James Smith - Latest Elite Fitness Systems member

ENTROPY

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Upon reading though Dave Tate's site earlier today, I came across an article/interview announcing that James Smith was the latest Elite Fitness Systems member.

I've noticed that he backed off from Sherdog, but congrats to him anyway!!!

There aren't many guy's on the training forums that I don't feel comfortable verbally thrashing; however when it came to James, I had to choose my posts more selectively.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/james_smith.htm

Yeah, also noticed that some days ago.

I quote:

------------------------------------------------------------
Jason: You and I have discussed this several times in the past and are in full agreement on the subject. Could you give our readers your description of the perfect training environment and how things should be run?

James: As far as a gym/training hall goes; picture the following: A dark warehouse with aluminum walls and a concrete floor covered with black rubber mats. Power racks and wall boards line the walls. Glute ham raises, reverse hyper's, squat stands, and a few other contraptions. Everything is black. Ropes hang from the ceiling. Barbells, dumbbells, bands, chains, and chalk everywhere. A throwers ring in one corner in which the disc, hammer and weight can be thrown into a net and the indoor shot can be thrown. A monstrous stereo system/PA system so we can jam and I can announce over the PA when an athlete is going for a PR. This way we can get the whole gym in a frenzy. (I already do this with my guys except I don't have a PA system) A mondo surface in one end to accommodate warm up, agility, and acceleration work/short sprints. Yes, this is Valhalla and I will make it so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, evil hardcore.

James was real hardcore on the WSB, his info was good most of the time, just a little over the top, though.

On another note, what'd the Coach do to get teh ban?

Re-reading my posts, they do come across as a bit harsh.

I think James is a bright guy, I just despise the fact that WSB has become like a religion to some people, and I dislike anybody who claims that THEIR training system is the BEST training system. It's especially funny (although I doubt this is the case with Mr. Smith) when the Crusaders for Westside don't realize their methods were derrived from Eastern Block Weightlifting methods. I also took his issue with using this board as a platform to sell himself or his "products".

Basicly, in short he occasionally made valuable contributions, but was liked to act like a self-important know it all.....wait.....this is starting to sound strangely familiar.....WELL HEY AT LEAST I DON'T CHARGE FOR MY ADVICE U FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarnalSalvation said:
Re-reading my posts, they do come across as a bit harsh.

I think James is a bright guy, I just despise the fact that WSB has become like a religion to some people, and I dislike anybody who claims that THEIR training system is the BEST training system. It's especially funny (although I doubt this is the case with Mr. Smith) when the Crusaders for Westside don't realize their methods were derrived from Eastern Block Weightlifting methods. I also took his issue with using this board as a platform to sell himself or his "products".

Basicly, in short he occasionally made valuable contributions, but was liked to act like a self-important know it all.....wait.....this is starting to sound strangely familiar.....WELL HEY AT LEAST I DON'T CHARGE FOR MY ADVICE U FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i personally dont think he was that bad. he contributed a lot, unlike coachd. he only mentioned selling his services once, and thats when everyone got pissy at him. i never understood why that happened, when everyone tolerated coachds crap. james does seem a bit uppity at times, and sometimes his views seem limited in scope with his obsession with russian texts, but the bottom line is he, along with jarfi, is the smartest guy to cross this board. sadly this board has relatively few advanced discussions, which is a serious lagging point. for those of you who werent around when he was, you can check out his site at www.powerdevelopmentinc.com. he has his own forum which has a lot of great info. he also sometimes posts on www.charliefrancis.com, which is also a great website for advanced discussions.

Cracker Odawg it doesn't make you any less of a terrible poster

I think James did provide good information, but I'll agree with whoever said he was too technical in his language... overly technical even, when he would have been better off speaking more plainly to get across the same information, in a way everybody could understand more easily

Now as I see it, there are two types people who speak in technical language and jargon that makes them terribly difficult to understand for most people.

A. People who are so well versed in their topic, that the way they speak/type (jargon and all) is simply so ingrained they don't give it a second thought. Those of you are in, or have been in colleges/universities have probably had at least one professor fit into this category.

B. People who feel it highly important to somehow elevate themselves above others. In this particular case, somebody might choose to use constantly overtechnical language to make themselves appear more intelligent, capable, and knowledgeable than they really are. Those of yo uare in, or have been in colleges/universities have probably had countless professors like this.

