Jeet Kune Do

JKD was a reaction against static martial arts that rejected all other martial arts. So, gathering a lot of techniques that are effective is very much the spirit of JKD. So, you would never say "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG" if someone uses MT footwork. The example in question where Bruce corrected the guy's technique was because the guy was using terrible form, not because it was coming from something "outside" of JKD.

I think the idea of JKD was to break from the tradition of martial arts at that time. Being open to use or not use any technique of any style. To break from the confinements of traditional dogmas.

Does anyone think that Matt Thornton is the next step in the evolution of JKD? His emphasis on aliveness is something I believe BL would have eventually said himself.

Check it out:

The sad thing is alot of the OJKDer's come from Dan Inosanto's lineage. They never got the point I guess. Even Ted Wong was certified by Dan. He has never showed proof to disprove this statement either, even though he has been called out about it before.

That said, if you align yourself with one of Paul Vunak's, Erik Paulson's or Ron Balicki's instructors, your good to go. And

JKD has helped me a ton as a fighter, also. I'm 5'10" Grappling/boxing/ low kicks is my thing ala Larry Hartell. So while I will take tactics from lets say savate, I wont necessarily as kick high as a savatuer.

You do realize that Paul, Ron, and Erik all worked with Dan right? Ron is even his son-in-law.

Bruce shouldn't have put -do at the end. That makes it "the way of-", making it a style or a way of getting something done. (the following sentence is a joke)

I sometimes wonder if this is a bit of word play on Bruce's part. The -do of Jeet Kune Do is the same as the word tao, and of course most of the philosophical elements of JKD are taoist in nature. You shouldn't look at a "tao" like a straight road, or like instructions on how to do something. It is more like showing you the natural way that is in harmony with the universe.

So a more concrete example is if you are cutting up a chicken leg, you don't hack through the bone right? You slice through the joint. Since you are in harmony with the tao, it is effortless.

The same thing applies to fighting. If your opponent's forward momentum has him off balance, then you can throw him. If you has left his hands down, then you can punch him to the face. Take the opportunities that are there instead of trying to impose your "style" on the fight.

Source please

so im guessing you never read his book

Wasn't it Bruce who also said that to beat a master of TMA who's been studying for 10 years, all one would have to do is train hard in wrestling and boxing for 6 months?

Sounds like his philosophy was essentially MMA training.

ahahh alot of people seem to ignore that quote from bruce. too butt hurt to think its true

its funny because guro inosanto does do this. he still teaches much of the curriculum that bruce taught, its just that he added other arts as well. however, there is a clear distinction and he states it in class and its built into his school. that's why he has a jkd class, a kali/escrima class, bjj, thai boxing, etc... all separate. the big thing with inosanto is that he also encourages you to take all that material you learn and blend them aka use what works for you from those arts.

you keep saying he did a 180 from what bruce taught, but you obviously don't know what you are talking about or have no first hand experience. he does teach this, its just that he also teaches a lot more too.

word. inosanto is a pimp.

You do realize that Paul, Ron, and Erik all worked with Dan right? Ron is even his son-in-law.

misunderstood what I said. I meant they (Paul, Ron, and Erik as well as many other. Yori Nakamura, and Burton Richardson are also exceptional) are the people worth learning "jkd" from. I, in fact, am from Paul's line.
Jerry Poteet, The Wednesday Night Group, and Ted Wong are the OJKDers i was referring too.

BTW, does anyone know of any of Ted Lucaylucay's students that teach? I heard he was a really good guy. I'm super interested in the personal expression of the old Filipino Kali students, they were all incredibly skilled ( even Poteet)

word. inosanto is a pimp.

Damn straight! You don't become a Machado BB in 4 years at ?70?, have it wrapped around you while rolling, and be an instructor in pretty much everything and not pimp EVERYBODY. The dude devotes 2000 hrs a year to BJJ alone! Makes ya wonder why Bruce liked him so much!

I really pity the punk ass 20 year old that decides to mug that "old" man, though I really hope it gets taped!

I sometimes wonder if this is a bit of word play on Bruce's part. The -do of Jeet Kune Do is the same as the word tao, and of course most of the philosophical elements of JKD are taoist in nature. You shouldn't look at a "tao" like a straight road, or like instructions on how to do something. It is more like showing you the natural way that is in harmony with the universe.

So a more concrete example is if you are cutting up a chicken leg, you don't hack through the bone right? You slice through the joint. Since you are in harmony with the tao, it is effortless.

The same thing applies to fighting. If your opponent's forward momentum has him off balance, then you can throw him. If you has left his hands down, then you can punch him to the face. Take the opportunities that are there instead of trying to impose your "style" on the fight.

That would require cross training, wouldn't you agree? That is a shockingly high level of understanding though, impressive.

Back