It's been 6 years since I severely herniated my L4/L5 disc.

WARinsertname

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
After that it was always 1 step foreward and two steps back in my lifts. I'd get injured, stop, restart...Rinse and repeat.

After shoulder injuries, knee injuries, elbow injuries...I finally entered the 1000lbs club.

At 225 pounds I got these numbers:
Squat-385
Benchpress-260(should be higher but my right rotator cuff and elbow give me problems.:mad:)
Deadlift-365
And my overhead press, which I know doesn't count, is 205 (strict form, no cheating or pushing off with the legs.)

After all the work, and hardship of being let down time and time again by my body...I finally hit one of my life goals. I just wanted to share with people like you guys, who I know will understand the feeling of hitting a goal that was almost impossible to hit.

My next goal is to be able to get those numbers into the 1500lbs mark. Did this with a crappy leather belt they had at the gym for beltless guys like me.lol

I ordered a 4inch 10mm lever belt and some good knee sleeves and wraps. My trainer said it would be best for me because of my fear of breaking my back again.

I want to get my squat and dead into the 500's. If I can get my bench over 300 I'd feel pretty stoked. :icon_lol:

If I ever hit those goals, I will post a video so you guys can shit on my form.:icon_lol:

So happy right now!

How did you hurt your back 6 years ago?

Work related incident. I basically had to move something very heavy, in an awkward bent position that left me with a bad snap in my lower back and little to no feeling in my legs for 5 months. Well there was feeling, but mostly cold, my legs constantly felt like they were in cold water. Nerve damage I guess is what caused it.:icon_neut

awesome, good job man. I herniated a disc awhile ago but made a full recovery too.

Herniated my l4/l5 about 4 years ago. Got surgery 2 years ago. Still some pain but I am functional in MMA/BJJ and feels way better than when it happened.

it was always 1 step foreward and two steps back in my lifts. I'd get injured, stop, restart...Rinse and repeat.

After shoulder injuries, knee injuries, elbow injuries...

Story of my training life.

Congrats.

I had the exact same thing happen about 4 years ago.

Recently my back got a lot worse and after MRI's I found that I had another herniated disc and advanced arthritis of the spine. No fun.

If your back acts up, you may want to find ways to train around it. I know some militants on this board will call you a pansy for not doing "the big 3" but the fact is that significant amounts of compression and impact are not good for someone with a compromised spine. Any qualified sports doctor who would usually advocate deads/squats will tell you the same.

Injuries like this are WHY things like machines and bands were created. Not to be used as the fulcrum of your training, but in your case valuable tools.

I personally focus on lifts that still allow for maximal lifting capacity and maximal velocity while focusing on the lowering spinal compression and joint impact. So a lot of unilateral work, heavy pulling and use of heavy bands as opposed to weights in OHP etc.
Has worked wonders for strength and is nowhere near as irritating to my spine.

No offense stevencrowder... But you can't seriously be suggesting that you're gonna build any real meaningful strength without doing serious compound lifts?

Sorry about your injuries but reality is reality.

Machines are mostly ineffective at building true strength or size. So if you can't do heavy compounds you may want to find another hobby besides strength training or body building.

No offense stevencrowder... But you can't seriously be suggesting that you're gonna build any real meaningful strength without doing serious compound lifts?

Machines are mostly ineffective at building true strength or size. So if you can't do heavy compounds you may want to find another hobby besides strength training or body building.

Are single leg squats, bulgarian split squats, weighted pull ups, band OHP, rows etc not serious compound lifts? Or are they just not "the big 3"?

Because I did nothing but those for 3 years and when I went back to the gym I was able to pull 3 plates for easy reps and good morning 405X5. Didn't squat as I don't have the spinal flexibility to even execute the movement now. If you rustle up my old training log on here, the numbers are pretty comparable to what I was doing back when I lifted heavily, if not a little better on the GM. I'm sure with a few weeks of CNS adaptation, my numbers would've been a lot higher seeing as I was out if the groove technique wise.

Of course, my back paid for it and I realized that it was silly for me to do those movements given my condition. But it did prove that I could maintain and even gain big strength without barbell training.

