Job interview/beard: To shave or not to shave?

The Green Lantern

Beware My Power...
@Black
Reaction score
So, I have a job interview with Amazon next Friday. Don't like the redneck assholes I work for atm, been here too long and need a change, etc, but that isn't the topic.

I have a beard that I have been growing for a year+ (pretty long atp), and am on the fence as to whether or not I should shave it off to appear more professional. I mean, it's a common thing for people to have beards nowadays and I really don't want to get rid of mine.

I want the job, so odds are that I will shave it off and keep my stache' which is pretty big/long and more impressive than the beard tbh, but I would rather just keep it all. However, I thought I would seek some input from the Berry beforehand.

Do I show up rocking the beard and just hope they are open-minded, or do I sell out and shave it off?

Thoughts?

If beards are clean and tidy I don't see an issue. But I believe perception of a tidy beard also falls within a reasonable length as well. That is, even if well kept, a large beard is not always perceived as such.

Good luck in the interview all the same.

Keep growing it and leave it unkempt. Intimidate them with your manliness so they have to give you the job.

As long as it looks well kept I say keep it, if you're rocking loose pubeage, I say get rid.

I personally wouldn't take the chance, especially if you want the job that bad. Just shave it, it'll grow back.

If beards are clean and tidy I don't see an issue. But I believe perception of a tidy beard also falls within a reasonable length as well. That is, even if well kept, a large beard is not always perceived as such.

Good luck in the interview all the same.

Thanks for the well wishes, bro.

Everybody has different perceptions in regards to beards, it seems. My family at X-Mas dinner (who all hate it btw) was saying I look like a jihadi lol. When I go out though, I am always getting compliments on it. I feel it may be better to err on the side of caution in this case and just get rid of the beard. I sure don't want to though...

Unless you're interviewing to work at a vegan food store or lumber jacking shave dat beard

I think that if this is a really hard decision for you, then you're not that professional and not someone that Amazon needs.

I was going to say removing facial hair for a professional interview is crazy - anyone backwards enough to have a problem with it isn't someone you want to work for.

However, when you say a year's beard, plus a stache that is "pretty big/long and more impressive than the beard"...this is entirely different.

I'd probably consider that as a negative, if I'm the interviewer. I'd recommend trimming WAY down.

I work at an MNC, they don't like beards there let me tell you that much.

I would advise shave. They wouldn't let on but they will be perturbed for sure ��

Trim it nice and neat - keep it trimmed until you find out what kind of environment you'll be working in, then decide to keep it trim at all times, or grow it back out with vengeance.

I've had a beard for the better part of 7yrs now. and I've never once had a failed interview because of a nice, neat, and trimmed beard. this is only an interview, so impress the shit out of them with or without beard. they will tell you whether or not you need to be clean shaven for the job itself.

Be yourself, man. Rock the beard.

Story time:

My dad told me about a a bank job he was applying for. He had (either dreadlocks or his hair braided, can't remember which), but decided to shave his head and look "professional" for the interview.

He walks into that bank and everyone in there had their hair braided or in dreads.

He didn't get the job.

Thanks for the well wishes, bro.

Everybody has different perceptions in regards to beards, it seems. My family at X-Mas dinner (who all hate it btw) was saying I look like a jihadi lol. When I go out though, I am always getting compliments on it. I feel it may be better to err on the side of caution in this case and just get rid of the beard. I sure don't want to though...

I always trim mine right down for interviews. Beards are considered stylish now and you see execs and high up people rocking them, but normally clean and lined up for the most part. Having a nice trimmed lined up beard is a great look for an interview.

Good luck btw

Of course you shave before going to a job interview. You're not watching a duck dynasty marathon with a bunch of rednecks. You're looking for a job. Try to appear professional and respectable.

Depends on what job it is!

If the beard could be a health hazard or your appearance could upset the public/customers, then shave it. If not then just make sure that it is clean and groomed.

Of course you shave before going to a job interview. You're not watching a duck dynasty marathon with a bunch of rednecks. You're looking for a job. Try to appear professional and respectable.

& then find out that the interviewer has a beard themselves! :D

If it's neatly trimmed and well managed, it's probably not a problem.

I shaved mine for an interview years ago and then grew it back after I got the job.

Back