Rewatch Jiri's Performance Against Reyes Is Very Underrated

AstralPanda

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Poatan is right. Jiri's style is very tricky to understand. It's like the embodiment of chaos, with no discernable pattern.

This was a good version of Reyes too. He wasn't shot. But he just had nothing for Jiri.

Much as I love Poatan, i think the chaos combined with an undying will to walk through fire will lead Jiri to a finish here. Even though on paper, Poatan is the superior striker.

Both these guys are warriors in the fullest sense of the word though. Anything can happen.

Jiri was too hittable by Glover imo.
Poatans training partner. Yes i know threat of the takedown was higher with Glover so that helps.

But this is why they fight ... cuz none of us know for sure what will happen.

Im just hoping for a war between the two.

Jiri legit walked Reyes down. Just constant pressure. Reyes trying to circle out and Jiri immediately cutting off the cage and greeting him with bombs. Reyes landed a few good, clean shots in the second round, and Jiri just ate them like it was nothing. Never really separated and gave any time for Reyes to reset mentally.

Mighty Mouse made a really good breakdown video of that fight, and believes, based on it, that Jiri is gonna give Alex problems bc Alex won't have time to think.

Jiri was too hittable by Glover imo.
Poatans training partner. Yes i know threat of the takedown was higher with Glover so that helps.

But this is why they fight ... cuz none of us know for sure what will happen.

Im just hoping for a war between the two.
Yes, that's why I was surprised going back and watching the Reyes fight. He looked much better than i was expecting. Even his defense was strong.

Seems like all of that went out the window against Glover. Maybe he spent so much of that camp grappling that his striking was a fair bit more careless.

Jiri legit walked Reyes down. Just constant pressure. Reyes trying to circle out and Jiri immediately cutting off the cage and greeting him with bombs. Reyes landed a few good, clean shots in the second round, and Jiri just ate them like it was nothing. Never really separated and gave any time for Reyes to reset mentally.

Might Mouse made a really good breakdown video of that fight, and believes, based on it, that Jiri is gonna give Alex problems bc Alex won't have time to think.
Interesting. I'll check that out. Prior to rewatching this fight, I was going Poatan.

But yeah, Jiri is a very real threat here.

Mighty Mouse made a really good breakdown video of that fight, and believes, based on it, that Jiri is gonna give Alex problems bc Alex won't have time to think.

Jiri was wobbled and went for a desperation takedown in the 2nd round. Video is right there for u to confirm

Jiri actaully got flashed KO'd in that fight. He's a talented and exciting fighter, but he takes way too much damage for a top fighter.

Seems people are missing Jiri getting one shakry legs and wobbled bad in the second round.

Just rewatched the video.

Jiri is too wild and will get KO'ed stiff by a professional kickboxer.

Even Adesanya couldn't stand with him on the feet (that shot that dropped him was thrown out of desperation and for some reason sent Alex from 100% to 0% instantly.. I guess he had no chin at MW or suffered more from weight cutting than we knew)

He had the same kind of performance against Nemkov, King Mo and even Reyes to some extent. It's just the way he fights if the opponent doesn't drop fast - high pace and eventually outlast them.
Bellator also-ran Karl Albrektsson also took Jiri down and beat him up in RIZIN, Jiri just weathered the storm and got the fight standing and knocked him out. Jiri has been in trouble in the majority of his fights, going all the way back, still wins. A lot of the people citing the Glover fight haven't seen Jiri fight prior to the UFC. Es normal.

Poatan is right. Jiri's style is very tricky to understand. It's like the embodiment of chaos, with no discernable pattern.

This was a good version of Reyes too. He wasn't shot. But he just had nothing for Jiri.

Much as I love Poatan, i think the chaos combined with an undying will to walk through fire will lead Jiri to a finish here. Even though on paper, Poatan is the superior striker.

Both these guys are warriors in the fullest sense of the word though. Anything can happen.

Personally I felt at the time Reyes was a bit lucky to last as long as he did, took a lot of shots that had the potential to be fight enders in the first round.

If Jiri gets hit like he has been in getting rocked before. He is going to sleep. Jiri is good and tough to train for but Alex is another level in striking

Lets have a look at Reyes run:

- Jones UD loss
- Jan TKO loss
- Jiri KO loss <<<---- third consecutive loss for Reyes, second consecutive knockout loss
- Spann KO loss

When you're the third of four guys in a row to beat Reyes, sandwiched in the middle of 3 consecutive knockout losses, there really isn't much to say.

Reyes took a lot of damage in the Jones fight, literally has never won a fight since. He doesn't belong fighting MMA and should be doing something else after that much brain trauma.

Back