JDS training at American Top Team for his next fight; working on his wrestling

Was just about to write the same thing.

Dos Santos on his worst day beats Overeem. Diet Reem is a different fighter anyhow, and JDS is arguably his worst matchup.

Oh good, it's written in the stars for you guys. I was under the impression that it's a heavyweight fight and one punch can change everything.

I've seen him do it so little in the last couple of years that I'm beggining to think HE doesn't know that anymore.

Must have missed the fight against Frank Mir (decent submission guy)

Too little too late. That 45 min to an hour he spent with Cain punching him in the face ruined him.

I don't understand all the people that say this. He lost the first time then came back and knocked out Mark Hunt in a good performance. Then lost to Cain again and had a tough win against top 5 Stipe Miocic. Yes he didn't look his best against Stipe, but that may have been due to other circumstances and not because of the previous beating he suffered against Cain. Let's at least wait until he loses before calling him a shot fighter, even the performance where he didn't look amazing he still won against a top contender

wont hurt, but the solution so someone who applies pressure and smother takedowns like cain is to fire knees and elbows in close. Kinda like the champ did. actually JDS matches very well with werdum without doing anything

Oh good, it's written in the stars for you guys. I was under the impression that it's a heavyweight fight and one punch can change everything.

Must have missed the fight against Frank Mir (decent submission guy)

Completely forgot that. He was great at GnPouding Mir, but didn't go for any submissions and was playing extra-safe on that bout. (I know, it's Mir, but still, he could've tried to finish somehow).

Anyways, I really like Alistair and hope this fights happens.

I don't understand all the people that say this. He lost the first time then came back and knocked out Mark Hunt in a good performance. Then lost to Cain again and had a tough win against top 5 Stipe Miocic. Yes he didn't look his best against Stipe, but that may have been due to other circumstances and not because of the previous beating he suffered against Cain. Let's at least wait until he loses before calling him a shot fighter, even the performance where he didn't look amazing he still won against a top contender

I don't think he won that Miocic fight, to me it looked like his wrestling had improved but his punches were slower and his defense more vulnerable, like he lost part of his reflexes

Interesting. He's still been battered half to death though. Didn't enjoy seeing him compete last time out. Uncomfortable feeling.

Good, a trip to a top camp is exactly what he needs to get his wrestling up to code, guys like Barao and AS should have done this years ago

Very good!!! He's the best striker in the division and can sharpen his game at Att, but more so the wrestling/grappling and physical parts of his game.

Terrible imo, work on your defense
He's training wrestling to deal with Overeem ?

Yeah why focus on an area what you wont be using your next fight? Makes no sense. He wont be able to take Reem down either. So kinda wasted training hours right there!

I don't think he won that Miocic fight, to me it looked like his wrestling had improved but his punches were slower and his defense more vulnerable, like he lost part of his reflexes

He clearly won the Miocic fight, it was close but it was a clear win with JDS winning the last 3 rounds. People have very selective memory about this fight and seem to recall Miocic landing shots during the whole fight, which is not accurate because from round 3 to mid way round 5 he barely did anything.

2 judges gave it to JDS 49/46 and one 48/47. I thought after watching the fight again i could go either way, Miocic won round 2, round 1 was close but JDS no question won the last 3 rounds. He only looked more vulnerable cause he was facing a very good fighter in Miocic with very good boxing. But bottom line is that JDS still had a solid margin of 40+ strikes he landed.

People worry about JDS in this fight??? take a look at the other guy

Terrible imo, work on your defense
He's training wrestling to deal with Overeem ?

Makes sense to me, Overeem is better than JDS at everything other than boxing and taking damage. I don't expect Overeem to just fight him in a kickboxing match in MMA, he's going to use all of his tools and I think JDS is being smart in focusing on his wrestling cause he doesn't want to go to the ground with Overeem, he should also work on his clinch game too or avoiding that position.

he's thinking past overeem.

I don't think he is, I think he realizes that Overeem is far more well rounded and JDS needs to improve his wrestling and clinch game as Overeem will use those advantages over JDS when they fight.

Beats his current strategy of blocking punches with his face.

People saying that the Cain fight took a lot out of JDS and he's not the same etc are wrong. If anything it made him take a step back and revise his training which is what he is doing.

Like you said, after the Cain fights he fought two solid HW's in which he dominated and KO'd one and beat the other by decision. People have to take a more closer look at the Miocic fight and see the improvements JDS made since the Cain fight. Miocic tried to use the same strategy as Cain did with volume takedowns and pressure striking. It didnt work with the wrestling, he had success striking till JDS adjusted and won he last 3 rounds by not allowing Miocic to pressure him.

Was just about to write the same thing.

Dos Santos on his worst day beats Overeem. Diet Reem is a different fighter anyhow, and JDS is arguably his worst matchup.

Either guy could be a horrible match up for the other IMO, it comes down to how much better is Overeem in the clinch and on the ground than JDS and can he get it to those positions and keep it there.

JDS has 2 real advantages in this fight, he has better hands and he has much better durability. Overeem has the advantage at kicking range, in the clinch, on the ground and while JDS is very tough Overeem has something like a 90% finishing rate and can do it with either strikes or submissions.

Fucking FINALLY!

As a JDS nuthugger I've been begging him to go to a top US MMA camp for YEARS. ATT is as good a choice as any.

Back