• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Poatan's power at LHW

Honestly, Rumble was the only one who came to mind. I know Chuck, Rampage and Wand hit hard but there's something different about Rumble and Alex. Touch of death is real with these guys.
Alex is definitely top 3 all time at LHW.
Don't see anybody but Rumble or Alex killing Glover in a round. Chuck and Rampage as much as I love them are not in the same wavelength when it comes to sheer power.

Gun to my head, between taking a clean punch from Alex or Rumble, i'd go with Alex. He can generate more power cause of his technique, but a Rumble bomb seemed scarier.

Gun to my head, between taking a clean punch from Alex or Rumble, i'd go with Alex. He can generate more power cause of his technique, but a Rumble bomb seemed scarier.
Yeah but rumble usually caught people early, like Hendricks. Trying to bum rush,and use physicality.

Poatan can hit you with that thing at any time during the fight with no diminished effectiveness

It was the fight vs Thomas Powell where Big John described the NOISE when he hit Powell -- said it was like.... bullwhip landing or something of that nature.... and I fuckin recall hearing it land lol. Lemme look....

The noise of the kick then the left hook is like.... what the fuck.... and then Powell stayed down, and I mean STAYED down to the point where I was genuinely concerned. That kind of power is off the charts crazy, so say whatever ya want .... watch or not, hell, just put on the audio -- cause it sounds like crack, pop, and THUD all back to back to back :)

1 min mark in fight time to skip it -- 4:20 into the vid.

I think its not just power.
Alex is a Powerfull hitter, yeah, but I think his precision is even better.
He knows how to lure you and counter
he also can throw that left from weird angles and catch dudes by surprise. Like vs Hill, he loaded it like a hook then landed it almost like a shovel punch that came up under jamahal's chin

Don't see anybody but Rumble or Alex killing Glover in a round. Chuck and Rampage as much as I love them are not in the same wavelength when it comes to sheer power.
Fucking insane that a former middleweight (huge MW sure but still) and a former WW are two of the heaviest punchers at LHW.

touch of death is a good way of putting it it doesnt look like he put a lot behind it the shots are short and fast
MMA fans often misuse the term touch of death but it's completely accurate here.
Even against Hill, he didn't land completely. When he did (against Izzy in the second kickboxing fight) dude needed oxygen.

I was rewatching the Jiri vs Rakic fight and holy shit, Jiri endured dozens and dozens of punches to the face and while he was stunned a few times, it was never really bad. He simply outlasted and then sonned Rakic which makes Alex look like a god. Guy hit Jiri clean one time and yeah, early stoppage but Jiri was clearly hurt. He couldn't knock out Jan but that was months after his own KO loss and it was at altitude so sorta understandable. Knocking out Hill for the first time (and didn't even connect cleanly) is super impressive too.
Would you say Alex is the hardest hitting /best KO artist LHW ever? combining power and precision. If not him, who would you rank above him? Rumble? Chuck?
Except you're not quite right, Alex hit Jiri with a right hook-left hook combo, and the left hook was right on the chin and Jiri didn't see it coming. Not one punch at all, and Jiri was still in the fight. Then Alex elbowed Jiri right in the temple in the same spot like 10 times, to end the fight.

He probably does hit the hardest out of anyone. He doesn't have to wind up his punches much either like Chuck Liddell, Jiri, Rumble etc.

I'd say top 5-7 at LHW. Definitely not nearly as heavy a hitter as Rumble Johnson, not even in the ballpark.

Interesting. I can get rumble but who else would you rank above him?
Liddell, the others would be tied probably. So I guess 2 guys off the top of my head and a few others I'd have tied with Alex. Like a dark horse KO guy for example is Magomed. Guys in their prime like Vitor or Wanderlei hit hella hard too. I'm tired so not my best answer. lol

Back