Jobs where Nothing Happens

In college I had a job that was awesome, but sucked at the same time. I was at a Goodwill dropoff center. It was basically a large semi-trailer. I'd sit there when people dropped off items. I'd just put the bags or boxes in these very large, heavy duty boxes on pallets. So ltierally, all I did was take the bags/boxes and put it into the bigger boxes when someone dropped off. Some days I'd hae 1-2 dropoffs per hour, other days may be 1-2 dropoffs per 2 hours, other days it may be 1-2 dropoffs per 3 hours. I was allowed to read, play guitar, or do whatever else. I'd estimate I did actually 10 minutes of work for every 2 hours. They eventually got rid of the dropoff site and I didn't want to go from working such an easy job like that to working in the store.
i had a job as an unloader at a Value Village, it wasn't like that, constant unloads and constant complaining from the other workers about my work, mainly just because I was new and they liked things stacked just so. Also, I was not as assertive as I am now and I allowed people to run all over me, bringing tubs and shit, or, the drivers would always want to yak while I worked (they were always nuts for whatever reason) and they would "help" me unload but they wouldn't do it right and I'd have to hear about it. I quit after one complaint too many. I've not had many jobs where, no matter how well I did (people generally knew I worked very hard) people weren't happy about something or other and that's always the reasons I left, except for times I wasn't paid or one time I got injured.

Then what do you do to unwind when you come home after work?
Thats a tough one. At least if your working in the day time, there should be something out there for you to do...but you work overnight on a job like that...ehhhhh

Third shift in a jail. Unless the unit is rowdy, you do a tour every 30 mins and sit on your ass the rest of the shift.

Bartending jobs could be like that when it's slow. I remember days when my GF would open up the bar at 10 AM and I'd bring her food around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and she hadn't had one customer yet.

I worked at a stable/horse track for a few years. I mostly played dynasty warriors 5 and 4 and nhl with Jerome Iginla on the cover and would just blast through seasons and shot cans after 4 pm on weekdays and raided the restaurant after it closed.

Now nothing ever happened ....mostly... but when it did it was usually a huge ordeal. Bad injuries, cpr , loose horses and flooding, some dickhead in a Mercedes (always a Mercedes)trying to fight you threaten you or intimidate you for assorted nonsense that you had to prevent them from doing ( do you know who the fuck I am!), barn brawls.... You always new sooner or later you'd have to pay full price for the right to fuck around all the time.

Was a great gig and I really enjoyed my time there and all the fun people I got to spend time with and all the hijinx I got up to while being on the clock.

When I was a bus driver sometimes, especially in winter, I would drive a whole route with no passengers.

Every nuclear power station in the UK is guarded by the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.

homepage-right-top.jpg

They all go through police and armed police training and selection, then probably some extra nuclear police training and selection, and basically nothing happens. I bet you could do a 30 year career and never actually respond to an incident. I wonder what they do all day? Walk around a bit. Drive the car around the site for a bit. Look at CCTV. Seems like that would cover it. Actually from a quick look it seems their main proactive roles are mutual aid, where they go and help other police forces which have suddenly got a lot to do, or spying on nuclear protestors. Security guards aren't allowed guns in the UK so unless you were to make an exception to that rule, if you want armed guards you could only use either the police or the military. There is an elite group of the Marines (43 Commando Fleet Protection Group) who guard the Navy's nuclear weapons, but they rotate them through other jobs as well.

If they are anything like their counterparts in the U.S., they train all day.

I've been to a lot of nuke plants. Diablo Canyon's security team scared the crap out of me as I was driving out. I didn't realize their live fire range was right there across from the top parking lot stop sign, where I was pulling out. They have some heavy duty automatic weapons. I thought I was in a war zone until I figured out what the deal was. It was unexpected.

They do say the nuclear officer on a Submarine / Carrier is the easiest as they never have anything to do.

saw this thread again, and it reminded me of a job one of my college buddies got out of school. night i.t. security at a data center. literally just sit there babysitting servers in case one goes out. there were almost zero issues, and even if there was an issue, all he had to do was place a request for the actual server guy to come by to fix it lol. he'd get to work, set up a loud alarm on all his phone, text, and email notifications, and then literally sleep. he told me there were days he'd literally sleep all the way through..

Back