Jake Ellenberger & his podcast cohost owe their producer $6000

Also, cue a bunch of dorks who don't have the whole story about to white kight for some random broad that will never have to know them in real life and would puke at the opportunity for sex w/ said posters...

CHARGE!!!!!!!

As a freelancer myself, I can definitely attest that invoices go unpaid all the time, for everything from an hour's work to weeks. I just cleared up a $700 one yesterday with a very successful yet highly unappreciative sack of shit (former) client, who had been attempting to ignore me for a month. I don't know this story, but I'm simply saying that it is unfortunately commonplace. People can be scum, and often don't want to part with their money after the fact.

I do photography, so my issues are small (usually only 400 or so outstanding to someone at one time) but my neighbor is a cinematographer and tells me stories of clients taking 5-6 months to pay him for a week or so of work, which can be in the 5 figure range.

As a freelancer myself, I can definitely attest that invoices go unpaid all the time, for everything from an hour's work to weeks. I just cleared up a $700 one yesterday with a very successful yet highly unappreciative sack of shit (former) client, who had been attempting to ignore me for a month. I don't know this story, but I'm simply saying that it is unfortunately commonplace. People can be scum, and often don't want to part with their money after the fact.

I do photography, so my issues are small (usually only 400 or so outstanding to someone at one time) but my neighbor is a cinematographer and tells me stories of clients taking 5-6 months to pay him for a week or so of work, which can be in the 5 figure range.

Yep, know it all too well from working as videographer/editor. It's tough. People just don't have respect for the arts or technicians.

Yep, know it all too well from working as videographer/editor. It's tough. People just don't have respect for the arts or technicians.

Precisely. It's no different from many similar scenarios. People who don't appreciate something (be it food, music, cinema, whatever) tend to drag their feet and bicker more on finances.

Precisely. It's no different from many similar scenarios. People who don't appreciate something (be it food, music, cinema, whatever) tend to drag their feet and bicker more on finances.

Gaurantee you these dirtbags tried the "but it's great exposure" angle to avoid payment to here too hahaha <Lmaoo> bastards

I see this happen, in much larger figures, in real estate development all the time. I get it. But I also see contractors charge premium prices for standard to sub-standard services, especially when they've got a chance toss some personality in to it. Watching some design/marketing/PR types attempt to justify their fees can be downright hilarious.

I see this happen, in much larger figures, in real estate development all the time. I get it. But I also see contractors charge premium prices for standard to sub-standard services, especially when they've got a chance toss some personality in to it. Watching some design/marketing/PR types attempt to justify their fees can be downright hilarious.

Yeah, like I said, I know none of these names outside of Jake, so I can't say which side of the field her situation resides on, or how close to the middle.

Yeah, like I said, I know none of these names outside of Jake, so I can't say which side of the field her situation resides on, or how close to the middle.

Same here, so I'm skeptical in all directions.

I'm a partner in a company that regularly contracts with photographers. Some media is produced in house, but there is routinely work that makes more sense to send out.

We generally work with the same vendors regularly and have healthy relationships. We cut a deposit check for 25% when the photos are taken. Web resolution images with watermarks are uploaded in a password protected gallery, then we approve specific images to go through a final edit.

The balance is paid and the full resolution images are released to us.

Are you turning in your work before getting paid, or am I misunderstanding your work flow?

I'm a partner in a company that regularly contracts with photographers. Some media is produced in house, but there is routinely work that makes more sense to send out.

We generally work with the same vendors regularly and have healthy relationships. We cut a deposit check for 25% when the photos are taken. Web resolution images with watermarks are uploaded in a password protected gallery, then we approve specific images to go through a final edit.

The balance is paid and the full resolution images are released to us.

Are you turning in your work before getting paid, or am I misunderstanding your work flow?

Many people do. Commercial photography is not always the same as other markets. I work in real estate photography, and yes, I may eventually move to pixieset or some sort of website which enables me to upload the images through a paywall, but I haven't yet. Also, yes, it is common to send the images and then invoice. I also sometimes receive a check at the shoot itself.

Why the hell do you need someone to produce your podcast? Part of the allure of making a podcast is that just about anyone can do it.

Why the hell do you need someone to produce your podcast? Part of the allure of making a podcast is that just about anyone can do it.

Personally I don't usually listen to podcasts that are poorly produced, I find it annoying. There is so much content available, if the audio wasn't recorded with a compressor, and it clips every time someone laughs, I'm out.

Having the right equipment and good mixing makes a better product, I definitely prefer well produced podcasts.

