Jiu Jitsu and hygiene

Really disgusting.

I alternate using the two gis that I have, while one is in use the other is washing/drying. I wash every training session and luckily my city is sunny and hot enough to dry fast. I wash my belt less, maybe once every month.

People like you need be heel hooked upon entering any gym. The fact that it will smell doesn't bother me, the fact you might get sick doesn't bother me. Its the fact you could make other people sick, causing them to lose money and potentially really harming or even killing someone else.

You guys are the drunk drivers of the grappling community

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus

http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.co.nz/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html

Wash your damn belts people!

Thank you! That quote should be a sticky. Put your stupid superstitions aside and wash your damn belt along with your gi!

there is a logical disconnect in the minds of people who wash their gi but not the belt, makes even less sense than people who dont wash it at all because at least they have a consistent viewpoint

And still nothing tops the guy with the shit-stained pants. I mean the guy who not only shat his pants, but didn't wash them and trained with them again.

We had staph go through nearly the whole gym around a year ago, now most people are pretty vigilante, we have hygiene signs on the walls too.

We have one guy who has really long & stinky dreadlocks, the inductor made him get a hood type thing to cover them up. Looks like something you'd wear scuba diving.
That's fucking gross. Not only does he have dreadlocks that he never washes and smells like shit and petrulli oil but he's also training Bjj on top of it and adding sweat and whatever funk he gets along the way.

And still nothing tops the guy with the shit-stained pants. I mean the guy who not only shat his pants, but didn't wash them and trained with them again.

I think if I shat my pants in class I'd have to leave the country. How can you turn up with shit-stained pants? Ugh . . .

Why does anyone agree to roll with him? I'd just say, " I'm not rolling with you until you wash the shit stains out of your gi". Hopefully that would embarrass him into doing it but it seems he has no shame.

Does anyone else have a problem with strips coming off when washing belts?

Wow there are some bad stories in here. For me there seems to always be one or two people that just smell bad. Also there is the occasional person that sweats profusely and ends up using me as a towel when grappling. One of the reasons I like doing kickboxing or boxing better is because you don't have to deal with that as much.

Generally, if a dude has gnarly toe nails, or a rank gi, my coach will speak with him immediately.

I wonder though, if grappling gyms should have some sort of orientation pamphlet for new students regarding hygiene. This could be especially beneficial for a student who is coming from another martial art (like I did) in which there isn't as much direct contact and therefore less need to launder clothing after each and every class.

My gym has a few people who refuse to wash their stuff. I avoid them. One thinks that because he sprays his with lysol all is well. We have had repeated issues with ringworm, so bad i have defense soap at the school and i wash my limbs and spray down with vinegar before i leave.

That's if you can actually sew. I never learned how.

Tie a string to a miniature sword like implement and stab your belt repeatedly with it from both sides.

Tie a string to a miniature sword like implement and stab your belt repeatedly with it from both sides.

So you just go straight through? Oh, I imagined you had to stitch across the surface which sounds a lot harder.

I dont wash my belt every time, but if I dont I will spray it down with lysol. I do wash my gi every time though... cant imagine how anyone could go even a day without washing their gi, thats just disgusting.

My gym has a few people who refuse to wash their stuff. I avoid them. One thinks that because he sprays his with lysol all is well. We have had repeated issues with ringworm, so bad i have defense soap at the school and i wash my limbs and spray down with vinegar before i leave.
Jesus fucking christ.....

I dont wash my belt every time, but if I dont I will spray it down with lysol. I do wash my gi every time though... cant imagine how anyone could go even a day without washing their gi, thats just disgusting.

If you wash your gi every time, what's stopping you from just throwing your belt in the same load of laundry????

Here in Brazil people don

Last edited:
So you just go straight through? Oh, I imagined you had to stitch across the surface which sounds a lot harder.

You can do it either way. I would just go straight through for the belt to make it easy.

Push your needle through one side. When it comes out the other side, move it a little bit over, and then push it back through. Just keep doing this along the outline of your stripe until it's on.

Obviously you have to tie a little knot in one end, use some scissors to cut it when you're done, etc. I assume you can figure that stuff out.

Back