Job interview/beard: To shave or not to shave?

I think it all depends on your skillset.

We just hired a guy that has a beard like Bray Wyatt, from the WWE. Typically, he probably wouldn't have gotten hired. However, he has a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering, so we need him.

On the flip side, i bet if a clean shaven man with a Masters Degree in chemical engineering came in, hed get the job over Bray Wyatt. Even if they had the same exact type of interview.

I think to be safe, TS should trim da beard.

Thanks for the well wishes, bro.

Everybody has different perceptions in regards to beards, it seems. My family at X-Mas dinner (who all hate it btw) was saying I look like a jihadi lol. When I go out though, I am always getting compliments on it. I feel it may be better to err on the side of caution in this case and just get rid of the beard. I sure don't want to though...

Facial hair is a pretty wide net. You're not getting rejected if you come in looking neat and clean like Sean Connery sporting a beard unless the hiring manager is an ex-military nut who has a clean shaven fetish. In that case you wouldn't want to work someone like that anyway. If you're sporting something more extreme like Ricki Hall you need to take a lot more caution on the company. Key is always to keep in neat and make sure you counteract have a really good suit and shoes.

Paddle your own canoe brother.......

nick-offerman-conan.jpg

Trim the beard, go see a proper barber and get him to give you a smart haircut aswel. Wear a quality suit and good shoes. And be confident in the interview, be proud of who you are and what you can do. If they can't see that then they don't deserve you and your skill set.

As someone who has hired/fired people in the past, I hate when people turn up to interviews all dressed up and neat but turn up looking like slobs when they start work. It's deceptive.

Don't shave the beard off, anyone who says that is shit scared of "the man". Trying to turn us all into hairless automatons!

I'm slightly biased because I have a beard but I keep mine trimmed and neat. No way in hell I'd shave it off for an interviewer, this is me, this is the man you are hiring.

What could potentially happen is that you shave it all off then get the job and grow it back and they call you into the office one day and tell you to get rid of it!

keep the beard, wax your asshole

It amazes me how people feel their candidacy will be negated by something as stupid as pocket squares or facial hair type. If the interviewer scratches you off the list because of either of these things, then you flatly didn't convey that you are valuable enough for the position.

EXACTLY this.

worst case scenario, after you convey your value, they'll tell you that you need to be clean shaven for the position.

If you pretty Up your beard it defeats the purpose of looking like a man.

Go with the stubble

It may vary a bit by region, but for the most part a well-groomed beard is seen as no less professional than being clean shaven these days. You could be interviewed by a fossil who still thinks otherwise, but you're just as likely to be interviewed by someone who finds it makes you look older and more professional. A professional trim is a good idea, though.

Thanks for the well wishes, bro.

Everybody has different perceptions in regards to beards, it seems. My family at X-Mas dinner (who all hate it btw) was saying I look like a jihadi lol. When I go out though, I am always getting compliments on it. I feel it may be better to err on the side of caution in this case and just get rid of the beard. I sure don't want to though...

When I had a full-length beard, I got a lot of complements on it. That didn't stop quite a lot of the Egyptians from shouting "Hey! Osama! Osama!" from afar or the British Security Service from pulling me aside at immigration to ask when I converted to Islam in a small room with overhead lighting, then leaving me there while they checked out my story.

On the flip side, i bet if a clean shaven man with a Masters Degree in chemical engineering came in, hed get the job over Bray Wyatt. Even if they had the same exact type of interview.

I think to be safe, TS should trim da beard.
Boom...

Shave, get the job, grow it back.

...and boom.

You also have to consider that the vast majority of HR personnel are women... who generally do not like beards. Your best bet is to shave completely or keep it trim to a few millimeters.

Amazon has a lot of hipster douches working there, you should be fine.

Women don't like beards? Are you fucking kidding me?

Pretty sure men love beards more than women, bro. I know the consensus around men is that beards display their masculinity/toughness/alpha etc but most girls I've come across don't really care for facial hair.

That's not to say they all dont but a lot dont. If you want a job, are you willing to take that chance that the hr rep does, over a clean shaven Channing Tatum type look.

Of course this is all if the hr rep were female which it might not be considering the newer diversity I've seen in HR roles

Pretty sure men love beards more than women, bro. I know the consensus around men is that beards display their masculinity/toughness/alpha etc but most girls I've come across don't really care for facial hair.

That's not to say they all dont but a lot dont. If you want a job, are you willing to take that chance that the hr rep does, over a clean shaven Channing Tatum type look.

Of course this is all if the hr rep were female which it might not be considering the newer diversity I've seen in HR roles

"facial hair" is too broad.

The majority of women like the stubble look, actually.

In terms of hierarchy, it's:

stubble > clean shaven > full beards

Some random Esquire article from the summer about a ebay fashion beard survey is your proof?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/14451/20140901/women-dont-like-beards-as-much-as-men-do.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/women-hate-beards-men-insist-wearing-article-1.1874815

C'mon, son.

You're currently exhibiting the phenomenon wherein someone hunkers down and denies any evidence presented to them in a debate that contradicts their preconceived notions.

Thats what i was referring to. Sorry for the misuse of words. I'm only debating the subject of full beards like the TS mentions.

The exact same women I mentioned as examples loved my stubble.

I've been rocking what I call the 5 day shadow look for years. They all love it.

For interviews, though, I shave completely (thus transforming into a 12 year old) then regrow.

Back