Jake Shields (29-6) vs. Rory MacDonald (15-1)

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maia was ranked #4 before Shields beat him. How does he do against #3 (Mac)?

I'd be cool with it because no matter who wins, a fighter I hate will lose.

Rory would get blanketed for 3 to 5 rounds. Not even sure this fight would be competitive, and I doubt the UFC wants to risk a possible young contender losing to a guy who can't beat the champ. I have a feeling the UFC is banking heavily on Rory so they can play up the teammate drama and try to force GSP/Mac to fight like Jones/Shad.

Jake shields CANT beat gsp?
I disagree sure its unlikely but shields could sneak a decision win on gsp on one of jakes good days

Good fight for Ares. He will finish Jake and fight the winner of Hendo2/GSP v Condit for the title.

I think Rory could keep it standing for enough of the fight and beat Jake up standing.

Or Jake could blanket him.

Rory would beat Shields by keeping the fight on the feet. Rory is light years ahead of Shields in terms of striking and explosive speed/power. If he can work on stuffing the TD with GSP at practice 6 days per week, he can stuff Shields in the cage. If the fight goes to the ground, you have to favor Shields for grinding a decision or getting a sub. Shields is very strong with his top control. Remember he beat Hendo although Hendo gassed and no longer fights like a wrestler, but he was an Olympian Silver Medal wrestler at one time.

Shields would get KO'd. Rory's too fast.

Rory would beat Shields by keeping the fight on the feet. Rory is light years ahead of Shields in terms of striking and explosive speed/power. If he can work on stuffing the TD with GSP at practice 6 days per week, he can stuff Shields in the cage. If the fight goes to the ground, you have to favor Shields for grinding a decision or getting a sub. Shields is very strong with his top control. Remember he beat Hendo although Hendo gassed and no longer fights like a wrestler, but he was an Olympian Silver Medal wrestler at one time.

Nope

Shields has a very awkward and underrated striking. His jab is surprisingly good. He has high output as well. My money is on Shields via UD or submission.

Jake shields CANT beat gsp?
I disagree sure its unlikely but shields could sneak a decision win on gsp on one of jakes good days

Yea. Bitch all you want about the eyepokes (justifiably, IMO), but Jake came closer than anyone else to beating GSP in a decision since he became champ. It's unlikely, but he'd have a better chance than a lot of others.

Maia was ranked #4 before Shields beat him. How does he do against #3 (Mac)?

I think Rory takes it easily standing. He can keep in on the feet long enough to win. Jake's striking is terrible. Jakes only slim chance is a decision.

MacDonald would put the beating of a lifetime on Shields.

MacDonald has to beat Lawler first which I don't think will happen. I think it's more likely that MacDonald ends up fighting Maia after he loses to Lawler.

However if MacDonald does fight Shields he will beat him, he has a good jab and good takedown defense, as long as he doesn't initiate the grappling he will be able to avoid the takedowns from Shields.

Shields' takedowns aren't all that great but his scambling is which is why he was able to beat Maia because Maia would initiate takedowns as well, which allowed Shields to get into scrambling situations more where he came out on top.

MacDonald would put the beating of a lifetime on Shields.

Unlikely, if Macdonald did win it would be by using his jab for 3-5 rounds and avoiding any grappling or striking exchanges...much like what he did vs Ellenberger...he might be a little looser on the feet but doubt it.....those tri-start fighters love out pointing people.

not gonna lie Rory might catch the blanket treatment

Back