Jake Shields Not So Classy In Loss

My favorite part was the one where you only quote half the post.
It wasn't what I was responding to so why leave it in the quote?

But yeah, you got me. I didn't proof read. I'll say ten "Hail Shogun"s and one "Hendo, Our Father"s to repent.

You owe like 40, not ten.

No. He did not release it right after the ref touched him. The gif is sped up. Count how many times the ref taps him before he releases the sub.

Came to say this. Watched it live and that piece of shit held on to it longer than what the gif depicted.

Paul's balls were all over Jake's mouth. Of course he's gonna flip out.

People are upset about the Eye Gouging more than anything

I really do imagine the world some of you live in and the type of mindfuckery that takes place on a daily basis.

I really wonder if you guys realize what sport you are watching?

Its not tennis...
not amateur wrestling...
not water polo..
not boxing...
its not even jujitsu...

Its mixed MARTIAL ARTS

Might wanna wiki it.

Whats even funnier is I bet guys like you were probably cheering Hendo when he dive bombed Bisping and cheer that shirt he wears around and probably laughed when Rampage hit an unconscious Wanderlei but for some reason get all into hissy fits when Paul Harris hold onto a sub half a second after the ref touches him.

And lets be clear, in an MMA fight YOU DONT LET GO WHEN YOUR OPPONENT TAPS YOU LET GO WHEN THE REF SIGNALS FOR YOU TO LET GO in case you dont understand that.

And for all the nationalists who simply hate on Paul because he is a Brazilian beating Murkans I drink your tears.

No. He did not release it right after the ref touched him. The gif is sped up. Count how many times the ref taps him before he releases the sub.

Murr broke Nogs humerus right before Nog tapped and the ref never stopped it until afterward and everyone loved Murr for it.

Funny how that happened.

I must confess my total lack of awareness that the kimura shoulder lock was in fact an armbar. Thanks TS, you really broadened my perspective.

Whats even funnier is I bet guys like you were probably cheering Hendo when he dive bombed Bisping and cheer that shirt he wears around and probably laughed when Rampage hit an unconscious Wanderlei but for some reason get all into hissy fits when Paul Harris hold onto a sub half a second after the ref touches him.

I've already seen BJ Penn fans criticise Palhares for holding on too long, I bet they loved it when he tried choking out Pulver after the referee came in.

And lets be clear, in an MMA fight YOU DONT LET GO WHEN YOUR OPPONENT TAPS YOU LET GO WHEN THE REF SIGNALS FOR YOU TO LET GO in case you dont understand that.
You bold the "martial arts" part of MMA as if you have any respect for martial arts.

You clearly don't if you're spouting off ignorant bullshit like that.

Fuck the "rules" (which many fighters break with intentional eye pokes, groin shots, head butts, etc). You let go when the fighter taps. Not before, not after, but exactly when the fighter taps, even while he is still tapping if need be.

The only situation in which waiting for the ref to let go of a LOCKED submission that you are actually FINISHING (not holding, FINISHING)... AFTER THE FIGHTER HAS CONSCIENTIOUSLY CHOSEN TO INDICATE THAT HE IS NO LONGER WILLING TO CONTINUE FIGHTING... is acceptable, is if he taps and then fraudulently disputes it as Matt Lindland once did. But, it's not 2002 anymore. Technology has improved, and these days, you pull up the tap on instant replay, you tell him that he's either lying, stupid, or both, and you rub it in his face until he dick-tucks and admits that he did actually tap. That's all it needs to be. No harm done except to a coward's ego.

If that was you or a member of your family in there risking damage to your shoulder due to Palhares's recklessness, you wouldn't be saying that.
I've already seen BJ Penn fans criticise Palhares for holding on too long, I bet they loved it when he tried choking out Pulver after the referee came in.
Yeah, those people don't speak for everyone. I'm a BJ Penn fan and I don't think holding onto a sub late is cool no matter what. You let go when he taps. To do anything less is dishonorable.