Barbells are ideal for healthy individuals, not for those with compromised spines.

Then again, I'm going on the word of the worlds best sport doctors, and extensive personal experience in the rehabilitation field, not the advice of message board posters, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

I can think of numerous lifters who absolutely destroyed their backs and then came back to put up huge numbers in the big three.

I can't think of a single lifter who achieved real strength or size without squatting or dead lifting heavy.

Got some names?

Plenty of gymnasts are exceptionally strong without ever touching a barbell. But I suppose that's not "true strength" via them not having acheived through a PL'ing regimen.

edit: congrats ts, great work. As someone who has delt with chronic nerve issues, I understand how difficult rehabing can be, let alone return to heavy barbell training. Good luck on reaching your goals.

I can think of numerous lifters who absolutely destroyed their backs and then came back to put up huge numbers in the big three.

I can't think of a single lifter who achieved real strength or size without squatting or dead lifting heavy.

Got some names?

Do you keep a training log?

What is your weight/height and your numbers in the main lifts?

Got some names?

Do you? I'd be very curious to find these numerous lifters who severely injured their spines and continued regularly putting up PR's without any chemical enhancement.

From my end; Ross Enemait. Mike Mahler. John Hinds. My dad is actually ranked 4th in the world in BJJ at Blue heavyweight in the IBJJF. Should be noted that this is in the over 45 division... But he's 54. And a severely undersized heavyweight with only 2.5yrs BJJ training.
This is after a torn groin from the bone btw. He's been using my maximal loading, minimal spinal compression protocol since and has improved his strength, conditioning and bodycomp.

Of course, most Russian Olympic weightlifters focused on unilateral work and very rarely if ever did heavy squats or deadlifts save for their portion of the movement in the required technical learning of Olympic lifts.

Then there's myself. Before my injury I had a 1115 total. I was a softer 212lbs.
Today I'm a much leaner 220 and stronger in every barometer that I have available to use. So it's worked out pretty well.

That's about all I've got.

That didn't take very long.

I know some militants on this board will call you a pansy for not doing "the big 3" but the fact is that significant amounts of compression and impact are not good for someone with a compromised spine.

The very next post...

Strength is strength man, the body doesn't care about the source of the external resistance either. Some exercises are more effective and efficient at building strength and contributing to growth, but they're not always applicable to all people. Most people, but not all.

And saying that if you can't do the Big Three then you should quit altogether despite there being viable (if not less efficient) alternatives is a cop-out.

"If you can't do everything awesome you should do nothing at all!!"

Typical Sherdog thread, derailed within the first few posts by an argument about powerlifting.

I just hurt my back again deadlifting and am contemplating not deadlifting again. Not being able to put your socks and shoes on without pain isn't worth it for a recreational lifter. I'm pretty sure that even if I don't deadlift, I can still get stronger.

/rivetingtalechap

I just hurt my back again deadlifting and am contemplating not deadlifting again. Not being able to put your socks and shoes on without pain isn't worth it for a recreational lifter. I'm pretty sure that even if I don't deadlift, I can still get stronger.

/rivetingtalechap

Ever try sumo? After wrecking my back a few times conventional, i made the switch and have felt better. That and not doing such a low position on low bars.

/rivetingtalechap

That's a healthy outlook. In the meantime, I highly reccomend hanging from a pull-up bar followed by high rep band good mornings (Iron woody or EliteFTS closed loopers). The decompression followed by fresh blood to the area tends to help alleviate a significant amount of pain.

I was around here during the glory days of this board. Carnal, Lusst etc. There's a reason that longevity isn't a common quality found input S&P posters.

Ever try sumo? After wrecking my back a few times conventional, i made the switch and have felt better. That and not doing such a low position on low bars.

Do you mean "Have never felt better"?

Oblivian, I agree with Toonie that trying sumo could be worthwhile. You've also been doing some olympic lifting - you could definitely get all the pulling work you could want out of the olympic lifts and their variants and assistance. Finally, I know my back feels healthier when I do some lighter volume work for it, to build work capacity.

Back