Jiu Jitsu and hygiene

edit: ...or I thought he was being facetious. I didn't think gi/belt material would let you go straight through by hand.

It's very easy.

Can you stab someone with a needle through the material? If so, you can sew through it too.

It's really like two minutes on a belt stripe, and it's just as easy as it seems. You stab a little piece of string through it all around. Then you tie it in place so it doesn't become unstabbed.

Can't you actually wash your clothing by hanging it outside in the sun? I remember reading somewhere that if it is really bright and not humid, you can just hang clothing to dry and the UV rays will disinfect it. That said, I think you need to leave it out for awhile.

Common sense isn't very common, Obama is our president for fucks sake! Twice !! Never underestimate the stupid level

Can't you actually wash your clothing by hanging it outside in the sun? I remember reading somewhere that if it is really bright and not humid, you can just hang clothing to dry and the UV rays will disinfect it. That said, I think you need to leave it out for awhile.

I believe in soap and water more. Wash your shit!

Hypothetically yes. But you would have to make sure all the surface of the GI got exposed. like the insides of the arm etc. Which seems more trouble than it's worth.

All of my belts happen to be pretty damn thick, so I had it set in my mind that I would need an actual sewing machine to make any modifications.

Most sewing machines would have a rough time with that. Get a lok eye needle

2sb357c.jpg

Wow.

No, he was being facetious.

Do you have anyone IRL that can teach you? It's actually a very useful skill.

edit: ...or I thought he was being facetious. I didn't think gi/belt material would let you go straight through by hand.

I'll get my sister to do it. I'm assuming she knows how to sew, being a woman.

Not washing your stuff or keeping your nails short is disrespectful to your training partners. I don't want someones rancid ass sweat smell from their unwashed gi on me when I'm training. What kind of fucking morons don't understand basic hygiene? I know other people are going to be sweating on me but the least they can do is make some sort of effort to maintain basic cleanliness.

Obviously, there's always a risk of getting an infection even if you are clean. But coming in with your gi and gear smelling like muddy asshole is just inconsiderate.

I also understand that some people might not smell pleasant when working out even if they shower and stuff, and I don't have an issue with that, but they can at least keep their stuff clean.

Assuming that the sunlight hits every and all parts of your clothes for a period of time (at least an hour), yes.

But there's a reason why you normally wash the bloody clothes in soap and water BEFORE you hang it to dry.

Try to remember what soap does, and why water is unique.

Wash your Gi after every use
Wash your belt after every use
Keep your finger nails and toe nails clipped
Shower regularly
Brush your teeth before class

Instead of sowing the stripes you can just super glue the end that would lift off in the wash. My belt has been through over a hundred washes without a stripe coming off.

One of the most akward things I've had to do lately is tell a guy he can no longer train with my friends and I on open mat saturdays. This guy smoked and always had nasty cigarette breath, his gis reaked of fryed food and mildew and he constanty passed gas going as far as lifting his leg and letting one rip then laughing after he did it during warmups. I nicknamed him the Spleen like the character in Mystery Men.

Back