• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe Calzaghe

That's what I felt too unfortunately. I mean as it turned out Hopkins was not over the hill then but Joe probably assumed he was.

Cost himself by only fighting in the UK too, I think the Hopkins and Jones ones were his only ones out of the UK

He beat Veit in their second fight in Germany. How many times has Hopkins fought outside his home country?

It's always amused me that American fighters aren't held to the same standard.

Froch is the kind of fight where Calzaghe would have looked sensational, all wrong for Froch.

Calzaghe ducked real challenges and his resume is real thin, the big names he beat were pretty much washed. Kessler was a great win I'll admit. Hopkins fight I've watched a few times and I still struggle to score it in favour of Calzaghe. Primes Jones and Hopkins were on a different level I think and would have won handily.

I think he went out at the right time as some real competition was coming through like Froch, Pascal, Taylor, Abraham, Dirrell. I think he knew it was time to get out as he would have been defeated.

Joe was smart I think. He took safe fights and cornered a market where he could reasonably draw.

To be frank, America is not the best at promoting 175 and 200s (the latter especially). I don't think he was missing out on much, and he got to fight RJJ and Hopkins for easy cash grabs and mainstream recognition.

I remember seeing Joe on ESPN (I live in the states) and thinking "wow this guy is an undefeated champion too...?", then I realized how that isn't that big of a deal in boxing lol.

Back