Jake Shields = does he get cut if he loses?

tgray7

Brown Belt
Reaction score
He had a great Strikeforce career, but let's look at what's happened in the UFC for him:

Fights Kampmann. Barely wins a split dec, and in most people's eyes, loses. Verdict: Bad debut
Fights GSP in a title vs title match, pokes Georges in the eyes several times, loses in one of GSP's most boring title fights ever. Verdict: Letdown
Fights Ellenberger. Loses for the first time by KO. Went into fight with the painful loss of father/trainer but didn't back out of fight. Verdict: Tough loss, but showed fortitude.
Fights Akiyama for his job, wins the stand up, fight is largely remembered for Akiyama's awesome judo throws. Verdict: a wins a win.
Fights Ed Herman, thoroughly controls Ed on the ground. Boring fight, but dominant win. Fight overturned to NC to a drug test. Verdict: Well, that hurts.
Fights Woodley. Puts entire crowd to sleep as both men fight timidly in the stand up. Wins a split decision. Verdict: Stock at all time low.

I hate to just rag on the guy this hard, but in all honesty, there is no chance he can beat Damien Maia. Damien has shown good stand up and since his drop to WW has simply dominated guys. Namely three guys whose bread and butter is grappling, and Maia destroyed them on the ground. With Dana trimming the fat, I suspect Shields, who at one time was the most promising prospect outside of the UFC, will be cut from the promotion.

Probably. He shouldn't, though.

Exit: im a Kampmann fan, but Jake won that fight. It was close, but 29-28 Jake.

No, Maia is a top WW. Win or lose, this should be a great fight.
Grappling 101

Makes sense, guy's more boring than Askren, Fitch and Okami combined.

He will beat Maia, so it's nothing to worry about.

43187424.jpg

I'd be surprised. After Mir vs Barnett, I'm just not getting my hopes up. Man that fight pisses me off.

Yea I was hoping that fight would hit the ground but Barnett has decent power and Mir doesn't have the strongest chin. Maia & Jake will eventually hit the ground.

Can't wait!

Boring, expensive, popped for banned substances.. yep probably cut with a loss.

If dana was not flipfloppin all over the place he should be cut just from his last fights alone. Unless he can somehow top jones/gustafson level of excitement in this fight he should be cut after a win.

If okami was cut there is no reason in the world to keep shields around

He needs to get his confidence back. He's one of the best MWs and WWs ever.

He had a great Strikeforce career, but let's look at what's happened in the UFC for him:

Fights Kampmann. Barely wins a split dec, and in most people's eyes, loses. Verdict: Bad debut
Fights GSP in a title vs title match, pokes Georges in the eyes several times, loses in one of GSP's most boring title fights ever. Verdict: Letdown
Fights Ellenberger. Loses for the first time by KO. Went into fight with the painful loss of father/trainer but didn't back out of fight. Verdict: Tough loss, but showed fortitude.
Fights Akiyama for his job, wins the stand up, fight is largely remembered for Akiyama's awesome judo throws. Verdict: a wins a win.
Fights Ed Herman, thoroughly controls Ed on the ground. Boring fight, but dominant win. Fight overturned to NC to a drug test. Verdict: Well, that hurts.
Fights Woodley. Puts entire crowd to sleep as both men fight timidly in the stand up. Wins a split decision. Verdict: Stock at all time low.

I hate to just rag on the guy this hard, but in all honesty, there is no chance he can beat Damien Maia. Damien has shown good stand up and since his drop to WW has simply dominated guys. Namely three guys whose bread and butter is grappling, and Maia destroyed them on the ground. With Dana trimming the fat, I suspect Shields, who at one time was the most promising prospect outside of the UFC, will be cut from the promotion.

the way things are going, he'll probably get cut if he wins.

Yes. He doesn't put asses in the seats to justify his salary and he's pissed hot. Also, he's had one of the more blessed careers as far as decisions and catching people at the right time. No way he'd ever beat Hendo again. He'll never be anything more than a gatekeeper in the UFC. He had a good run. Is a good fighter, but he can go to Bellator. Nobody will miss him.

He is so boring they gave him a main event in Brazil...now that doesnt make much sense. But maybe they are setting him up for a big loss.

I think that if Jake puts on a good fight, that he may stay. If his fight with Maia is an epic ground war that fans like, win or lose that may keep him around.

Wont get cut cause he is winning.....but once he starts to lost then I can see it happening

Back