It seems my Numbers are way off...ARE THEY?

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE

Green Belt
Reaction score
well ive been using a variation of carnals basic program along with some other assistant work

my problem is in my bench press, it really sucks and im not sure why

my form has been looked at by a few different folks, but nothing major wrong, im doing dips with added weight with no problems, but when it comes to getting under the bar and pressing i suck

i must add...i had shoulder problems a few years back, but this hasnt affected any other excersies ive been doing, so i dont think this is the problem, but im really not sure

right now it seems im stuck at pressing 140 x6-8 times for 4 sets, this number hasnt gotten better in 3 weeks, unlike the rest of my lifts

yesterday i had my best sqaut day...285 lbs x3...did my working set 4setsx5reps @195,225 2 of each

my deadlift has also progressed at a decent pace....ive pulled as much as 265 lbs for a single and im doin a working set of 4x5 with 180 lbs

but like i said before...MY BENCH STINKS

is there anything i could be doing to help improve? or will it slowly come together? its frustrating to say the least

thanks in advance guys

First, just for you to know, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to put your priorities in order.

All your numbers suck equally. You are weak all around. There is no special problem with your bench, it SHOULD be lower than your squat/deadlift.

BUT, If you haven't seen any progress on your bench for 3 weeks, that should tell you to shake things up a bit. If you lift low rep, try high rep, if you lift high rep, try low rep. If you use wide grip, try close grip etc...Switching to DB's or incline for a couple of weeks might help you too.

Keep lifting.

I tried using Cmart's bench press routine (its in the stickies) and found it helped me up my bench press from a pretty pathetic stagnation point. I t might also help if you worked on your sticking point, doing press off pins at my sticking point helped me gain as well.

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
well ive been using a variation of carnals basic program along with some other assistant work
my problem is in my bench press, it really sucks and im not sure why
my form has been looked at by a few different folks, but nothing major wrong, im doing dips with added weight with no problems, but when it comes to getting under the bar and pressing i suck
i must add...i had shoulder problems a few years back, but this hasnt affected any other excersies ive been doing, so i dont think this is the problem, but im really not sure

CBW, have you tried to find out where your stuck point is? The bench press uses more than just one muscle group at different places. One of my training partners also had shoulder problems in the past and he always lagged way behind on bench but could match me on most other lifts. When he lifted he'd get stuck about 4 inches over his chest, but when you took the weight and helped him past it he'd handle it at the top. So we had him try dumbbell bench with 25 pounders till we could isolate where he was fealing weak. For him it turned out to be front deltoids, so we added incline presses to our workout and he shot up 40 pounds in 3 weeks (I'm dead serious on that number, amazed us all). He's not a monster yet by any means, but he's now 20 pounds behind on sets instead of 45.

The other idea is to alternate you flat bench with dumbbell bench as it may be your stabalizers...

We're just finishing a "Raide your bench" program which was in muscle and fitness a couple of months ago. Monday: do barbell bench, DB inclines and weighted dips. Thursday: DB bench, DB inclined and weighted dips. Start with 6 reps, drop 1 rep every 2 weeks, and add a set of negatives on every other monday. Tuesday, Friday, Saturday you can work other body parts or do cardio, etc. Wed/Sun rest... I'm not sure on the program yet, it's fairly hard and I probably chose my off-day lifts poorly but how do you learn till you try?

Good luck!

Noskill said:
First, just for you to know, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to put your priorities in order.

All your numbers suck equally. You are weak all around. There is no special problem with your bench, it SHOULD be lower than your squat/deadlift.

BUT, If you haven't seen any progress on your bench for 3 weeks, that should tell you to shake things up a bit. If you lift low rep, try high rep, if you lift high rep, try low rep. If you use wide grip, try close grip etc...Switching to DB's or incline for a couple of weeks might help you too.

