Jack Slack weighs in on Bisping vs Silva

the thing i like about jack slack the most is when he posts an article, he'll flame and argue anyone that disagrees with him on here. it makes me warm and fuzzy inside to know that no matter how popular someone gets, they never lose their true inner sherdog spirit.

damn right! this is the warzone!

I've read the article a few times & just can't fathom the criticism it's getting out. He nailed the fight breakdown, imo.

The fact Jack gets criticism from both fighters fans so often from his post fight autopsies is a testament to how incredibly fair & balanced his critical thinking is.

Some nutter who wrote articles before Silva, Barao and Rousey lost detailing how it would happen.
lol piss off with that.

you get paid to write those "killing the king" articles to examine how someone MIGHT beat the champion. there is a huge difference in "This is how someone MIGHT beat _____" and "i am predicting the champion to lose because _____"

when you literally write articles for a living about nearly every championship fight, you will be "right" every time the champion loses. you will be "wrong" every time the champion wins. you didn't predict those fights so why are you acting like you're some wizard?

even recently you were completely favoring dillashaw against cruz and cruz spanked your boy. i'm sure you will go on about how you "didn't choose" to imply you weren't incorrect, but everyone knows you were on dillashaw's snake after cruz called you out for being a moron

even recently you were completely favoring dillashaw against cruz and cruz spanked your boy. i'm sure you will go on about how you "didn't choose" to imply you weren't incorrect, but everyone knows you were on dillashaw's snake after cruz called you out for being a moron

You should definitely share a quote or two which demonstrates my leaning towards Dillashaw. Because it sounds a lot like you're repeating something you imagined.

You should definitely share a quote or two which demonstrates my leaning towards Dillashaw. Because it sounds a lot like you're repeating something you imagined.

Mate, your articles are very accurate and I always thoroughly enjoy reading them - lads like him questioning you, obviously have no clue.

I do have one small question though.

If the klaxon sounded a second later why is it relevant that you believe Bisping was knocked out?

Great article. As usual Jack points out things that I miss through two viewings of the fight. Most of what he said echoes my sentiments.

It'll certainly rustle the jimmies of AS fans, when he says that whether it was last week or 4 years ago, Bisping's style would have troubled him.

While more or less spot on, the 'would have struggled 4 years ago' comment something that you would only say if you have never competed in combat sports. [Even though 4 years ago, the decline was already well on the way].

Having competed in combat sports for years, and in my late 30's myself, it's a game of inches. All of those fights where Anderson lost the first round [Only to win by stoppage] - he would likely lose now. Yes he still has great techniques and some decent speed, but his chin has deteriorated, his reflexes are somewhat declined, and it's that 2-3% that is the difference between a second round KO and a 5 round decision loss. [It's also these minor differences that can alter the game plan of a Chris Weidman or Micheal Bisping - When you're under pressure you make mistakes].

A great fighter can break the rules, but they can only do so while they are at their peak. It's their ability to break the rules which finishes more technical fighters, but it's that very same style that gets you in trouble once your physical attributes disappear. See Roy Jones.

He would have to have a history of competing in combat sports to understand it. Unfortunately all the footage in the world can't teach you that.

Last edited:
Thought bisping was talking to the ref almost immediately after the knee. Was cognizant.
Doesn't take that kind of knee to cause concussions. We watch fighters win fights with concussions frequently.
Kinda weird you didn't come out and say who you thought won.
One of your better articles

Good piece, as usual, but sometimes Jack doesn't mention the obvious since it can make a lot of his analysis seem unnecessary. In this case, he fails to mention the elephant in the room: Silva's chin is shot.

Silva got clipped repeatedly by short punches from the perennially pillow-fisted Bisping. And while Silva's game is counterpunching, he is more than capable of pressuring and finishing the fight that way. He attempted to do that a few times, but (as Jack does mention), he hit the deck whenever Bisping landed a counter strike.

If Silva had half of his chin left, he'd have pressured Bisping and finished the fight in round 3 or 4. That was the biggest factor in the fight. From a technical standpoint, this fight was otherwise the same Silva we've seen fighting the same Bisping we've seen.
Yeah, I thought this was a great piece, and love Jacks work - BUT this point is very very important. As a look into the future, watch Conor right now. Amazing skill, fantastic movement yet he still gets hit… A lot. Once his reflexes go and his chin declines, some of those shots [From even a Bradao for instance] could put him down… [At which point people will start dissecting what he's doing 'wrong' instead of acknowledging the obvious].

It changes the entire complexion of everything - Especially when you're a fighter who wins based on opportunity. Once one of your biggest weapons [Which create opportunities] disappears, it becomes much more difficult to implement your skill set.

You perfectly illustrate it in the second portion of your post: "If Silva had half of his chin left, he'd have pressured Bisping and finished the fight in round 3 or 4."

Using the Henderson fight as an example, this mirrors exactly what you outline. After losing a dominant first round, he started to push the pace, he was clipped, but it was in that ability to take the punches, that he created an opportunity and ultimately finished the fight.

This highlights exactly why it's a game of inches. Once the opportunity was created, Henderson started to 'lunge' but he wasn't 'lunging' up until that point. In fact he was very measured! Had the current version of Anderson been in the octagon, he would have likely been rocked, retreated and missed an opportunity to finish [Probably even lost a decision].

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back