Jake Ellenburger's Chin

Jake Shields got TKO'd by knees from Ellenberger.

ufn-25-shields-ellensberger-2.gif

Looks out to me

Forever lost respect after his no-show in the Rory fight.

Robbie showed him how it's done.

I think Jake can take a shot well, but his shortcomings are his striking defense and cardio. Were he to avoid swinging wildly, were he to pick his shots more wisely, and conserve his energy, he wouldn't find himself in situations where his chin is tested.

The only other time he's been rocked in a fight (the Kampmann stoppage was early btw), was the John Howard fight. Jake's chin held up though, and he ended up winning that fight. His chin is fine.

What the fuck? Do you even know what you're watching? The shot that put Ellenberger on queer street was a razor sharp counter straight right from Kampmann the likes of which also floored Diego Sanchez, who I guess has a crap chin by this standard as well. The fact that Ellenberger was not finished outright by such a crisp counter is commendable in and of itself.

Otherwise I've never even seen the guy be rocked.

Robbie showed him how it's done.
Robbie is also a much better striker than Ellenberger, in addition to being a southpaw, which gave Rory fits as Lawler's active lead hand kept him from ever being able to get his jab going except when Lawler wanted him to, at which point he would relinquish hand control then slip and crack McDonald with a hard lead hook.

Note that Lawler essentially beat Rory by shutting down his jab, whereas Ellenberger was shut down by his jab. Different classes of fighters. No-show? More like no-parries.

Last edited:
Roy was knocked out (looked like a TKO to me) by Arlovski years ago. And he's been granite ever since.

Ellenberger's chin is fine.

agree Jake suffers from a mesomorph /conditioning issue most guys with a lot of muscle have issues with developing elite cardio. his tko against kampman was a cardio issue nothing else.

Lawler can KO/TKO anyone.

I question Ellenburger's will more than his chin. Seems like he's one of those fighters who doesn't handle adversity well. If things aren't going his way it seems like he kind of mentally quits.

In terms of power, Ellenberger definitely has it, but I'm not sure he has more than Lawler or Hendricks.

Except Big Rig, apparently. He ate them things up. Every last one of em, unfortunately.

Kampmann hurt him with a knee to the chest i don't think anybody has hurt him with a shot to the head

If Kampmann can get it done, I'm guessing that Lawler could get it done, but Jake's power is something scary I believe it's the best in WW

What d'you guys say?

Lawler
Ellenberger
Lombard
Hendricks
Woodley

You could argue that any one of these guys has the best power at WW. And even the ones u cant make that arguement with are still savages. Condit, Rory, Story, Gastelum, Alves

Lawler
Ellenberger
Lombard
Hendricks
Woodley

You could argue that any one of these guys has the best power at WW. And even the ones u cant make that arguement with are still savages. Condit, Rory, Story, Gastelum, Alves

I know his dad passed away a bit before the fight but how many people have ko'd Sheilds?

He didn't take any really bad shots from Condit because Condit was worn down by the absolute beating he took in the 1st. I think Lawler turns out Ellenberger's lights.

Except Big Rig, apparently. He ate them things up. Every last one of em, unfortunately.

Shocked me. Hendricks looked like a zombie in rounds 3 and 4 and a true world champion in round 5.

Him being finished by Kampmann was almost entirely fatigue. He blew his wad trying to finish Kamp in the first and was exhausted in the 2nd. He got hit with a flush knee and dropped but was still completely conscious. Just utterly exhausted and kinda hurt.

Back