Keep lifting.

by telling me my numbers suck...that would be considered rude...especially when you didnt even ask one question about me

i only recently started training about 5 weeks ago....and i weigh 155 lbs....how much weight am i supposed to be lifting? i think im doing ok considering

and like i previously said ive had major shoulder problems in past years, so im sure this isnt helping either....but im far from ashamed with my numbers...

i also train by myself, which dosent help for pushing myself....no spotter is never a good thing

i just want some pointers or different excersises i could do to help assist my bench

id like to say thanks but you really only put me down...never really helped much

SmashiusClay said:
I tried using Cmart's bench press routine (its in the stickies) and found it helped me up my bench press from a pretty pathetic stagnation point. I t might also help if you worked on your sticking point, doing press off pins at my sticking point helped me gain as well.

well thats kinda what ive been using....but i havent moved too far past the 140 mark

im not sure what i would consideer my sticking point....it seems its in my wrists of all places and ofcourse i feel it in my bad shoulder

thanks for the pointer...im gonna go back and read cmarts thread again

datadog said:
CBW, have you tried to find out where your stuck point is? The bench press uses more than just one muscle group at different places. One of my training partners also had shoulder problems in the past and he always lagged way behind on bench but could match me on most other lifts. When he lifted he'd get stuck about 4 inches over his chest, but when you took the weight and helped him past it he'd handle it at the top. So we had him try dumbbell bench with 25 pounders till we could isolate where he was fealing weak. For him it turned out to be front deltoids, so we added incline presses to our workout and he shot up 40 pounds in 3 weeks (I'm dead serious on that number, amazed us all). He's not a monster yet by any means, but he's now 20 pounds behind on sets instead of 45.

The other idea is to alternate you flat bench with dumbbell bench as it may be your stabalizers...

We're just finishing a "Raide your bench" program which was in muscle and fitness a couple of months ago. Monday: do barbell bench, DB inclines and weighted dips. Thursday: DB bench, DB inclined and weighted dips. Start with 6 reps, drop 1 rep every 2 weeks, and add a set of negatives on every other monday. Tuesday, Friday, Saturday you can work other body parts or do cardio, etc. Wed/Sun rest... I'm not sure on the program yet, it's fairly hard and I probably chose my off-day lifts poorly but how do you learn till you try?

Good luck!

im gonna add this to my favs and use your advice...thanks alot

i find i have similiar problems....i will start switching up my bench with DB AND BB instead of just BB

man now i feel like crap...i really didnt think my numbers were that bad in my other lifts

from what ive been reading on this site i figured i was around the average or maybe a little below which would be normal for just starting to lift...i never thought i was weak for my size

way to bust a guys bubble man

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
man now i feel like crap...i really didnt think my numbers were that bad in my other lifts

from what ive been reading on this site i figured i was around the average or maybe a little below which would be normal for just starting to lift...i never thought i was weak for my size

way to bust a guys bubble man

First, how big are you? All lifts have to be relevant, 140 bench isn't bad for a 100 pounder whereas those of us who weigh double that should probably put up a bit more.

Your bench may seem a bit low, but the only way to get a high bench is to train bench. These people who claim to never bench but can toss 300 are either lying or they are neglecting to tell about the bench-like activities that they do... I've known some pretty strong folks, and none of them started with a big bench. They had to earn every pound, just like you will with time and persistence. I thought your Squat and DL were pretty decent (which has nothing to do with both of my knees being injured, lol).

Noskill, really no need to say that someones numbers suck. I could see if he came on here boasting about his numbers, but he was simply asking for help, so cut the shit.

CBW, when I plateau in BP I will switch it out for Heavy RAck presses for a couple weeks or add in a couple heavy sets of them after bench for a couple. It has usually worked for me so I would suggest giving them a shot for a couple weeks. If anything, you will realize you don't like them and know not to use them in the future, or they could be exactly what you are looking for. GL man and keep lifting.

How tall are you? Maybe gaining a little weight might do the trick. And of course mix it up. If you cant add at least 5 pounds to your working sets every week at that early stage of training - time to change. Do incline, dumbell or even overhead press instead of bb-bench or change your repscheme.
And i forgot:
Train your lats!

