Jiu Jitsu and hygiene

NoEnd

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Today we were drilling some throws in class, and somehow I got a considerable cut in my toe from my partner`s toenail.. I told him he should really cut his nails before coming to class...

Then later on in the locker room I heard a comment by another guy, some new white belt, who said he never washed his gi, always just hangs it to dry (he has been training for 4 months! ) . I was like

That guy is gross. Tell your instructor about his stanky ass.

That's absolutely gross. A grown adult should not be told to wash his shit.

That is fucking disgusting.

I know some people are just dirty, but do you think some guys have a bit of a "macho man smell" lackadaisical view on combat sports and hygiene?

Some of my male training partners in MT just STINK. They have just an absolutely horrible stench coming from their trunks and shirts. I know it's not them, because you can actually track the smell in the locker room moving from them to the gym bag. It ends up leading to most of our female training partners asking to work with me, because I make an effort to actually launder my training gear.

LOL @ not washing a GI for 4 months.

Nasty. I swear our instructor looks at everybody,s nails. He grabbed my arm right in the middle of rolling to check mine because he thought I scratched him but I was good. We have one guy whose breath smells like cigarettes and bologna and his pit's smell like a rotten Italian sub.I swear he does it on purpose.

Our instructors talk to new folk about this when they sign-up and then again as needed. We actually have a sign on the way out to the mats about clipping toe nails. Totally gross -tell your instructors so they can manage this before everyone gets some flavor of creeping crud.

Talk to your instructor about that. It's disgusting. He needs to be talked to. Your instructor needs to address cleanliness to the class.

This one dude always farts during rolling and his wife beater under his gi looks fucking brown. Used to be white...now brown.

Wow, 4 months without washing his gi? That's just disgusting. Everyone should wash their gi's right after practice. However, I disagree with the belt. Don't know many people that actually wash their belts.

Wow, 4 months without washing his gi? That's just disgusting. Everyone should wash their gi's right after practice. However, I disagree with the belt. Don't know many people that actually wash their belts.

So is the belt anti-bacterial or something? I've heard the whole "washing away the knowledge" thing before but really, leaving your belt dirty is just about as nasty as not washing your gi. My belt hits the washer with my gi every single time.

In my opinion if someone has poor hygiene they shouldn't be aloud to come as it should be a rule at the dojo, I'm only a white belt my self but I've never rolled with anyone with bad hygiene thankfully.

We had staph go through nearly the whole gym around a year ago, now most people are pretty vigilante, we have hygiene signs on the walls too.

We have one guy who has really long & stinky dreadlocks, the inductor made him get a hood type thing to cover them up. Looks like something you'd wear scuba diving.

People who don't wash their belts are just as disgusting as people don't wash their GI

That's seriously disgusting. I've heard some newbie say "I should probably wash my gi again". Made me wonder how often he washes it. I wash my shit after every practice.

The instructors mention hygiene multiple times during beginners course and remind everyone after class if they spot some dirty bastard.

Yes my instructor tells students to cut nails and wash their gis. As owner/manager of a gym, all instructors should iterate this to new students.

Gis should be washed after every training session along with belts. I find the whole 'washing out the spirit' or whatever of the belt, retarded. Like seriously, wash your shit. I'd tell the instructor.

People like you need be heel hooked upon entering any gym. The fact that it will smell doesn't bother me, the fact you might get sick doesn't bother me. Its the fact you could make other people sick, causing them to lose money and potentially really harming or even killing someone else.

You guys are the drunk drivers of the grappling community

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus
there have been increasing numbers of reports of outbreaks of MRSA colonization and infection through skin contact in locker rooms and gyms, even among healthy populations...
a high school football player was temporarily paralyzed from MRSA-infected turf burns. His infection returned in January 2007 and required three surgeries to remove infected tissue, as well as three weeks of hospital stay...
(CDC) estimated that about 1.7 million nosocomial infections occurred in the United States in 2002, with 99,000 associated deaths...
the number of deaths in the United Kingdom attributed to MRSA has been estimated by various sources to lie in the area of 3,000 per year

http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.co.nz/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html
I would imagine a sweaty cotton belt would be a perfect place for bacteria to set up shop. So if the goal is to encourage the growth of bacteria (cos remember S. epidermidis

Back