• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Izzy vs DDP official for UFC 305 in Australia on August 17

Who Wins?

• Total voters
You think that based on what?
metrics, I think he's just increased in poplarity a lot and he seems to get a good promotional push. before the Izzy I dont think they wanted him as champ, but after it happened i think they came around to it.

I have a few casual MMA friends who really really like strickland because he's cool and bad ass. even though his fights are borring af and all he does is run away.

I think they are turning a leaf on him, they are starting to realize he does speak directly to the hearts of MMA fans. Beating the shit out of izzy made him a lot of fans, as a champion he was well supported it seemed.
They don't care about that. He's too unstable and says wild shit.

The UFC doesn't like Strickland
I get that.

Maybe I'm missing something (as I don't pretend to understand what the best business practices would be,) but it seems like moves like these undermine the legitimacy of the sport.

Where does Izzy really rank on the "star power" drawing scale?
Seems like the UFC is moving more toward the "boxing money grabs" that Dana used to lambast.

Considering how many sports trainspotters there are out there, and how diverse/nuanced MMA* can be, it seems like a real missed opportunity for growing a larger fanbase.

*I should use the word “seems” a bit more.*

Last edited:
They don't care about that. He's too unstable and says wild shit.
I think the opposite, He's polarizing. the wild shit he says is ultimately a good thing. If you dont like him you'll tune in to see him lose. some people felt that way about izzy too. both sean and izzy can be prone to boring fights, but if they say captivating things it's good for the UFC. anything that creates a headline is good for them. When sean lost his title here in toronto, his right wing antics were in the local papers. but really nothing about dricus du plessi.

Right now, I think sean is more popular than Dricus, and has more heat asscociated with his name

DDP will eat a few of slender mans shots so he can smash him that SAP🧨‼️
King of Zamunda👑 will humble this ChinaGuy in Australia📍🇦🇺

If DDP comes in with his wrestling shoes, he'll win. If he can't take Izzy down or chooses to stand to prove a point, he gets outpointed or even finished. His style is different than Sean's, so I don't know if he will have the same sustained success on the feet.

I was far more interested in this fight last November. Goes to show you important timing is for matchups.

I'll still watch, but my hope is cut in half from where it was.

Izzy on a 2-2 run, coming off a loss, right into a title shot. Its pretty deflated now you are right, timing is everything.

Dricus has won 7 in a row in the UFC so he's due for a loss, statistically long runs against ranked opponents rarely last much longer than that. Izzy won 9 in a row before losing to Jan, then never put another streak together again. That 9 includes whatever we should call his fight with Romero.

Izzy will have had a year off from fighting to recover and prepare and he's fighting on home turf. I think some of those X factors are good for him here.

Dricus is so funky and interesting to watch, this will still be a really fun fight even if the stakes are not the same.

If DDP comes in with his wrestling shoes, he'll win. If he can't take Izzy down or chooses to stand to prove a point, he gets outpointed or even finished. His style is different than Sean's, so I don't know if he will have the same sustained success on the feet.
Dricus is a tank and he hits very hard. I see him walking izzy down and busting him up.

I was far more interested in this fight last November. Goes to show you important timing is for matchups.

I'll still watch, but my hope is cut in half from where it was.

I feel very much the same. I'm very indifferent about this fight. It's strange because before Izzy lost to Sean, This was my most anticipated fight.

Dricus is a tank and he hits very hard. I see him walking izzy down and busting him up.
He definitely hits hard, but he gets very sloppy. Sean frustrated him with the jab when they fought and he ended up throwing sloppy overhands that left him hanging in no man's land a few times.

If Izzy still has it, he will counter that hard everytime unlike Sean who was content on circling away and resetting.

Dogbender really doesn't deserve this TS but here we are.
Hope DDP takes it but he has to use his grappling some.

I like Izzy but I hope DDP completely dominates him just because of the undeserved title shot he's getting.

The UFC doesn't like Strickland

UFC is now shown more on ESPN and this network doesn't like people who shout f***lgbtqandplus on TV as Disney owns it. Yup conspiracy theory but most likely true. I probably would believe this if Trump is not on 303.

Izzy is getting old.

Dricus is young and hungry.

I don't think Izzy has the dog in him anymore.

1-2 in his last 3 fights.

Impressive being gifted a shitle tot.
Hope DDP murks him.

If Izzy comes in gunshy he could be in a world of trouble.

DDP is strong and has nasty ground game.

Back