It shows Gunnar Is still in it to win it.

Haters don't care, they claim it had nothing to do with him getting finished. Only time he's been finished and he got eye poked 4x... Yeah I'm sure it had nothing to do with it lol
It hadnt anything to do with the finish.

Gunnar got dropped like a sac of potatos by Rick Story.

I like the guy but he is just not that good.

I’ve never been under the impression that going down in weight really helps that much. Can give you a sign advantage sure, but we’ve seen a lot of guys lose when dropping a class.

Lightweighs gonna smoke him. It's far more competitive division and any strength advantage he may gain is gonna be erased by him fighting much better guys. And when I say much better I mean it.

Even your average non ranked lightweight is gonna make Gunny fight for his life. Don't be fooled, going down 15lbs is not the answer.

If Gunnar wasn't Conor's training partner, he wouldn't be overhyped.

Gunner comes across more as a hobbyist and not someone who fights for a job.

I think of him more as a martial artist--someone who loves martial arts and the structure it brings to his life, but not necessarily the competition side of things. That's just the vibe I get from him, though.

Last edited:

Not that good?
Santiago, Akhmedov, Cummings, Thatch, Jouban, Tumenov and Oliviera are all good wins, especially considering he finished all of them but Santiago.

Of course hes still in it to win it ( as long as you're not referring to title- I mean , he's a fighter so he should have mentality but.. ok - let's do this agsin....not everyone becomes champ ( just like any other sport- team or single)....not everyone becomes top 5.....not everyone becomes top 10 or even 15. Some evolve ( yawn)- some a great deal....some dont .....some remain complacent and are ok with it as long as they're content with pay. some are fillers but ufc calibur, consume shit pay and are still ok with.....and some are not. )

I can continue rant but wont. I respect gunnie but dont see him entering top 5 but maybe in and out of top 10.....top 15 or maybe outside that.

If Gunnar wasn't Conor's training partner, he wouldn't be overhyped.

He came to the UFC undefeated, picked up four straight wins in the UFC, and he has a slightly different style than your typical MMA fighter. He would have had hype either way, but of course he benefited from Conor's hype.

tumblr_ot7ebh4DxC1rofocqo3_500.gif

Most overrated 170’er in history

Say what you want about Gunni, that's fair. But, Ponzi had hella fingers in that eye poke before the KO. Pretty obvious on the replay.

Not that good?
Santiago, Akhmedov, Cummings, Thatch, Jouban, Tumenov and Oliviera are all good wins, especially considering he finished all of them but Santiago.
Well.. Not that good as some of us thought he would be.

He is a solid top 7-15 guy. Which is really good but he is not serious threat to the top dogs.

But I was super hyped back then when he was undefeated. I saw him as the next big thing and then he fought Story.

I wonder how he would do at 155.

Him being dropped by rick story doesn't mean he would have been rocked without the 10+ eye pokes. How can you reasonably claim that eyepokes don't affect your vision?

He just doesn't have a winning style. Lacks the power on the feet to really be a force, and he isn't at the level of a Wonderboy to make that karate style work. The hands down, chin up thing is just a defensive liability. Then his ground game is obviously great, but not so great as to make him impossible to survive on the ground against and he isn't physically imposing or persistent enough to make the Maia gameplan work. He's also not big for the weight class and doesn't have the endurance or tenacity of some of the smaller guys who use those attributes to make up for their lack of size. Add in the fact that he's fairly passive for large stretches at a time and you've got a very beatable fighter.

Back