International Japan Opens Up - Foreign workers are on the way

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Foreign workers are on the way, but are Japanese businesses ready?
by Masumi Koizumi, Kazuaki Nagata and Satoshi Sugiyama

n-industries-a-20190401-870x741.jpg
A new visa program designed to lure more workers to Japan takes effect Monday, and government officials and industry leaders hope two new types will help alleviate the national labor shortage.

But whether businesses are prepared to accept them is an entirely different matter.

Companies and organizations interviewed by The Japan Times said they remain in the dark about many details of the new system and are still unsure whether they have the capacity to provide adequate support for employees who will be starting a whole new life in Japan.

Under the new system, up to around 340,000 blue-collar workers are expected to come to Japan to work in 14 sectors over the next five years.

The nursing care sector is slated to accept as many as 60,000 — more than any other sector.

The industry is crucial for the rapidly graying population and companies are hopeful the new system will help them out, said Go Tsurumura, an official from the secretariat of the Japan Federation of Kaigo Business Providers, an industry group.

And yet Tsurumura’s hopes are tempered by a sense that, with the exception of some businesses with prior experience handling foreign workers, the nursing care industry overall “hasn’t yet developed a basic system for supporting foreign caregivers” on the new visas.

An official at a Tokyo-based nursing-care provider who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity said his firm is looking to accept foreign workers through the new system but has no experience of this kind. So, whether it can provide enough support is a major concern, he said.......
It's been a long time coming for Japan but they seem to have realized that they need to open up their doors. Their birth rates are abysmal and completely unsustainable at this point. This is a step in the right direction imo.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t have to be that way if Japanese started acting like human beings and screw each other.

Good, let's hope they get the much needed diversity that they need.

Wouldn’t have to be that way if Japanese started acting like human beings and screw each other.

I think they would take drastic action if these migrants weren't let in. Using immigration as a band aid will make the problem worse.

In all seriousness, hopefully they get the 'right' workers. Somalians, Afghanistan, Congo etc.

There is a lot of North Africans looking for work right now coming to Europe. In Japan there is unlimited potential for these people to get into Japan's extensive robotics programs for example.

It doesn't sound like that is the idea. Sounds more like they are workers on Visa's, rather than immigrants settling in Japan for good.

And I don't expect a rollout of 'diversity sensitivity training' programs across Japan any time soon.. hah. But hey ya never know

It doesn't sound like that is the idea. Sounds more like they are workers on Visa's, rather than immigrants settling in Japan for good.

And I don't expect a rollout of 'diversity sensitivity training' programs across Japan any time soon.. hah. But hey ya never know

We'll have to wait and see. It would be a major step for Japan to open its arms to the third world. While tricky, it is important they start to adopt some of the 'right opinions' that the west has.

Their birth rates are abysmal and completely unsustainable at this point.
I thought these were workers and not breeders for replacement migration?

We'll have to wait and see. It would be a major step for Japan to open its arms to the third world. While tricky, it is important they start to adopt some of the 'right opinions' that the west has.
Compatibility should be a priority and not a smokescreen for handout thieves welfare queens. If they're not listing the countries then there is a problem.

I thought these were workers and not breeders for replacement migration?

Yea but it effects their economy because there is no one to replace the workforce.

I agree with others that it's not a permanent solution for that very reason. They need to figure out a way to get the population to start having more sex.

But at this point they ANYTHING is necessitated.

North African Muslims?

Japan can import Filipinos, Thais, Vietnamese, etc.
I think they're pragmatic enough not to diversify with the least capable yet most violent and dysfunctional demos from Africa and the ME.

In all seriousness, hopefully they get the 'right' workers. Somalians, Afghanistan, Congo etc.

There is a lot of North Africans looking for work right now coming to Europe. In Japan there is unlimited potential for these people to get into Japan's extensive robotics programs for example.
{<jordan}

#learntocode

I don't see the Japanese as being dumb enough to bring in people from cultures that are loathe to assimilate, assuming the Japanese even allow the migrant workers to settle down.

Back