CarnalSalvation said:
Now as I see it, there are two types people who speak in technical language and jargon that makes them terribly difficult to understand for most people.

A. People who are so well versed in their topic, that the way they speak/type (jargon and all) is simply so ingrained they don't give it a second thought. Those of you are in, or have been in colleges/universities have probably had at least one professor fit into this category.

B. People who feel it highly important to somehow elevate themselves above others. In this particular case, somebody might choose to use constantly overtechnical language to make themselves appear more intelligent, capable, and knowledgeable than they really are. Those of yo uare in, or have been in colleges/universities have probably had countless professors like this.

And I agree with that, but I don't think I can make the judgement call on James to say he is definitely in one or the other.

I realized that I couldn't make the judgement 100% either, which is why I made that post. It's possible that with all his education, and spending most of his time talking shop with other knowledgeable folks, that he simply doesn't realize he's doing it. Same thing would happen to any of the members on this board most likely if they walked into a normal public gym and started talking about SLDL's, RDL's, 3 boards, etc. Shit that seems elementary to most of us is latin to most people.

Based on the fact that I got a definately pedantic vibe from Jimmy though, I'm betting it's mostly the latter of the two types I listed earlier.

I work far too many hours to justify spending my time on Sherdog. As such, I have two primary statements to make.

1 * I've also been accused of being far too technical on many occasions.

2 * I can also be perceived as being somewhat of a WSB onlyist.

With regard to Westside onlyism, I have this to say; I couldn

Urban , I appreciate you cleaning up the garbage posts and untruths from this thread.

Entropy I appreciate the words.

CarnalSalavation, I have taken great offense to the way in which you have slandered my good name in this thread. This is especially so because of the many respectful exchanges we shared in the past prior to my leaving this board as well the private email you sent me last year.

I do not know or care what has inspired you to attack me in this way; however, know that your misguided attacks serve only your diluted masters.

Perhaps our paths will cross in the future and we may resolve this in person. This goes for anyone else who has so cowardly backstabbed me from behind your keyboard from behind your fictitious screen names.

For those who have somehow taken offense to the way in which I articulate myself I welcome you to call me on the phone or attend a Dark Side conference held by Dave Tate and decide for yourself in person if you feel I am putting on some sort of self gratifying performance.

My every interaction with other individuals via electronic media is inspired by my interests in raising training awareness as well as my own.On no other site or any of my other countless interactions with thousands of people in the community have I witness such absurd exchanges.

Thus, deductive reasoning implies that there is an anomoly unique to this board and you members who Entropy has so accurately described as having inferiority complexes.

As a man who carried honor long before he served in the military I would appreciate apologies from those of you who so eagerly slandered my name in the eyes of all who have viewed this thread.

A reality check for those of you lost in the computer world: The content of what is discussed on these boards is not confined to these electronic borders. Word gets out. And garbage such as that which has been spoken here can potentially do professional damage to an individual.

In the world of the self aware, such behavior is inexcusable.

Stand up men would apologize for such unwarranted insults. Are there any here?

My phone number is on the contact page of my site if anyone would care to discuss this privately.

I like you James. They don't like me here either. Don't let them get to you. Share you knowledge, people can accept it or not.

Its strange reading through some of these posts i always had the impression James was very respected here when he posted.

mmacoach said:
I like you James. They don't like me here either. Don't let them get to you. Share you knowledge, people can accept it or not.

If you are Coach D then it was never your information people didnt like(i always found the info you posted well worth reading) it was your "My dads bigger than your dad!" attitude to debating that got on peoples nerves.

You want an apology from some of us because we disagree about the way you present yourself on here. You have got to be kidding me. Who in the hell do you think you are?

James you are a bright man. You know an aweful lot about strength training and conditioning. I'm not disregarding that. But I disagree with the way you talk on here. It comes off as "The only way to lift is the way that I am telling you. You are stupid in comparison to the knowledge that I have. My shit doesn't stink." I'm telling you this because I really don't think you get it. You come off as Mr. High and Mighty.

Also, don't bring the military into this discussion because it has no bearing here at all. Yeah, it's great you were in the military, but it has no business being here. Are you looking for sympathy for being in the military? You sure won't get it from me.

