Jake Shields (29-6) vs. Rory MacDonald (15-1)

Yea. Bitch all you want about the eyepokes (justifiably, IMO), but Jake came closer than anyone else to beating GSP in a decision since he became champ. It's unlikely, but he'd have a better chance than a lot of others.

Mine as well blindfold GSP in the rematch.

Rory should lit him up on the feet but i've seen crazy sh*t happening lately I won't be surprise if shields will actually sub him....

Rory would jab him to death and then do the shuffle for an icing on the cake.

funny_Rory_MacDonald_Poorly_Ali_Shuffles_UFC_on_Fox_5.gif

Ares would rape him.

Make it happen!

Rory wins a rather uncompetitive fight. Don't still see how Shields won the first round against Maia but whatever. Shields did look a bit like in his Strikeforce days.

Yea. Bitch all you want about the eyepokes (justifiably, IMO), but Jake came closer than anyone else to beating GSP in a decision since he became champ. It's unlikely, but he'd have a better chance than a lot of others.

He'd have zero chance against GSP, just like before. Jake works very hard for each TD, because he lacks explosive power in his hips. Guys who rely on dragging opponents down have no chance to get GSP to the mat. Even on the off chance that he gets GSP down, we've never seen anybody keep his on his back. I just can't see it happening. Shields is fantastic, but the style matchup is too bad for him.

I can't even give Shields the chance of slapping on a quick submission. For all the talk about his sub game, he's never subbed any high level opponents.

Shields has a very awkward and underrated striking. His jab is surprisingly good. He has high output as well. My money is on Shields via UD or submission.

He has a pitter-patter high volume striking style. It's like a B-grade version of the Diaz brothers (who will eventually inflict damage, unlike Jake). However, I think Rory's striking is better. He does his own high-volume jabbing, mixed in with a bunch of kicks. Shields did enough to outpoint Akiyama and Woodley, but I don't think Rory will let that happen.

I think Rory wins, but it will be a tougher test for him than Ellenberger. Shields will try more TDs and throw a lot more strikes.

I think Rory's youth/athleticism and what comes with that (more speed/explosiveness) would be the difference.

Last edited:
Rory would Force Shields to place an invisible barrier around him preventing him from moving

Rory is WAY too athletic for busy bee Jake Shield.

The waterboy easily stuffs every takedown attempt and inflicts big damage on the busy bee.

I agree with this matchup. Rory doesnt want to fight GSP so he shouldnt fight contenders after Lawler. Even though Dana said Shields would be in good position with a win yesterday, lets be real, no one wanna see Gsp vs Shields 2.

Now that shields has messed up the title picture.

Carlos if he beats brown gets the next shot provided Gsp wins.

Rory/Lawlor vs shields for the the next shot can take place.

Let Rory worry about Lawler first. I personally think Lawler can be just as hard as an opponent as Shields is or better. I mean if Rory falls out of position for a split second, Lawler can put it on you...probably is one of the p4p hardest punchers i've ever seen. Although Rory will likely be able to use his technical standup and high fight iq to keep Lawler at bay as Lawler can get reckless.

If Shields can't take him down he will get picked apart for 3-5 rounds.

If Shields could get him down a little though, that would be interesting. Rory is a really good grappler but Shields is a different animal. We've never really seen Rory against an elite grappler with good TD's. Ellenberger had the wrestling but his focus wasn't on wrestling and he has a different style than Shields.

Jake shields CANT beat gsp?
I disagree sure its unlikely but shields could sneak a decision win on gsp on one of jakes good days
Lmfao at Jake beating GSP via decision. Not fighter at 170 can beat GSP on the score cards they will need to get lucky and flash ko or sub him

Shields and Maia would both beat Rory.

Shields and Maia would both beat Rory.

Now that is a bold statement, Rory wouldnt tristar jab & stall his way to victory against Shields or Maia? Youth is on his side,

Shields would get jabbed to death and stuffed. Shields could get a couple TDs late in the round but it won't be enough for a win.

Or if we just judge by the past- split decision Shields.

Back