It's been 6 years since I severely herniated my L4/L5 disc.

That didn't take very long.

The very next post...

Strength is strength man, the body doesn't care about the source of the external resistance either. Some exercises are more effective and efficient at building strength and contributing to growth, but they're not always applicable to all people. Most people, but not all.

And saying that if you can't do the Big Three then you should quit altogether despite there being viable (if not less efficient) alternatives is a cop-out.

"If you can't do everything awesome you should do nothing at all!!"

Typical Sherdog thread, derailed within the first few posts by an argument about powerlifting.

Good points. It's so funny that now there are "3" lifts that determine the end all of strength on these boards. Even by pure strength standards it makes no sense. Old strongmen kept records for over 60 lifts and the bench press wasnt even considered important if it was practiced at all.

Louis Cyr could walk in right now and someone would tell him that he wasnt strong because his total was underwhelming.

It's funny to say this but I honestly feel better after deadlifting. My back is all stiff and I have a hard time with it in the cold weather when it's freezing out.(Fuck Canada..haha)

As soon as I warm up, and then do my heavy lifts I feel like a million $$$. The times I hurt my back wasn't really during training, it was either at work or at home. Most of the time I got injured was when I wasn't going hard in training.

Ever since I started going hard like I used to before my back went to shit, which was about 3 months ago, I've reached the point where I'm at now.

For the record, before the many injuries I was 195-200lbs, and my maxes were:

Squat-405
Bench-315
Deadlift-455

So being in the 1k club wasn't new to me, it just felt hopeless to reach that goal after my injuries. I'm slowly reaching those numbers. :D

Ever try sumo? After wrecking my back a few times conventional, i made the switch and have felt better. That and not doing such a low position on low bars.

I did try it and sucked at it. I made a pretty decent return to deadlifting after the last injury and got my max up from 510 to 530. I felt pretty comfortable during most sessions, but I just had one of those sessions where bad habits returned. I'm getting a bit older, so I'm bound to have more and more injuries.

That's a healthy outlook. In the meantime, I highly reccomend hanging from a pull-up bar followed by high rep band good mornings (Iron woody or EliteFTS closed loopers). The decompression followed by fresh blood to the area tends to help alleviate a significant amount of pain.

I was around here during the glory days of this board. Carnal, Lusst etc. There's a reason that longevity isn't a common quality found input S&P posters.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The stretches my doc has me doing is like doing yoga pretty much. I'll try anything that will help and get me over this.

Good points. It's so funny that now there are "3" lifts that determine the end all of strength on these boards. Even by pure strength standards it makes no sense. Old strongmen kept records for over 60 lifts and the bench press wasnt even considered important if it was practiced at all.

Louis Cyr could walk in right now and someone would tell him that he wasnt strong because his total was underwhelming.

I'm calling bullshit.

Jake Pudenz and belph both focus mainly on Oly lifts and aren't derided, miaou follows a balanced strength programme that involves the big three and the power variations of the Oly lifts, and he isn't derided. There are guys here who focus on grip work, athletic movements, lifting to support a sport, eastNYgoon does strongman, people lift for rehab. To insinuate that the core members of this board are powerlifting meatheads is false at best and insulting at worst.

If you want proof, here is a link to the Sherdog S&C whiteboard. Only 3 out of the 8 lifts on there are contested in powerlifting. Your statement is misleading and inaccurate.

I'm calling bullshit.

Jake Pudenz and belph both focus mainly on Oly lifts and aren't derided, miaou follows a balanced strength programme that involves the big three and the power variations of the Oly lifts, and he isn't derided. There are guys here who focus on grip work, athletic movements, lifting to support a sport, eastNYgoon does strongman, people lift for rehab. To insinuate that the core members of this board are powerlifting meatheads is false at best and insulting at worst.

If you want proof, here is a link to the Sherdog S&C whiteboard. Only 3 out of the 8 lifts on there are contested in powerlifting. Your statement is misleading and inaccurate.

Eh. If you want to play the "insulted" card as a grown man, that's your right.

I think that's silly.

As someone who's been a part of the S&P board for over half a decade, and based on what we've seen in this thread, I stand by my statement.

I think that's silly.

As someone who's been a part of the S&P board for over half a decade, and based on what we've seen in this thread, I stand by my statement.

AS someone who's also been around since the S&P "glory days", I'll make a couple quick points, and then go back to lurking.