As for an apology from me to you forget it. This is a strength training forum where people come to ask questions and learn about different methods of lifting. People have different ways of looking at things, and this is a good place to write their ideas. If you don't agree with them, make your points, and then move on. Don't make your background speak for you. Yeah, I'm sure your system of training works, but mine also has advantages, so open your eyes.

You are far from the top of the list when I think about people in the strength training game. Although I'm sure you think you are on top, you are surely mistaken. Keep reading up on things, but I'm sure you won't since you know everything anyway.

Oh by the way. If you want to contact me, here's the info. My name is Tom Owen, and the company that I work for is Fitness By Design in Carmel, Indiana. Here's the website. http://www.fitnessbydesign.net. Look me up, and see what I believe in. I've got nothing to hide.

One more step on Your road James. Happy for you. Good luck, mate.

James, I never made my feelings regarding your pedantism a secret, nor my dislike for your constantly selling yourself exactly private.

Like I said, you occasionally made great contibutions to the board.

As for your service in the military, that takes some gonads for sure, but doesn't garner you any respect. I've met servicemen who were worse than scum.

James, you remind me of some guys from another board I go to only less extreme. I split my time between plotting ways to kill those guys and hanging out with them in real life. Ha.

P.S. my inferority complex is only sparked by meeting people larger and stronger than me in person.

Tom, I appreciate you using your real name.

You, Carnal (though I don't know when he turned on me), Ranger whatever who by the way came to my site and was completely respectful and complimentary and then somehow became bipolar on sherdog, all have some unique ability to take offense to my every statement.

What does it tell you when you are in the extreme minority among thousands of other open minded and intelligent individuals. Am I, and and everyone else to believe that somehow we are all diluted and that three or four individuals are the only ones who will voice their true feelings or that you are the only ones who have a clear vision of things. Wake up.

Between my site, elitefts, charlie francis, and here, I have engaged in thousands of discussion and written several publications which have been read by thousands and thousands of viewers.

How is it possible that three guys are inspired to make such insults and attacks? Do you think that Dave Tate and Jim Wendler would ask me to be a staff member on EFS if I was the guy you paint me out to be? Would Charlie Francis invite me to his house if I was that guy? would Jay Schroeder invite me to his place of business if I were that guy? Would Martin Rooney contribute to my site and would we talk on the phone if I were that guy? Would Tom Myslinski and Buddy Morris talk to me on the phone at great length a few times a month if I were that guy? Would Jim Wendler and I laugh on the phone about how fucked the industry is if I were that guy? Would the disrict school board consider having me completely rewrite the PE curriculum if I were this guy? Would parents send their kids to train with me I were this guy? Would Joe Defranco and I talk on the phone for hours if I was this guy? Would Joe Kenn and I talk on the phone if I was that guy? Would Val Nasedkin, the former fucking head coach of the Ukranian Junior National Track and Field Team invite me to his house if I were that guy?

Shit Tom, what world do you live in. If I were supported by shit bags you might have ground to stand on, but I'm not. I am fortunate enough to have made great relationships with individuals in the community who are at the absolute top (as far as I'm concerned) and I learn from them all.

My statement regarding my background was made in an effort to make clear who I am and what type of bullshit I in no way will tolerate if only on the damn computer screen. The fact that you use and bring the word sympathy indicates issues on your end.

As a professional in the industry you certainly display none on the computer.

The fact that you and others somehow think that I perceive my self as superior is absolutely misguided. If you read anything and truly assimilated anything that I have ever written you would realize that I push nothing on anyone. It just so happens that I am greatly influenced by Russian methodics and make great efforts to raise the awareness of individuals in the community.

I am absolutely confused as to why you feel that I think that I know everything and that I do not research new methodics constantly.

Tom, whether you choose to accept it or not, I mean in no way to offend or condescend upon anyone. I speak the way I speak and I write the way I write and I know what I know and I don't know what I don't know.

And believe it or not Tom, what I don't know far far exceeds that which I do.

I simply make the effort to reduce the margin.

You have completely misplaced my intentions and you have completely mistaken me for who I am. Accordingly, there is nothing out of order in expecting apologies for misguided attacks.

When I'm wrong I man up and say I'm wrong. Thus, I expect this from anyone who I interact with. Anyone who knows me knows this. This is the problem with computers.

If I didn't care about making a positive impact on the community I wouldn't spend the time creating this type of response.

I will be the man here and call you. So be it.

Back