• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Izzy > Alex as an MMA fighter

Well, I think Izzy is done and Alex isn’t, so this point will not age great. That said, Izzy’s resume is stronger on paper, but in reality he looked less impressive in many fights than his score suggests. Whittaker 2 was too close. Cannonier and Vettori were stinkers. Yoel wasn’t even a fight, what on earth was that anyway? His fight against Strickland was mind boggling to me. Please realise I am a fan of Adesanya (inside the cage, at least) and hope he can upset DDP, but at this point I am not convinced he has it in him anymore. Alex, on the other hand, is in that rare spot when a champion starts defending, makes it look easy and seems invincible. It is a mental, confidence thing.
Izzy - DDP and Alex - Ank will answer a lot of questions and I can’t wait. Izzy - Alex at LHW with both guys holding belts would be a fight for the ages.

He doesn’t have the advantages that Alex had. He has a smaller frame so he did with it what he could. He even knocked out Alex with what he was given. Just because he wasn’t blessed with a left hand like Alex’s doesn’t make him less of a fighter than him. He still negated the opponents with whatever skills he had.

This is like comparing GSP vs Silva all over again. Lay and pray fighter who did what he could with what he had vs Silva who was knocking people out left and right.

MMA math guys: Alex > Strickland > Izzy.

Alex has better winning percentage in UFC title bouts.

Izzy hiding at MW. Alex confirming HW.

This is the exact disingenuous type of argument this thread is aimed at.

Izzy doesn’t have to give Alex a title shot and he doesn’t have to move up. Two different fighters who have a history but only one has been cleaning out a way more competitive division.

Adesanya should move up and beat Pereira again if he thinks he's the better fighter. I'm sure the UFC would make it happen.

Adesanya should move up and beat Pereira again if he thinks he's the better fighter. I'm sure the UFC would make it happen.

He doesn’t have to. He’s doing his thing in a division he’s been dominating for a while now. I’m sure if Alex wanted a title shot at DDP the UFC would have gave him one. Why didn’t he take that route?

Alex runs through that list except for maybe Whittaker. But the size difference would be huge and I'd still favor Alex to chin him.

Alex has beaten everyone that izzy has lost too (Jan and strickland). The opposite is not true.

Izzy wins:

Periera
Cannonier
Whittaker x2
Vettori x2
Costa
Romero
Gastelum
Silva
Tavares
Brunson

Alex wins:

Izzy
Strickland
Blachowicz
Jiri x2
Hill

How the hell are you guys throwing words around like GOAT or saying that Alex’s run in the UFC is better and that he eclipsed Izzy? If that’s the case then Conor is the GOAT too cause he won two titles.

Alex is taller and has a wider frame than Izzy so yeah I’m not impressed that he’s able to bully Izzy in a fight… and yet he still got knocked out last time they fought. But in terms of resume, Izzy has the way harder strength of schedule and defended his title for longer in a much tougher division. Alex is not a better fighter, he’s just bigger than Izzy and his run in the UFC hasn’t been better than Izzy’s just because he was able to win two titles as opposed to one. LHW is weak and the title has been passed around like a hot potato.

Put your hate of Izzy aside and look at the facts. Shaman.

64-israel-adesanya-next-to-64-alex-pereira-v0-q1xhxm9xcm0a1.png

FWxe_TMUYAIyEiN.jpg:large
How much of your life are you gonna waste obsessing and hating on Poatan?
For God sake, take a break, stop posting, and getting a fucking life, loser.

Izzy wins:

Periera
Cannonier
Whittaker x2
Vettori x2
Costa
Romero
Gastelum
Silva
Tavares
Brunson

Alex wins:

Izzy
Strickland
Blachowicz
Jiri x2
Hill

How the hell are you guys throwing words around like GOAT or saying that Alex’s run in the UFC is better and that he eclipsed Izzy? If that’s the case then Conor is the GOAT too cause he won two titles.

Alex is taller and has a wider frame than Izzy so yeah I’m not impressed that he’s able to bully Izzy in a fight… and yet he still got knocked out last time they fought. But in terms of resume, Izzy has the way harder strength of schedule and defended his title for longer in a much tougher division. Alex is not a better fighter, he’s just bigger than Izzy and his run in the UFC hasn’t been better than Izzy’s just because he was able to win two titles as opposed to one. LHW is weak and the title has been passed around like a hot potato.

I agree 100%

Wow, are people really calling Alex a better middleweight than Anderson the spider Silva?! You have to be kidding, this nut hugging has gone to another level.

I think both fighters are excellent and their series of fights, help each others legacies in both MMA and Kick Boxing.
I believe Izzy’s KO win over Poatan ages better and better, even with Alex seemingly draining himself to make the weight. He was fine for all his other fights at 185 and no one else has even hurt him.
He’s looking more and more like a monster and so Izzy’s KO win is impressive to me. I think there’s room to appreciate both fighters.

He doesn’t have the advantages that Alex had. He has a smaller frame so he did with it what he could. He even knocked out Alex with what he was given. Just because he wasn’t blessed with a left hand like Alex’s doesn’t make him less of a fighter than him. He still negated the opponents with whatever skills he had.

This is like comparing GSP vs Silva all over again. Lay and pray fighter who did what he could with what he had vs Silva who was knocking people out left and right.
Well yes, I agree. But this thread literally asks to compare. Izzy did what he needed to win and so does Alex. Alex is just bigger and scarier. Both will go down in history as important names in mma.

Izzy wins:

Periera
Cannonier
Whittaker x2
Vettori x2
Costa
Romero
Gastelum
Silva
Tavares
Brunson

Alex wins:

Izzy
Strickland
Blachowicz
Jiri x2
Hill

Alex probably beats all the names in Izzy’s list. Can Izzy do the same with Alex’s list? I don’t think so.

Alex probably beats all the names in Izzy’s list. Can Izzy do the same with Alex’s list? I don’t think so.
Besides Jan(which I don’t think Alex beat emphatically) I think Izzy beats Alex’s list too.

I mean in terms of overall career accomplishments? Sure Izzy has a longer resume, he’s also been in mma much longer and from a much younger age

Alex’s resume is more impressive in terms of peak. It’s more unique.

I'm a fan of Adesanya, and I would always favor him if the two would meet again...

But Pereira has already accomplished more than Adesanya has in the sport, at least so far.

Back