Just don't make excuses for shitty actions, even if your favorite fighter is the one accountable for them, and yes, I'm looking at YOU with the Palhares av and sig when I say that, unless you're part of that camp who insist that Palhares is a really nice guy and everyone is just a overly sensitive pussy trying to put him down, in which case I cannot help you.

Last edited:
What I don't get is, why does the ref do little love taps on palhares to insinuate that the fight is over? He should go Mccarthy style and tackle the fighter off the other.

I still think Palahares was in the wrong though. He felt those taps from the ref and kept holding on. He should be suspended\banned.

You bold the "martial arts" part of MMA as if you have any respect for martial arts.

I respect martial arts but thats not why I bolded it. I bolded it because posters here seem to have this notion that when Jake Shields and Rosuimar Palhares fight in a pro mma match that they are fighting under the same ruleset that novice white belts in jujitsu fight under or amateur wrestlers competing at their local high school do. Which is not the case. They are professional MMA fighters who are literally trying to hurt each other just to put food on the table. So all you guys whining like little girls because one fighter holds a sub for a second after the ref touches him is laughable.

The only situation in which waiting for the ref to let go of a LOCKED submission that you are actually FINISHING (not holding, FINISHING)... AFTER THE FIGHTER HAS CONSCIENTIOUSLY CHOSEN TO INDICATE THAT HE IS NO LONGER WILLING TO CONTINUE FIGHTING... is acceptable, is if he taps and then fraudulently disputes it as Matt Lindland once did. But, it's not 2002 anymore.

You act like Lindland is the only person who has done this.:icon_neut

How about:

CB Dollaway vs Amir Sadollah II
CB Dollaway vs Mike Massenzio
Chael Sonnen vs Paulo Filho I
Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva
Chris Leben vs Jake Rosholt

Not to mention all the times someone has tapped and a ref didnt see it so the fight continued.

So you see, there is a real, practical reason why someone would want to hold the sub until the ref stops it.

Honestly, if I were in Jake Shields' position in the aftermath of this particular fight, it would stretch the limits of my self-restraint to say nothing critical about what went down.

Just don't make excuses for shitty actions, even if your favorite fighter is the one accountable for them, and yes, I'm looking at YOU with the Palhares av and sig when I say that, unless you're part of that camp who insist that Palhares is a really nice guy and everyone is just a overly sensitive pussy trying to put him down, in which case I cannot help you.
I commented on the sub right after it happened and I thought it was pretty blatant but after seeing it a couple of other times I don't think it's bad at al. I also think a lot of people are jumping to take shots at him for a couple of reasons, one of them being UFC-only fans jumping at the opportunity to take a Worldwide favourite down.

Not saying there's rational posters here who aren't fans of what he's doing for a good reason. However there's a huge hypocrisy going around where nobody bats an eye at already KO'd fighters being continuously punched, yet when a sub held literally a second longer, everyone gets their pitchforks out.

He released it right after the ref touched him. People complaining bout this?

But yea, you dont throw punches after the ref stops it cmon guy.

LOL he did not release it "right after", even the GIF clearly shows him holding it a second too long.

However there's a huge hypocrisy going around where nobody bats an eye at already KO'd fighters being continuously punched, yet when a sub held literally a second longer, everyone gets their pitchforks out.

This I will agree with. Everyone jumps up and down when someone gets the lights shut off and a couple of post unnecessary shots when it's just as bad, if not worse than holding a submission too long. Key point to note is that we generally don't see submissions being held after the tap so it's not as up front, I would think if we saw it more often it would become the norm and therefore more acceptable.

This is obviously because of Rousimar's past that he's being put to task. You can disagree (which you will), but the hold was clearly a second too long. For me anyways, it's just you'd think the guy would just "get it". It feels like every fight with him we go through this, he's carrying that baggage and it's up to him to correct that.

I love watching this guy fight, but he's just a basket case. I wouldn't have that big of a problem if he just held it after the guy taps, but he keeps cranking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back