Jiu Jitsu and hygiene

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by NoEnd, May 28, 2014.

1. NoEnd

NoEnd White Belt

Today we were drilling some throws in class, and somehow I got a considerable cut in my toe from my partner`s toenail.. I told him he should really cut his nails before coming to class...

Then later on in the locker room I heard a comment by another guy, some new white belt, who said he never washed his gi, always just hangs it to dry (he has been training for 4 months! ) . I was like

2. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

That guy is gross. Tell your instructor about his stanky ass.

mattemate likes this.
  3. 1neeto

1neeto Blue Belt

That's absolutely gross. A grown adult should not be told to wash his shit.

4. Toothless King

Toothless King Brown Belt

Douse the stinky noob with febreeze. He will get the point

5. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

That is fucking disgusting.

I know some people are just dirty, but do you think some guys have a bit of a "macho man smell" lackadaisical view on combat sports and hygiene?

Some of my male training partners in MT just STINK. They have just an absolutely horrible stench coming from their trunks and shirts. I know it's not them, because you can actually track the smell in the locker room moving from them to the gym bag. It ends up leading to most of our female training partners asking to work with me, because I make an effort to actually launder my training gear.

6. RTD1

RTD1 Blue Belt

LOL @ not washing a GI for 4 months.

7. workinghard72

workinghard72 White Belt

Nasty. I swear our instructor looks at everybody,s nails. He grabbed my arm right in the middle of rolling to check mine because he thought I scratched him but I was good. We have one guy whose breath smells like cigarettes and bologna and his pit's smell like a rotten Italian sub.I swear he does it on purpose.

8. orangeclay

orangeclay Orange Belt

Our instructors talk to new folk about this when they sign-up and then again as needed. We actually have a sign on the way out to the mats about clipping toe nails. Totally gross -tell your instructors so they can manage this before everyone gets some flavor of creeping crud.

9. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Talk to your instructor about that. It's disgusting. He needs to be talked to. Your instructor needs to address cleanliness to the class.

10. Diablo Ryu**

Diablo Ryu** Brown Belt

This one dude always farts during rolling and his wife beater under his gi looks fucking brown. Used to be white...now brown.

11. DeepHalf1l2

DeepHalf1l2 White Belt

Wow, 4 months without washing his gi? That's just disgusting. Everyone should wash their gi's right after practice. However, I disagree with the belt. Don't know many people that actually wash their belts.

12. 1neeto

1neeto Blue Belt

So is the belt anti-bacterial or something? I've heard the whole "washing away the knowledge" thing before but really, leaving your belt dirty is just about as nasty as not washing your gi. My belt hits the washer with my gi every single time.

Oshime2 likes this.
  13. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

In my opinion if someone has poor hygiene they shouldn't be aloud to come as it should be a rule at the dojo, I'm only a white belt my self but I've never rolled with anyone with bad hygiene thankfully.

14. SinkOrSwim

SinkOrSwim White Belt

We had staph go through nearly the whole gym around a year ago, now most people are pretty vigilante, we have hygiene signs on the walls too.

We have one guy who has really long & stinky dreadlocks, the inductor made him get a hood type thing to cover them up. Looks like something you'd wear scuba diving.

15. Toothless King

Toothless King Brown Belt

People who don't wash their belts are just as disgusting as people don't wash their GI

dimmyfinster and Oshime2 like this.
  16. FinBJJ

FinBJJ Black Belt

That's seriously disgusting. I've heard some newbie say "I should probably wash my gi again". Made me wonder how often he washes it. I wash my shit after every practice.

The instructors mention hygiene multiple times during beginners course and remind everyone after class if they spot some dirty bastard.

17. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

Yes my instructor tells students to cut nails and wash their gis. As owner/manager of a gym, all instructors should iterate this to new students.

18. Lemniscate

Lemniscate White Belt

Gis should be washed after every training session along with belts. I find the whole 'washing out the spirit' or whatever of the belt, retarded. Like seriously, wash your shit. I'd tell the instructor.

dimmyfinster likes this.
  19. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Four months is fucking brutal.

20. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

People like you need be heel hooked upon entering any gym. The fact that it will smell doesn't bother me, the fact you might get sick doesn't bother me. Its the fact you could make other people sick, causing them to lose money and potentially really harming or even killing someone else.

You guys are the drunk drivers of the grappling community

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus
    http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.co.nz/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html

dimmyfinster likes this.