-- Yes, the same biases and stereotypes existed back in those days. Powerlifters argued that they got stronger more efficiently doing the big three, and others made valid points that there were other ways to skin the cat. Personally, I see both sides but it's hard to argue against heavy, compound lifts (of which there are more than three, but "the" three are pretty essential) as an effective strength producer.

-- You came in with a chip on your shoulder, somewhat derailed the thread, said some things which were provocative if not wholly inaccurate, and now there's an argument. This was unnecessary, really. Make your own thread if you want to dredge up this same, tired debate.

Just my two cents. Bye.

AS someone who's also been around since the S&P "glory days", I'll make a couple quick points, and then go back to lurking.

-- Yes, the same biases and stereotypes existed back in those days. Powerlifters argued that they got stronger more efficiently doing the big three, and others made valid points that there were other ways to skin the cat. Personally, I see both sides but it's hard to argue against heavy, compound lifts (of which there are more than three, but "the" three are pretty essential) as an effective strength producer.

-- You came in with a chip on your shoulder, somewhat derailed the thread, said some things which were provocative if not wholly inaccurate, and now there's an argument. This was unnecessary, really. Make your own thread if you want to dredge up this same, tired debate.

Just my two cents. Bye.

I really don't though. In fact, I acknowledged that barbell lifts are the best way for people to add strength and size most effectively. I simply said that the reason alternative methods exist is for people like the TS with compromising, if not completely debilitating injuries.

In a nutshell:
Healthy individuals should absolutely lift heavy weights.
Those with serious injuries should listen to their doctors and consider that there are EFFECTIVE alternatives given their specific condition.
That's all.

I think that's silly.

I'm not insulted, but what you have said could be considered insulting to people who contribute to the board and legimiately try to help people.

You're trying to write off the advice of other posters by making yourself out to be a more experienced member of the forum - "I've been around since the days of Carnal and Lusst" - which is an obvious attempt to make people think you know better than the active F13 posters. You then stereotyped the board into being a "big 3" meathead paradise who ignore prehab and rehab, which is just not true. Referring to people here as militants is another example of you seeming to know better.

Your advice is accurate and true, if you've got bulging discs then maybe barbells lifts aren't for you. It's more your manner of giving advice that is disingenuine, as opposed to the actual content.

I don't do any of the big three and I've been welcomed with open arms on this board. Mostly because I offer free medical advice. Plus guys know if they cross me, that I'll beat them and then walk off carrying their girlfriend.

I don't do any of the big three and I've been welcomed with open arms on this board. Mostly because I offer free medical advice. Plus guys know if they cross me, that I'll beat them and then walk off carrying their girlfriend.

I wonder, what color is the sky in this fantasy world you live in?

:wink:

I'm not insulted, but what you have said could be considered insulting to people who contribute to the board and legimiately try to help people.

You're trying to write off the advice of other posters by making yourself out to be a more experienced member of the forum - "I've been around since the days of Carnal and Lusst" - which is an obvious attempt to make people think you know better than the active F13 posters. You then stereotyped the board into being a "big 3" meathead paradise who ignore prehab and rehab, which is just not true. Referring to people here as militants is another example of you seeming to know better.

Your advice is accurate and true, if you've got bulging discs then maybe barbells lifts aren't for you. It's more your manner of giving advice that is disingenuine, as opposed to the actual content.

You know what? That's fair. You're right. I could have handled it better.

But when I see people telling someone with a serious injury to basically do it ONE way or "find another hobby" it's pretty disturbing.

Especially since I've received that advice in my life. Horrible doctors would tell me to cut out all lifting, and then people like the aforementioned posters would tell me that if I couldn't lift one specific way, it was a waste of time. If I'd have followed their advice, I would have never been able to make the immense progress that I have, in spite of some serious mechanical complications.

Last edited:
You know what? That's fair. You're right. I could have handled it better.

But when I see people telling someone with a serious injury to basically do it ONE way or "find another hobby" it's pretty disturbing.

Especially since I've received that advice in my life. Horrible doctors would tell me to cut out all lifting, and then people like the aforementioned posters would tell me that if I couldn't lift one specific way, that it was a waste of time. If I'd have followed their, I would have never been able to make the immense progress that I have, in spite of some serious mechanical complications.

I'm in the same boat. I quit lifting the big 3 because I was injuring myself. I had to find another way to work out.

Back