• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JESSICA JONES (Cancelled After Season 3)

Simpson wasn't hokey and neither was the lawyer stuff. That was all played straight and was believable. It was not nearly as bad as the ninja shit or the bizarre, nonsensical love story between Kingpin and Cassandra.

The whole Simpson storyline was bizarre and nonsensical.

Yeah, my honey keeps talking about him. I'm at the not him bit right now.

I just fucking love that she doesn't use her powers till she has to.

I know Agent whateverherface is is coming back to network TV but I'm so fucking glad we've got stuff like this in the meantime.

I like that the show isn't about her powers. Her powers make the show a little different and add an extra layer but it's about the human drama, the dialogue, the acting - unlike shitty superhero stuff that's just fighting and blowing stuff up, like that Superman movie

I couldn't get into agents of shield or agent carter or any of the network TV marvel shows. Hannibal is the only network show I've liked in a long time.

Eventually Jessica Jones is supposed to meet Daredevil too.

The whole Simpson storyline was bizarre and nonsensical.

I felt they sold it well. Better than the Kingpin love story, in any case. That came out of nowhere, I saw no reason for her to love him. At least they went to the trouble of having Simpson and her speak through the door.

I'm looking forward to see how they handle Simpson/Nuke in the future, especially if they adapt Born Again in some way in Daredevil.

Just finished.

Started out loving the show. By the end I thought that they want on 3 episodes too long.

If they're gonna have a binge watch series they might as well keep the story short and concise.

I give it a 7.5/10

The most interesting thing about the show is the negative reviews in this thread. I thought this show was better then Daredevil but the other opinions are 50/50.

This seems to be a like it or hate it series and I think finding out why that is is super interesting.

i liked the show very much. Solid 8/10.

Though the lawyer story was something i fast forwarded, the rest was top notch. The dialogue was way above the one in DD.

I didn't know anything about JJ or Luke Cage before watching it.

Is she the hottest TV Marvel woman ever? I think so

Not even close. Everyone from AOS is hotter, Jemma, May, Daisy, Bobbie.

Then you have Peggy Carter, and Karen Page above her as well.

Not even close. Everyone from AOS is hotter, Jemma, May, Daisy, Bobbie.

Then you have Peggy Carter, and Karen Page above her as well.

Hell, she's not even the hottest woman in her own show.

Nobody would spare her a second look while standing next to Trish Walker. Or next to Pam the secretary for that matter. I really took a liking to those dresses she likes to wear.

To say nothing of Claire.

At first the power level bothered me but based on what cap has done in his movies and avengers movies...i cant take issue with nuke handing Jessica Jones her ass...even if he isn't as strong as cap all the guys who have gone through any version of super soldier treatment has been shown to be incredibly strong...see winter soldier and the goons on aos...

Now it makes some sense even if he is a leader version

Hell, she's not even the hottest woman in her own show.

Nobody would spare her a second look while standing next to Trish Walker. Or next to Pam the secretary for that matter. I really took a liking to those dresses she likes to wear.

To say nothing of Claire.

This.:cool:

I felt they sold it well. Better than the Kingpin love story, in any case. That came out of nowhere, I saw no reason for her to love him. At least they went to the trouble of having Simpson and her speak through the door.

Really? With no comment on Kingpin/Cassandra, you thought they "sold it well" with Crazy Cop/Jessica's TV buddy? I thought it was at best troubling, at worst utter shit writing.

So, crazy cop guy assaults her, almost kills her, and even if she understands it wasn't his fault, him showing up at her door leads to romance after a few hours of chatting? This is Stockholm syndrome stuff going on right here. Maybe that's what they were going for, since in the first ten minutes of the show it pretty much raises of a flag of "WE'RE ALL BROKEN BUT STILL MAKING IT WORK!" and pretty much waves it right to the end. I didn't get any "trouble" being taken outside of trying to fit the show's theme, crammed down our throats every few minutes, of "every character is broken." The "romance" seemed like a glorified booty call with trauma sprinkled on top to me.

Maybe that's how they intended to spin this romance? Maybe? And maybe that works for a lot of people. For me, I found it pretty bloody stretched.

Update: November 26, 2015

Dragonlord's Review of Marvel's JESSICA JONES
(Spoilers)

Bottom Line: After Daredevil's fantastic first season run, Marvel and Netflix's sophomore outing in Jessica Jones is a big disappointment and tedious to finish due to the plot going around in circles and overall poor execution.

Jessica-Jones-Pictures-Dragonlord.jpg

Krysten Ritter plays the titular character who works as a private investigator and has enhanced physical abilities. She buries herself in her work and booze, trying to distance herself from her traumatic past. But when she takes on a case of a missing girl, Hope, Jessica discovers her former tormentor is still alive and more fixated in making her life miserable.

