Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

Waitrose (UK Supermarket) do an "exclusive" No.1 Woodford Reserve which is even better than the standard. It's the same strength as the Distiller's Select so may well be the same (or very similar) expression.
I've not tried the double oaked though but I've a sneaking suspicion I'd really like it. One of my go-to whiskies is Laphroaig Quarter Cask which, due to the casks influence, has a shit-ton of oakiness to it and is all the better for it.
I guess that's what I'm buying next :)
Looks like a trip to Waitrose is on the cards once I'm off my next work rotation.

Waitrose actually has a really decent selection of booze.

Looks like a trip to Waitrose is on the cards once I'm off my next work rotation.

Waitrose actually has a really decent selection of booze.
Yeah they really do, it's the only supermarket (to my knowledge) that stocks things like Redbreast 12, Eagle Rare, Makers 46, Laphroaig Lore etc. (I've only tried the first of those, but have my eye on the rest!).
I'm not sure if the No.1 Woodford is available year round or if it's seasonal. I got a bottle at Christmas when it was on sale and was really impressed. If they don't have it they should have the standard Woodford Reserve which is still a really nice drop.

Any vacation plans, pub? I'll be in Italy in late September and am already stoked.

Unfortunately, the most travel I'm likely to do is just jaunting up and down the country a wee bit. I do really want to go visit Queenstown this year again though - and I also had plans of my first ski season in years this year as well.

If things go really well, you never know though - I could wind up going across to Australia for a short bit at some point. Would love to revisit Melbourne when things there are a bit less hectic, especially to go watch some fights.

That's a great area. TONS of excellent fishing around there. I deer hunt about a half hour east of there at my buddy's house.
All he does now that he is in the middle of a divorce is fish. He's living the bachelor dream. New pad he owns, sweet new fishing boat, Nurse Practitioner making good bank working when he wants, mining bitcoin like a BOSS...

@xPINKx I'm booked for a cruise in march 2022, then off to the condo on the Gulf coast of Florida. I'm also looking to take the family to Scotland for a 2 week trip in September 2022.

My wife and kids have been to Italy the last couple of years, I still haven't been.

It's definitely worth a trip. I've spent many of my vacations as a kid there and still like to go. You really get a wide variety of things to do, see and eat. And the tourist infrastructure is really good, too.

Awesome! Hope you like it!
I don't think I'm going to spring for the Laphroaig, I've been reading reviews and also consulted my whisky opus (?!) and it states it has a hardcore peaty, medicinal taste. That's not really what I look for in a whisky, I've had similar before which hasn't done it for me at all.

I don't think I'm going to spring for the Laphroaig, I've been reading reviews and also consulted my whisky opus (?!) and it states it has a hardcore peaty, medicinal taste. That's not really what I look for in a whisky, I've had similar before which hasn't done it for me at all.
Kinda like the first sip of Killbeggan...

Ah yeah, I should probably have mentioned that.
The best way I can describe it is:
It's like kissing Angelina Jolie next to a campfire by the sea, when it's just started to rain, after you've both been eating authentic southern barbecue...

*Rest assured there's nothing peaty going on with the Woodford Reserve; however, out of the bourbons I've had, it's definitely the one with the most whisky (Highland/Speyside) flavour notes.

Kinda like the first sip of Killbeggan...
I've not tried too many Irish whiskeys (comparatively anyway), Killbeggan included.
I did buy a bottle of Redbreast 12 last year which is really nice, but if anything a bit too 'polite' for my taste. I can see why people love it though, if that style is their thing.

Back