Graedy, first off, good to hear from you man. Hope you are feeling better....?...?
Secondly, great add on about training your lats. They are crucial in a bigger bench. And yes, that early in the game you should consistently be adding weight so listen to everybodies advice and give it a switch for a while. Let us know what you choose to do.

guys i cant thank you all enough for your responses

so ive taken from this so far

1. swicth things up a bit and use variations of press, ie: overhead/db and so on

2. train my lats....with just the normal pullups/downs and rows?

my size is 5-9...155 llbs roughly if this matters ....ive been reading these boards for a while now....and i reallt didnt think my numbers were that bad, i thought they were on par with most other new lifters my size

once again thanks for all the info guys

Dude when you stop worrying about -how- good or bad your lifts are you will be a happier and better lifter. Just focus on becoming better, stronger, meaner all the time.

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
i only recently started training about 5 weeks ago....and i weigh 155 lbs....how much weight am i supposed to be lifting? i think im doing ok considering

It sounds like you guessed your strength in Benchpress better than your other lifts when you started training. If you have only been lifting for 5 weeks you will make gains rapidly and then slow waaaay down. Don't freak out about it.

ya i guess this is alot to do about nothing

im sure my bench press will come along eventually

but when you say i guessed my strength in bench press , what does this mean? sorry for my iggnorance , im new

thanks for any and all replies guys....even the guy who said i was weak...your just gonna make me work harder...thanks alot

rickdog said:
Noskill, really no need to say that someones numbers suck. I could see if he came on here boasting about his numbers, but he was simply asking for help, so cut the shit.

Get the fuck off my back. The guy came in here asking for 2 things:
-If his numbers were way off.
- how could he get the bench going up.

I read the post, saw the numbers, thought to myself that PROPORTIONALLY (ratio of bench/dead/squat) the numbers were allright. But they are low. THE PROPORTION IS FINE, BUT THE TOTAL IS LOW. Which is what always happens for a new lifter, you don't start being strong, you end up being strong. Being weak is no reason to stop, it's further reason to continue.

CBW: My remark was a way of answering your first question, about whether your bench numbers are way off. They're not. In order to say so I could have all your lifts are fantastic or all your lifts are weak. I chose the second option. It was rude. I apologize.

I think there are some things to consider here.

1) You've only been training for 5 weeks. Keep lifting and EATING.
2) Being stuck for 3 weeks isn't exactly a plateau. Give it a few more weeks.
3) Your numbers aren't all that far off each other. In all honesty, looking at them, I doubt that you're truly squatting to parallel. Squatting for 285x3 but only deadlifting 180 for 5 seems a bit out a whack.

It's possible that your lower body is a lot stronger than your upper body (like a lot of soccer players for instance).

Just give it time. Keep lifting. Keep eating. Look more to progress over time (think six months or so) rather than benching bigger numbers every week.

well thats very possible

ive been a hockey player since i was 4 years old...so my legs have always been strong

and i find the reason my deadlift is lacking behind my sqaut is due to my grip and my shoulder, pulling weight is usually difficult , ive been working my grip like crazy in hopes it will help, this is why i work with 180 x5 , because i try and make sure i keep very good form

as for my squat i lower myself as fair as i can , while being careful ofcourse and trying to keep as good form as possible, ive had a couple people critigue my form and correct my mistakes, so i think its decent, but really, what do i know? hahaha

guys thanks for all your responses

noskill...no big deal man...you were honest and gave me your opinion, i respect that

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
and i find the reason my deadlift is lacking behind my sqaut is due to my grip... ive been working my grip like crazy in hopes it will help, this is why i work with 180 x5 , because i try and make sure i keep very good form

You might want to try using straps when deadlifting. I've got the same grip issues (more pulling ability than grip). I went from 225 for high reps to 405X3 in just a few weeks once I started using straps (I didn't get that much stronger just wasn't grip limited in my deadlifting anymore).

You'll still want to work on your grip but you'll be able to get a lot more out of your deadlifting that way if you start using straps.

im gonna go get me some straps....i never even thought about them....newbie shines again

it cant hurt and will only help me keep the bar in my hands

something so obivious that i never even considered...thanks alot

Back