How diligent are UFC fighters with their diet?

The average HW is terrible with it. Lots of guys who could easily fight one or two weight classes below if they knew how to put the fork down. If only they had that precious knowledge of how to put the fork down...

A lot of fighters have a very unhealthy relationship with food.

Makes sense too, if you can't eat what you want for weeks and weeks at a time, then the moment you can, you go wild and eat an obscene amount of obscene food. This is extremely common among fighters that cut a lot of weight.

No. Doesn't really make sense. A fighter with discipline doesn't go wild. They know what their body needs and what they need to do to stay in optimal shape.

You really shouldn't post a response if you don't know what it takes to keep your body in shape.

If fighters fought at their actual weight class they wouldn’t have to worry so much about diets
Guys just weigh what ever and have to fight the 4 guys that happen to land on their number? Weight divisions aside, there are optimal weight for people. Get too heavy you suffer.

Unprofessional slobs by and large. In the major sports, those guys stay in shape and train year round. They use training camp to get in game ready shape. If you talk to people who have been around those big league sports, they will tell 40 to 50 years ago they only worked out in training camp. That shit doesn’t fly anymore except for these MMA guys. No wonder they miss weight so often.

most mma guys eat like shit if they are not cutting. I only remember that guy on season 1 of the reality show who used to eat organic and make his own supplements, forgot his name but you guys will remember. Hes the only one that ate clean.

If fighters fought at their actual weight class they wouldn’t have to worry so much about diets
This obsession with weight cutting is in the same league as fighter pay. Completely useless. Just like nobody forces a guy somewhere to sign a contract, nobody can force a guy not to cut weight if he wants to.

No one knows what other people do when no one is around.

Everyone eats, and generally prefers to eat whatever they like.

Most people say they eat X but they really eat Y.

So how the hell would you ever know?

No one is going to admit lying about what they actually eat.

In a fighting promotion, who wins fights is what matters.

What people eat is like some kind of noise that doesn't matter because you never know what they eat no matter what they say.

:D

Now 20 years later, the world of dieting has changed, we have carnivore, paleo, vegan, vegetarian and some fighters do not seem to diet at all. I am a bit confused. Do fighters still diet in a strict manner?

Just to clarify, I legit have no idea what is going on and would like to know what type of dieting style is trending or if its just calorie control?

The reason diets keep getting new names is because its an industry. There is no real magic to it. Every time I see it now days I just think back of this picture from David Choe who went to live with hunter gatherers in Tanzania. The basically just eat barriers, honey, and monkeys. Just eat things as they are found in nature and avoid all the shit we invented like oil, butter, sugar, salt etc.

HadzaArcheryPractice.jpg

losing weight is not as hard as it sounds i am not a professional fighter but 3 years ago i made a bet with my heavier/fat friend that i could lose 20 lbs in a month i was 175 at 5'10 sure enough i lost the 20 lbs in 2.5 weeks i was on a all fruit diet

The average pro fighter trains super hard so as long as they get their protein in, they can get away with eating not super clean. It’s really the portions that fuck you up.

I eat pretty clean but eat a shitload, so unfortunately I’m not able to make my optimal weight class currently.

Last edited:
"When I was commander in chief of the diet, I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I just trained all the time and burned it all off. I built a nine fight winning streak on breakfast jacks and Carne Asada burritos, honestly." - Dominic Cruz
-Source-

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle ..

Fuck, that joke can get you cancelled nowadays
Would it?

Or would people just agree with you?
{<shrug}

"Yeah, that's right your aunt could sew on some balls and be your uncle!!"

I think it differentiates a lot depending the division, body type or just the person(how they choose to eat/what method they prefer for cutting). There's also some people less discipline then others with their diet, like Aldo who apparently didn't get a nutritionist until deciding to move down to bantamweight.

This is just another bit, but this guy called Jordan Sullivan is the nutritionist for Izzy, Leon and Volk.
He also posted some stuff about it on his socials if you wanna check it out.

Back