It shows Gunnar Is still in it to win it.

It hadnt anything to do with the finish.

Gunnar got dropped like a sac of potatos by Rick Story.

I like the guy but he is just not that good.
He's not the greatest but he's not bad either. Prime Hendricks lost to Story as well. Tumenov was a huge hypetrain and not only got subbed by Gunnar but outstruck as well. He's had some impressive performances and aside from the Maia fight he hasn't really been dominated. Burns was probably the second most dominant against him and neither of those are really bad losses. Gunnar at 155 or if a 165lb division was created would be interesting.

When Gunnar lost to Burns, it looked like Gunnar just might not have it like a lot of people thought.

I love Gunnar, and he's been losing a lot more than I thought, but if you think about it, he's been losing to pretty good competitions.

Like Burns.

War Gunnar.

True, split decision loss against Leon Edwards, where he dominated the last round IIRC, and decision loss to Burns. No shame in those losses.

People in this thread thinking he got hyped cuz of Conor are dumb as fuck or have no memory. Tell me, what exactly about training with Conor was supposed to make people think Gunnar would get better, when clearly the narrative was Conor was training with Gunnar to be better at grappling.

Gunnar had a lot of praise coming into the UFC, well before Conor was a blip, and for good reason. He was a breakout player in grappling in 2009, winning gold in the middleweight divisions at the Pan-Ams in gi & nogi. The same year, Jeff Monson got bronze at ADCC for 99kg+ under Roberto Abreu and Werdum, but he lost in the first round to Gunnar in open weight, who was 170-194 lbs. Gunnar ended up 4th, behind Magalhaes, Xande, and Estima, some of the best no-gi BJJ artists ever.

*reminder who Jeff Monson is*
s8HoMrE.png

HSXyfoS.png

And yet Gunnar..
Nelson-vs-Monson.jpg

He brought an undefeated record of 9-0-1 with 9 finishes (8 first round) into the UFC and fought with an deep karate background & style despite his grappling experience. People expected big things. He wasn't suddenly going to be "more karate" with Conor around. Trust me, he got zero shine from the Irishman.

I get that Conor has raised the bar of what it means to get attention, but when he is the human/mma-equivalent to Fortnite, it makes people forget that people actually used to get excited about when the next Splinter Cell was coming out. You know MMA used to exist, right? Like beforehand?

gunnars biggest issue is that he abandons his karate and just fights scared. With his jits and his karate he should have been like a way more aggressive machida, instead hes more like a frozen woodley in most of his fights.

Solid gatekeeper. Always like to see him fight.

Exactly. Very well put. Not that he's not good or talented, but it's not like he takes it seriously. I think he likes to compete and to test himself more than to win.
It’s just his stoic nature. He trains hard. I love his style. I like the slow fighters for some reason

I don't know. Leon Edwards dominated him. He could stay at 170 for abit.

Back