Jake Shields (29-6) vs. Rory MacDonald (15-1)

I think Rory would probably jab his way to a decision win. Shields' stand-up isn't 'criminally underrated', it's just terrible. If Shields is unable to take Rory down, which I think is likely, Rory will have his way with him on the feet.

knockouts_Jake_Ellenberger_Knee_and_Punches_Jake_Shields.gif

Ellenberger would still beat him.

Maia was doing good standing against Shields but insisted on playing the grappling game with him. Rory would light Shields up.

This was the fight that should've been made to begin with. Rory is GSP's teammate and Jake fought GSP just two years ago, so neither of them are gonna fight for the title. They both knocked off a contender in their last fight and now WW has two less contenders and two guys at the top of the division who aren't in title contention. I know hindsight is 20/20 and nobody could've known how Rory/Ellenburger and Maia/Shields would play out, but that was some poor match making.

Jake shields CANT beat gsp?
I disagree sure its unlikely but shields could sneak a decision win on gsp on one of jakes good days

No.

GSP for one single fight in his career went for a "don't blink" KO of Jake and threw non stop big ugly over hand rights chasing it.

It was the perfect game plan to allow Jake to land enough eye rakes and jabs to let some judges think he had stolen the rounds. If you look at the GSP/Kos second fight Jake basically got to be GSP with GSP pretending he was Kos.

Jake really had nothing for GSP other then that big opening GSP gifted him. If instead GSP decided to use his speed and jab and usual fight game it would like GSp's Fitch fight.

Back