James Vick moving up to WW for his next fight

He has the same problem as Rockhold, moving up cam improve your chin but it can't fix shit defence. It might not be as big of an issue in a more wrestling focused division, but that entirely depends on who they match him up with.
But anyway, fuck James Vick.

Just what the doctor ordered. this guy should be called left hook larry.

he is not gonna enjoy the extra power at WW, even if the lesser cut helps his chin.

FaroffGoodEuropeanpolecat.gif

PastelVapidIsabellinewheatear-size_restricted.gif

IdenticalTenderAnemoneshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Damn Vick even threw shade on TS for his lack of nutritional expertise. hahaha

moving up won't solve his problem tbh but whatever. he may feel more comfortable.

Don't think the cut was why he's been getting KO'ed all of a lately, he's just facing better guys who can exploit his lack of head movement and hand position.

Now he's just going to be getting dusted by even bigger power punchers.

About time, he was severely underweight and grossly malnourished, he just looked chinny from his face structure alone. Even WW is a small step, he could go to MW.

Yeah looked like he came out of a concentration camp for the fight against Hooker. Good for him.

He needs to learn how to use his reach like Jones.

Not a good idea IMO.

Quite frankly his striking defense is just terrible.
Moving up to a weight class where he will get hit by even more powerful guys with that striking defense + chin combination sounds like a bad idea...

EDIT: guy above me posted the exact same thing at the same time using other words... guess im not alone lol
To be fair, his chin problems at LW are likely highly amplified when he sucks all the water out of his brain to make weight. More than anything Vick needs to learn some damn head movent, he still is always stationary with his head it seems. But lessening the severity of losing water out of his organs to make weight could be a very good thing for him. It's not like he'll be "small" at WW. I think he should take 6-8 months before his next fight to try and heal up, and fill out a bit for WW but the dude is 6'3". He's still going to be amongst the tallest in the division.

Great post and I hope this guy proves us all wrong and keeps being himself and starts winning again consistently. He's still gonna be pretty tall and long even for 170. They really need the 165lb division. Its more apparent than ever these days. They can even call it light welterweight if they want. 155, 165, 175 (welterweight?), 185 (middleweight), 195 (franklinweight), 205 (light heavyweight), etc.

To be fair, his chin problems at LW are likely highly amplified when he sucks all the water out of his brain to make weight.
Maybe... i dont know. And as a matter of fact nobody knows.

This whole narrative of weight cutting increasing odds of getting knocked out is used out there by media members and sherbros, for the most part, as complete bro science. Im not saying there is no truth to it, but the way people throw this around like its a quantifiable thing beyond any reasonable doubt is what i have a problem with.

Show me ONE study where there is a comparison proving weight cutting plays a bigger part in someone getting KOed than actually being hit with a more powerful, stronger shot.

There wont be.

Now... i agree with a few other things you said there like him improving and taking time off, but i just hate this narrative being thrown around like we can easily quantify and attribute blame to being more prone to knockouts like its a given.

Maybe... i dont know. And as a matter of fact nobody knows.

This whole narrative of weight cutting increasing odds of getting knocked out is for the most part complete bro science. Im not saying there is no truth to it, but the way people throw this around like its a quantifiable thing beyond any reasonable doubt is what i have a problem with.

Show me ONE study where there is a comparison showing weight cutting plays a bigger part in someone getting KOed than actually being hit with a more powerful, stronger shot.

There wont be.

Now... i agree with a few other things you said there like him improving and taking time off, but i just hate this narrative being thrown around like we can easily quantify and attribute blame to being more prone to knockouts like its a given.
Agree to disagree I guess. I just don't see a reason not to consider it considering every brain function suffers greatly while dehydrated. Why would ability to sustain concussive force be any different? We've seen a collection of guys lately who were cutting huge weight decide to cut less and perform better across the board. I'm not talking about guys who moved up to be a small guy in the division, but like Rumble at WW type shit where you look like an alien making weight. Obviously it's a person by person basis, where some guys handle a huge cut better, or handle going up in weight better. So it may not work for vick here either cause yeah the guy is like watching a coat rack in an earthquake trying to dodge punches. But man does he look just plain not healthy when he weight in at 6'3" 155 lbs =/

Ok Homer Simpson of mma. You wrote your own career death warrant when you said that shit to THE SHIT Justin Gaethje. Get your 6 foot 3 scrawny ass knocked out again please. Hope James Junior learns humility, but not from you.

If he was struggling with the weight cut then it’s for the best he went up. Even if he just finds the caloric depletion required to remain at a weight where he can cut to 155 too much he should move up.

If it’s not for any of those reasons he should stay, as obviously the higher the weight class the larger/more dangerous the opponents.

Should have moved up 3 fights ago. Now he’s chin may be shot. He better leave Irvin too

Back