Itching abdomen while running HELP!!!

theTKDman

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive only recently started running and I find that my belly and upper thighs itch uncontrollably. It gets to the point where I have to stop and itch like crazy. Its much worse than any itching Ive ever had to deal with before in my life, including mosquito bites and chicken pocks. Anybody know what the hell this could be? Serious responses only please.

Interesting. I've actually experienced a very similar reaction to running, except it hits my love handles. Intense itching after running for a bit.

As cheesy as it sounds, I've chalked it up to my "burning" fat as I run. I tell myself this mentally, and it actually helps me to the point where I welcome it. I notice that I only get this feeling in places where I have some extra "cushioning" so my reasoning might not be far off.

Probably your clothing rubbing against you causing chaffing.

Pretty common issue. During extended runs (i.e. marathons) the chaffing is so bad it can cause the area to bleed. Nipples are especially vulnerable which is why many marathoners will put band-aids or patches over there nipples for added protection.

Think its something to do with heat in general, kinda like how when you go outside in the cold for a while, your hands get cold, and when you go back inside and they warm up they itch like hell, so it could be the heat gnenerated by running.

Hmm....might want to try a Benadryl and see if that helps. If it does....then maybe see the doc about a hystimean (no idea how to spell it) blocker that won't make you drowsy or anything like that.

I know its not chaffing. Heat sounds like the reason. It was very cold out when I started running. Ill welcome it as fat "burning" lol. If I can bare it. Thanks guys.

You might be allergic to fabric softener or the detergent you're using on your clothes. My wife has the same problem. She can't use any kind of scented detergent or she breaks out and starts itching. Try washing your shorts/pants/whatever by themselves without detergent (water only) and then go for a jog. If you don't start itching, you found your problem.

If detergent/fabric softener isn't the culprit, then I don't know what to tell you. Try Benadryl.

It's not a topical skin thing (at least that's not what I experience). It feels like the itching comes from below the skin, in the fat pad. Chafing and/or skin irritation don't seem to be the causes.

I really think it's a matter of heat i.e. "burning" of the fat.

deadlyshaolin said:
It's not a topical skin thing (at least that's not what I experience). It feels like the itching comes from below the skin, in the fat pad. Chafing and/or skin irritation don't seem to be the causes.

I really think it's a matter of heat i.e. "burning" of the fat.

Well then, read you sig and keep running.....it's working :icon_lol:

I sometimes get this, too. It almost seems like right before I start to sweat so it may be like the sweat trying to get out but the pores haven't opened or something. I dunno. It's weird.

Now, I can relate. I used to be the most unatheltic boy in middle school and hated to run those miles for P.E. Since then, running has become a permanent passion in my life (i.e. midnight runs, marathons, ultra-marathons).

The dilemma that I was going through, in regards of itching, came either from my fat actually tugging itself away from my muscle mass or my then-allergic reaction to pollen. As I ran, I discovered that this sensation will only dissipate through time.

BearTrap said:
Now, I can relate. I used to be the most unatheltic boy in middle school and hated to run those miles for P.E. Since then, running has become a permanent passion in my life (i.e. midnight runs, marathons, ultra-marathons).

The dilemma that I was going through, in regards of itching, came either from my fat actually tugging itself away from my muscle mass or my then-allergic reaction to pollen. As I ran, I discovered that this sensation will only dissipate through time.

It's nuts how people cope with their past. Shit, I have always been fat and now I'm dedicated to getting fit. I want to be in the best shape I can whereas before, it didn't mean a single thing to me.

Does it sting? I used to get a stinging itchy feeling on my back and chest when I run. It's horrible.

Does it only occur when you run, or does it happen during other forms of cardio?

I have the same problem, only happens when running though. Grappling or standup is fine. I've noticed it seem to go away the more you run, but it makes it really hard in the beginning. Actually it might sound lame but it's one of the reasons why I don't run much.

My theory is that the itching is caused by the blood flowing faster. So maybe try warming up a little (maybe squats, burpees ?) before running.

Some interesting links:
http://dermatology.about.com/cs/hives/a/exana.htm
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1906.html

Actually if you search "itching exercise" online you'll get a boat load of sites that address this problem. It appears to be pretty common.

I usually get that itching / burning feeling in my love handles at about 20 minutes into a jog. It seems like it's usually in cold weather.
To me it feels like it's under the skin in the tissue.

My personal guess is that it's a body tempature regulation thing. It feels like the area (my love handles) are getting cold to the point of stinging.

I also sometimes get an itch, more than the burning sensation above. That feels more like the surface of the skin, and I think that's an allergic reaction to detergent or whatever that was sweated from my clothing onto the surface of my skin.
H2O will activate some chemicals.

Also, sweat itself could be causing the itching. When sweat runs in your eyes it stings like crazy right? Extremely dry skin could be aggrevated by the sweat itself.

Just some random thoughts on the issue.

Girljock said:
Hmm....might want to try a Benadryl and see if that helps. If it does....then maybe see the doc about a hystimean (no idea how to spell it) blocker that won't make you drowsy or anything like that.

You have the right idea, it's just spelled a little differently -- "histamine."

Certainly the articles that Bubble Boy referenced talk about a histaminic reaction (e.g. anaphylaxis, urticaria).

I find it so interesting that such a random problem is shared by so many of us. Welcome to the Itchy Love Handles Club.

This is pretty interesting. TKD, have you found out if it was your detergent or anything? My inner thighs used to chaff when I ran, but since all the hair has been rubbed off, have not had any problems since. Never an itch though, sounds freaky.

As posted previously, it's very common for people to have a reaction to detergent when they're sweating a lot. My first guess, based on what you've said, is that the detergent is your problem.

Back