Many people do. Commercial photography is not always the same as other markets. I work in real estate photography, and yes, I may eventually move to pixieset or some sort of website which enables me to upload the images through a paywall, but I haven't yet. Also, yes, it is common to send the images and then invoice. I also sometimes receive a check at the shoot itself.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing.

I can't imagine in my own business, expecting a vendor to float what I owe them after delivering their product, unless they've agreed to NET terms.

In this respect, you are acting as a bank for the folks who aren't paying you on time.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing.

I can't imagine in my own business, expecting a vendor to float what I owe them after delivering their product, unless they've agreed to NET terms.

In this respect, you are acting as a bank for the folks who aren't paying you on time.

It's odd yet precedent. I may begin using pixieset, as I may have mentioned, which shows thumbnail previews and forces the agents to pay, but haven't needed to thus far. That sack of shit this week really pushed my irritation to the near breaking point, though.

Should of called up Platinum Married Mike
He would of got that 6 grand out of Ellen Burger in a jiffy

B6498FEF-16E8-44A0-91F7-3E0552A1EEAB.gif

I literally said that was strange as well - but as you also said, maybe she doesn't feel it is worth it if a lawsuit will cost more than what she is owed?

Is that expensive to sue someone in the U.S.? And does the value dosen't come corrected for inflation and with interest at the end of the lawsuit?

Genuine questions. If it was in Brazil, I, as a lawyer, would charge her 30% of the final economic advantage of the suit that, corrected and with 1% montly interest rate, can go for a good sum, and it would only take a few months in "small claims court".

This is an insane story and I'm amazed I haven't heard it talked about anywhere. Vicky Pezza has produced a number of big podcasts like The Naughty Show with Sam Tripoli, Tell 'Em Steve Dave, and Rutten and Ranallo. Jake Ellenberger and his cohost Jon Orlando hired Vicky and Lee Syatt (producer of Joey Diaz's podcast) to produce their show Action Junkeez. Lee left within the first few months and in September of 2017 they told Vicky that they couldn't pay her till January of 2018 so either she could keep producing the show and get paid a lump sum in January or she could stop producing the show. She continued to produce the show until January and they still refused to pay saying they couldn't afford to pay her at the time. They still refuse to pay to this day and refuse to even address it.

There is even more crazy shit to the story described in the thread and podcast below:

Also they bought this in September 2018

DsYkozeVsAAO2Qf.jpg

They originally owed her 8k but Jake Ellenberger felt bad and gave her 2k, and promised her the rest after his next fight, but then ghosted her.

I seriously don't even give a fuck. Who works on consignment? Get paid upfront or suffer the consequences.

Also, the car is covered in a Galpin wrap. He clearly didn't buy it. No one buys a car and gets a wrap advertising the dealership that sold it to them. He's probably driving it as part of an endorsement deal.

Either way, why the hell do I care about whether someone got paid to produce another shitty ass podcast?

Why would an established podcast producer who has produced many big shows without incident lie about that?

And if someone was lying about you like that, wouldn't you actually respond? If Ellenberger did indeed pay her, it'd be pretty easy to prove.
Why should he have to prove to YOU whether he paid or not? And why should he care whether YOU believe him or her? LOL

Personally I don't usually listen to podcasts that are poorly produced, I find it annoying. There is so much content available, if the audio wasn't recorded with a compressor, and it clips every time someone laughs, I'm out.

Having the right equipment and good mixing makes a better product, I definitely prefer well produced podcasts.

It's not that hard to find a good mic, audio interface, pop shield etc etc. You can actually just YouTube "podcast recording equipment" follow their tips and get a decent set up for like 300-500 dollars depending on how many mics you want.

I've never heard their podcast, so maybe she's doing some quality editing or something.

It's not that hard to find a good mic, audio interface, pop shield etc etc. You can actually just YouTube "podcast recording equipment" follow their tips and get a decent set up for like 300-500 dollars depending on how many mics you want.

I've never heard their podcast, so maybe she's doing some quality editing or something.

Foam and pop shields don't really matter so much as running compression between the mic and the recording device. Listening to a podcast clip is just too irritating for me. I would prefer listening to a podcast with a $30 generic mic ran through a compressor over a $300 condenser with no compression.

You can buy inexpensive multi-channel mixers with compression built in, or a basic outboard compressor for like $150 on Amazon. You are right that gear has never been cheaper or more available.

The reality is for most non-technical folks, they aren't going to research all of the equipment, set it up, learn how RSS feeds work or research which platforms to use, learn how to edit, monitoring, adjust the levels in real time, make a final mix, etc etc

Most high quality podcasts have a producer, the high end ones multiple producers and a real budget. Even 'one man shows' often have someone technical working on getting the raw audio mixed down and up to the host, out through to the feeds etc.

Back