Ivan Drago/science based fighters?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Are there fighters/trainers that approach the fight game with science in terms of scientific research in training as well as nutrition?

The late Billy Rush who prior to committing suicide was very scientific with Joe Riggs and Rich Franklin.

With both of them he made sure no one was eating junk food at all during camp and monitored their sodium level. With Richard he worked with his conditioning and leaning him out:

20191218_101504.jpg

With Riggs he made sure to have him shed body fat before water weight.

vlcsnap-2017-05-31-21h00m13s216.png

It's unfortunate that he took his own life. He had few problems that he was unable to overcome. But he was a brilliant man who was called " mad scientist"

EDIT:

Forgot crazy old man that trained BJ Penn.

Last edited:
Gsp? Probably the most methodical one when it comes to something like this, imo.

By scientific you mean steroids? Cos in the movie he was juiced to the gills...

Gsp? Probably the most methodical one when it comes to something like this, imo.

Gsp admits to having a crappy diet but I guess he does kind of counts.

By scientific you mean steroids? Cos in the movie he was juiced to the gills...

No he was not. He was taking vitaminshots because after tough training he needed to get rid of lactic acid build up.

He was more of a genetic with science training.

Sage Northcutt

His dad is a bodybuilder. It seems like sage is scientific but not really. He lacks technical skills and his muscles are not very functional.

Brock just a jacked white boy lesner ?

Pure genetics.

No he was not. He was taking vitaminshots because after tough training he needed to get rid of lactic acid build up.

giphy.gif

I am a big Franklin supporter yet I am not sure if what he was doing was more scientific unless you are classifying him as a pioneer of cutting weight. Franklin bullied fighters with his size.

Other than he was one of the first to do it I don't think he sticks out historically speaking.

TJ Dillashaw. Too lazy to link the video but he had an entire table of supplements he was taking and showing off.

Funny enough, he failed a drug test so I guess that made him fit the bill even more eh?

Are there fighters/trainers that approach the fight game with science in terms of scientific research in training as well as nutrition?

The late Billy Rush who prior to committing suicide was very scientific with Joe Riggs and Rich Franklin.

With both of them he made sure no one was eating junk food at all during camp and monitored their sodium level. With Richard he worked with his conditioning and leaning him out:

View attachment 696045

With Riggs he made sure to have him shed body fat before water weight.

View attachment 696049

It's unfortunate that he took his own life. He had few problems that he was unable to overcome. But he was a brilliant man who was called " mad scientist"
Yes, TJ Dillashaw is helping with his clean juice franchises.

I am a big Franklin supporter yet I am not sure if what he was doing was more scientific unless you are classifying him as a pioneer of cutting weight. Franklin bullied fighters with his size.

Other than he was one of the first to do it I don't think he sticks out historically speaking.

That's my point in a sense. Rich Franklin was scientific with weight cutting because the technical aspects of the game was not evolved to this level.

So Billy rush used an existing science from that era of MMA to milk it up as much as possible.

Also Ivan Drago was scientifically enhanced!

dxOlPa.gif

GSP seems to have been the most scientific in his approach; at one time he had a team composed of head coach, specialized trainers (strength, conditioning, boxing, bjj, wrestling, etc), nutritionist, chef, doctor, physiotherapist, sport psychologist and mental coach.

So about a dozen people on the payroll (obviously most of them part time, but still) helping scientifically perfect every aspect of the preparation.

That’s by the way how top sport stars like Ronaldo or Federer or Hamilton operate ... but for them it’s easy as money is truly no object (guys earning 100 million per year, each year, since many years).

I don’t know but I would guess Conor might/should get a bit more scientific about it all given that he has the means ... or better, go full spartan mode, training in the woods using logs like Karelin.

Last edited:
Back