Jeet Kune Do

Lionidas

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone else fascinated with this art?

I know this is an old topic but I simply wanted to put a thread where people can come and discuss the pros and cons of Bruce Lee's art.

Let me start by saying that I'm training in Muay Thai, boxing and BJJ but I still find myself searching Youtube for videos of Bruce Lee doing his thing. The man was a pioneer in MMA and definitely was ahead of his time. Videos of him displaying JKD still intrigue me to this day.

This thread doesn't really have a point, I'm bored at work. Just wanted to discuss Bruce Lee and his Jeet Kune Do with others.

my two cents:

JKD is a style. I know Bruce tried not to create a style, but he inadvertently did
Its great for street fighting, and not really ring fighting
We have people today who are claiming JKD (Dan Inosanto) who are doing everything oposite that Bruce taught.
Bruce would be rolling in his grave if he saw the state of JKD today.

Now get back to work

JKD is more of a combat philosophy than a style.

Inosanto needs to make some $$$, and, lacking the natural charisma, etc. of Mr. Lee, needed it to be encapsulated into a "style."

my two cents:

JKD is a style. I know Bruce tried not to create a style, but he inadvertently did
We have people today who are claiming JKD (Dan Inosanto) who are doing everything oposite that Bruce taught.

Now get back to work

So true.
The watered down version today makes me sad.

A couple years ago, I found an instructor near my house. So I went to the 1st free class and was gravely dissapointed :icon_cry2

It was basically a glorified McDojo with pictures of Bruce Lee on the wall. Everyone could wear whatever they wanted but had to wear their colored belt's over their street clothes. There was no pad work, no sparring among the advanced students.....just punching a candle until the flame went out. /sigh

So true.
The watered down version today makes me sad.

A couple years ago, I found an instructor near my house. So I went to the 1st free class and was gravely dissapointed :icon_cry2

It was basically a glorified McDojo with pictures of Bruce Lee on the wall. Everyone could wear whatever they wanted but had to wear their colored belt's over their street clothes. There was no pad work, no sparring among the advanced students.....just punching a candle until the flame went out. /sigh
Lmfao

By giving his formlessness "style" a name, was Bruce's biggest mistake. People inadvertently associate it with a typical stance, punches, kicks etc. A more fitting name would probably be "MMA".

Being "formless" has its flaws though. If you dedicate your life into martial arts you will probably seen,experienced,practiced enough to be truly called formless or well-rounded. But let's say you're willing to dedicate only 10 years of your life into MA, you do 5 different arts for 2 years each and in the end you'll face someone who did "only" Muay Thai and BJJ during these 10 years.

I bet the odds are against ya. An old saying fitting to this example: Jack of all trades, master of none.

Wasn't it Bruce who also said that to beat a master of TMA who's been studying for 10 years, all one would have to do is train hard in wrestling and boxing for 6 months?

Sounds like his philosophy was essentially MMA training.

JKD is more of a combat philosophy than a style.

"

this. most people mistaken JKD to be a style of fighting. its a philosophy that you should use whatever works, and what works will be different for different people.

Wasn't it Bruce who also said that to beat a master of TMA who's been studying for 10 years, all one would have to do is train hard in wrestling and boxing for 6 months?

Sounds like his philosophy was essentially MMA training.

Source please

my two cents:

Now get back to work

uhh what? i think bruce lee would be proud of the direction that inosanto went with what he was taught by bruce.

my two cents:

Now get back to work

I would agree with this, Bruce Lee pioneered a style of martial arts that isn't actually a style. Like someone else said it's a phylosophy. The JKD you can learn today mostly is not actualy what Bruce Lee passed down. I would say MMA is cloder to JKD then actual so called "JKD" with the exception that in MMA you focus on one oponent in a controlled enviroment. But where it is closer is "Take out what you need and leave what dosen't work"

I train with Ray Longo and we learn all the mma styles all under jkd philosophy. We have one class were he teaches us all this crazy dirty illegal shit, its so awesome. JKD changed my life and I wouldnt be an mma fighter if I didnt get into it's concepts.

The next time someone says JKD sucks remind them theres a jkd teacher whos pumped out 3 ufc fighters- Ray fucking Longo.

I train with Ray Longo and we learn all the mma styles all under jkd philosophy. We have one class were he teaches us all this crazy dirty illegal shit, its so awesome. JKD changed my life and I wouldnt be an mma fighter if I didnt get into it's concepts.

The next time someone says JKD sucks remind them theres a jkd teacher whos pumped out 3 ufc fighters- Ray fucking Longo.

Why so serious?

On to my real question, which 3 fighters has he pumped out?
Just curious and very interested.

my two cents:

Now get back to work

how do you know what "bruce taught"?

Bruce obviously didn't teach a "style" in the traditional sense, but it's a cop-out to suggest that absolutely anything can be JKD because JKD was supposed to be "what works - for you".

There were certain principles involved, e.g. the emphasis on interceptions (Jeet Kune Do = "Way of the Intercepting Fist") and economy of motion. The most important, of course, was the stance: the you should always lead with your "power side" forward. Bruce built everything else around that idea.

This is a pretty good overview of it:

TIGA Martial Arts Academy London - JKD / Jeet Kune Do, Silat & Kali Escrima Arnis

Last edited:
People have an obsession with estoteric styles, whether it be JKD, Sanda, Kudo, etc. The prevailing belief is that "These styles are rare, so they must have super-rare techniques that will crush the MT/boxing establishment!"

The reality is simple. Bruce Lee once upon a time had a notebook of his thoughts on martial arts. It was far from complete, as he didn't have the magnificent resources of Youtube or UFC on Demand at his disposal way back then. When he died, the notebook was put in trade paperback and sold worldwide, and people interpreted it as this sort of "ultimate" style when it was nothing of the sort.

Don't believe me? Look at Tony Valente's K-1 fights.

I've trained in two sides of the same coin when it comes to JKD and it's very interesting.

I've trained with the "original" Jun Fan guys from Poteet. While there are some good thoughts, I did not like it too much. Way to focused on Wing Chun and felt kinda static.

Then I've trained with the "concept" guys from Inosanto, Hartsell, Balicki, and Vunak. This was truly awesome stuff. With this, I got to train in concepts of Boxing, Muay Thai, Kali, Wing Chun, BJJ, Shooto, and Vunak's RAT system. With the concept guys, you train to be a complete martial artist.

Too bad there's no legit JKD guys around me anymore.

Back