The first episode was pretty good. It establishes the main character, her PTSD, her alcoholism and her acerbic personality. We're also introduced to a variety of interesting supporting characters. The main villain Kilgrave (David Tennant) is briefly seen but his creepy, ominous presence is felt throughout. The show is also not shy of depicting risque sex scenes. The shocking ending to the first episode hooks you in with promises of greatness to come. Sadly, it never comes to fruition.

The whole series revolves around Kilgrave and makes the error of placing too much emphasis on the character. Every plot, direction and action Jessica takes is tied up to Kilgrave. This is a huge error on the show's part as the overall writing is not that strong to support the entire series. They should have thrown in 3 to 4 interesting random cases for Jessica to investigate as it would have been a nice change of pace and kept viewers from a burnout of too much Killgrave.

Jessica spends most of the series trying to capture Kilgrave and find proof of his powers to exonerate Hope for killing her parents, which also shackles the show. If you're like me, you'll quickly spot patterns of repetitiveness and retreads halfway through which makes viewing very tedious. This is most obvious when Kilgrave gets captured, escapes, and then gets captured and escapes again in the span of two episodes.

But when they killed Hope in episode 10, it just gets irritating. Hope was a frail shield used by the show to justify all the complicated hullabaloo on why Jessica just doesn't kill Kilgrave. Viewers had to endure tiresome scenarios one after another just so Kilgrave gets to live and escape. An acquitted Hope at the end was supposed to be the viewers' reward for suffering through all the drivel. Ultimately, Hope was just a flimsy plot device to drag the series to episode 11 where Jessica finally decides to kill Kilgrave if she sees him again.

Krysten Ritter gives a good dramatic performance as Jessica Jones but I felt that there are others who could have portrayed the character better (Sarah Shahi's Sameen Shaw but with a few tweaks in Person of Interest comes to mind). Not really relevant to the quality of the show but Jessica's wardrobe of leather jacket, jeans and boots gets wearisome to look at after a while. And going off topic altogether, I find Krysten to be not bad-looking but off-putting at the same time. Krysten's sleepy eyes and unappealing voice just doesn't click with me. Her beauty and cranky personality are very similar to Aubrey Plaza and Kat Dennings, which all three actresses are more suited to the snarky sidekick supporting roles.

Speaking of support, David Tennant is marvelously charismatic as Kilgrave but his character becomes increasingly pathetic as we get to learn more about him in which he is just revealed to be a manboy stalker. Rachael Taylor is solid as Jessica's best friend, Trish Walker (who is the superhero Hellcat in the comics). Carrie-Ann Moss is terrific as Attorney Jeri Hogarth, unfortunately she's underwritten and too much screen time is devoted to her divorce. Didn't really care about the junkie neighbor Malcolm.

Mike Colter looks great as Luke Cage. The show obviously (to me anyways) gave Luke a makeover to make him more of a romantic leading man, making him more soft-spoken, refined and profound. Unfortunately, his personality is a bit dull also. Though it was extremely coincidental that the cop Kilgrave ordered to kill Trish also happened to be part of a secret government program for enhanced combatants, I like Wil Traval as Will Simpson (Nuke as he is known in the comics).

The overall writing is shaky and the pacing is uneven at times but these can be overlooked or covered up if the action was good. Unfortunately, most of the action is limited to Jessica blandly shoving and tossing people around the room. The production values are good but there's just a sense of staleness when the scenery and other major action pieces keep reverting back to Jessica's office.

Overall, Marvel's Jessica Jones started out strong but falls apart midway due to the plot going around in circles and overall poor execution. If you want to see a superb Marvel female-led show, watch the criminally underrated season one of Agent Carter.

Rating: 5/10

Wow. This might be the first time we disagreed on a score, DL.

Jj was a pretty weak superhero.

When the group of killgrave survivors pushed their way into her house and she gets knocked out by crazy neighbor woman.

And like dragon said, she usually just pushes people.

Maybe she didnt want to hurt any of the survivors, but knock one the fuck out and the others would have stopped. Then she knew she was getting group attacked yet she turned her back and let her self get knocked out?

Jessica Jones is a pretty good show.

PS: Fuck Agent Carter

Agent Carter was much better. Dragonlord knows his shit.

Agent Carter was much better. Dragonlord knows his shit.

Agent Carter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JJ. That said, I think 5/10 is a bit harsh. It's get's a 7 from me, while DD remains the GOAT comic book series.

Now if we can just get some Jessica Jones level sex scenes in Agent Carter...hnnnggg...:icon_twis

If you want to see a strong Marvel female-led show, watch the criminally underrated season one of Agent Carter.

Missed the entire point of the show. Its not what JJ is about. She is a broken person who is massively unsure of her powers and her place in the world. She doesnt want to be a hero, but ends up being one anyway. Like all of the Defenders. You need to stop comparing it to other shows. Where DD was action with drama elements, JJ is a drama with action elements.

gotta agree with the dragon, and we don't agree often

Back