Jessamyn VS Raqeul- good, but overrated?

Some seriously deficient defense met under-powered offense. Was there really one time when the loser was in danger of being stopped? Not really. She wasn't even dropped.

The fight was boring and everyone knew what was going to happen in the 3rd round.

I don't think it was overrated at all.

It was one of the best fights I'd seen this year.

The exaggeration on the TUF forum for TUF 18 is ridiculous.
Im not following the season but while watching UFN 29, my twitter was being raped by comments about how Duke/Pennington was the best fight of all time, pretty much.

So, I just got round to watching it.

I saw a 'decent' fight between two rough-around-the-edges prospects. One 3-3 and the other 2-0-1.

I could see records like that on the prelims of KOTC for a start. The skills on display were no better either - in short, I saw a typical TUF highlight fight. One of the ones that you remember when the season ends for being a standout fight, but forget soon after things move on. Every season has 2-3 of them.

The difference of course, is this is the women and the UFC want you to believe that every women's fight is amazing.

The gullible fans swallow this, as they did with the flyweights. Remember when 125lbs arrived in the UFC? Every FOTN went to the flyweights, Dana and Rogan drummed it into us that if we didn't agree, we were clueless fans who didn't deserve to be watching, and a lot of people fell for it.

Now the women are here, flyweights have been thrown to one side and now the women are 'rocking it'.

Open your eyes, it's average MMA, you could see an equally good fight on CFA, RFA, ROC etc.

I disagree. I watched the episode without reading or hearing about any of the hype and I thought it was a great fight, there are also no commentators to sway opinions. Both fighters showed a lot of heart and came to fight, and had numerous good exchanges in the stand up. I was more entertained by this fight than half the fights I see on a ufc card. All my thoughts about this fight are from my own opinion and nothing to do with the ufc hype train. It was clearly not the greatest fight of all time but it was without a doubt a great fight and would easily win FOTN on many ufc cards.

so one guy is most male pro fighters?

some don't hit at all. google matt riddle
7.gif

even the women don't do this

:p

Compared to 90% of the fights on TUF, it was a tremendous fight. How often do you see a fighter go through 3 rounds on TUF with as much poise as Pennington? Her cardio, technique, and her toughness were very impressive. Duke was nearly as impressive herself.

For someone who has never liked WMMA (I only watch UFC/SF/WEC, so I know I've missed some good ones), I loved that it didn't seem like WMMA. It was two hard-working and talented fighters giving everything they had. That line being blurred is what women want, so it was a great fight for them.

It was a good fight, and not much more.

There's been a not so subtle attempt to promote it as a big coming out for WMMA, along the lines of Bonnar/Griffin (which wasn't that great of a fight itself). I guess it kind of is in the sense that it was more a more composed display of skills then we have typically seen thus far in the UFC and on the show.

I liked the 2nd round but by the 3rd round I was starting to get bored. Certainly not the best women's fight ever. That'd have to be any fight with Gina Carano, on account of the fact that she's an angel.

Seriously guys, how long will you remember this fight? How much do you even remember about it just a few days later in terms of details?

I still remember Sanchez VS Guida like it was yesterday. And also most of Henderson VS Petis 1

I skipped through it to be honest, looked like 2 average fighters hitting each other, and the slightly better fighter choking in the 3rd round. obviously I can't truly say it wasn't a great fight if I didn't watch it all, but that guy who said it was like Griffin Bonnar 1? hilarious :D ....it barely registered on the world stage and rightfully so

Last edited:
It was a good, action packed fight. Lots of people here making snide comments but Raquel showed much better ring smarts than a lot of guys.

For one, she knows how to circle out (!!) and knows better than to go apeshit, blow her wad when she has the opponent hurt. In this fight at least, she was cool and methodical. She's not a world class kickboxer, has noobish instincts in the clinch but overall, her kickboxing technique is good; she's loose, throws nice counters, mixes in the kicks when needed, attacks the body. Seems basic but many men at UFC level don't know how to do this!

A great fight, one of the best WMMA fights ever. I like this fight more than Zingano vs Tate (this fight was really overrated), and both fighters are best strikers than Rousey or Tate.

By the way, I have seen older Pennington fights, and I think she has improved a lot since her previous bout before TUF.

a large percentage of male pro fighters? I doubt that. even guys like Chael Sonnen and Bisping and definitely hurt people with strikes and they're considered very weak strikers.

Having sparred with local MMA pros (who do more often than not conform to the stereotype of having inferior hands than boxers*) - I will say yes. I am not saying they don't hit hard but one punch knockouts is very rare especially if the two opponents are close in skill level (regardless of power). The reason Pennington was able to survive as long as she did against Duke was not because Duke hit softly but because she was very good at parrying Duke's punches from the outside (i.e. punches never reached her face). Duke didn't get finished by Pennington because she managed to clinch (and knee) Pennington whenever Pennington attempted to finish. Nevertheless, both admitted in their blogs (especially Duke) they were on the point of becoming unconscious and you can hear nearly every one of Pennington's punches landing.

*simply because they also need to wrestle, learn bjj etc.

I enjoyed the fight, had Jessamyn winning the first round, as I think most people had. One thing that did bug me however was her complete lack of head movement. She really needs to learn how to avoid getting hit in the face all the time.

One thing that did bug me however was her complete lack of head movement. She really needs to learn how to avoid getting hit in the face all the time.
I agree, I think she was too confident in her reach and so didn

I must have watched a totally different fight because the fight I was watching was good or OK, how anyone can mention Bonnar-Griffin in the same sentence is beyond me. This fight will never become history. It was OK to watch, but come on guys, I'm not impressed with neither of them. Jessamyn could have some potential, but what I watched today wasn't that high quality.

Back