Issues where you're of two minds

Death Penalty: I think people who hurt innocents should get what's coming to them, and anybody that murdered a family member of mine would not live long... I just don't want the government doing it.

This really bothers me. Abortion should be a last resort option, that nobody is happy about having to use. I'd be sobbing if I was with a girl and she had to have one for whatever reason. Ending a life is a big deal, and it shouldn't be used like a form of contraception.

Yeah, my friend...she was emotionally fucked and drained before, during and after this..

No one is really "pro abortion". It's a terrible decision to have to make.

Yeah, my friend...she was emotionally fucked and drained before, during and after this..

No one is really "pro abortion". It's a terrible decision to have to make.
Yeah I think conservatives have this idea that libs think abortion is just awesome. Not really, contraceptives and the morning after pill are awesome. Killing an innocent unborn child is just awful and depressing

Federalism. I think we've strayed pretty far from what the founding fathers envisioned as a structure for our country, and several of our bitterest fights are because parts of our constitution don't make much sense in light of that.

On the other hand, a number of states have pretty conclusively shown that they're even less trustworthy than the feds at safeguarding rights and protecting people, and I frankly think a large federal government is necessary for certain modern problems that didn't then exist.

I have problems with this one too. To me ideally we'd have a small federal government with robust state governments. But too many states are doing a crap job, so I find myself advocating the feds doing things I don't think they should be having to do.

Conservatism - i love having more say in my earnings and the notion that i get to keep more of what i earn / i am not responsible for have nots. On the other hand, its getting harder to be on the same "team" as people who identify as right strictly on religious factors.

Yeah I think conservatives have this idea that libs think abortion is just awesome. Not really, contraceptives and the morning after pill are awesome. Killing an innocent unborn child is just awful and depressing

This is why the abortion debate is so frustration...both sides are just incredibly dishonest and misrepresent the other's opinion.

No one, I mean no one is pro fucking abortion...

pro-abortion, pro death penalty
pro gun ownership, pro gun control
pro humanitarian, pro immigrant restrictions
pro privacy, pro govt access to domestic terror cells via whatever.

it's complicated.

How was it?
Fantastic. They worked for the nature conservancy and other groups. Mostly, their main goal was to preserve old growth forest, but an initial stance would be taken about forest generally to have negotiating room. But it basically wound up "sure, take these 50 year old red oak stands, just leave the 300 year white oaks alone." Which pretty much worked out ok.

white privilege, i tell you, even the trees have it.

you dont want to know what we did to the black oaks

Too many things. I have conservative intuitions and liberal principles so I'm fucked when it comes to taking policy positions.

Take guns, for example. The reasonable (and Canadian) side of me thinks that a secure society without guns is superior to a secure one with them, and that if guns were to catch on here it would start a feedback loop until everyone was more armed then they even wanted to be, and also more uncomfortable.

On the other hand when I think about my gf in our house alone at night.. just a pistol would make me feel monumentally more relaxed about her safety. That feeling is only going to skyrocket when we have kids. I also feel the pull of the rhetoric of "rights" around having the ability to kill another who mortality threatens you, or to scare them off when they significantly trespass on your property.

I actually feel pretty straightforward about abortion, but I started wishy-washy on that one too.

Other examples are "sophisticated" feminism and religion. On the one hand I think that both tend to be full of empty, rationalist verbiage that seems comforting when exchanged between in-group members but doesn't actually have any useful import into the given natural or political world. That said, I'm open to the experiences of others being significantly different from my own, and I like the idea of alternative, even transcendent narratives that deviate from that of the state or capitalist economic system, and feel the triumph of using intellectual language and jargon to undermine those powers. I also cringe when the simplest forms of each get criticized in ways that don't give the more advanced forms due respect.

Another - scientific cosmogony. Can we write a myth of humanity based in science that preserves the inherent value of human beings and provides us with a satisfying idea of ourselves in a terrifyingly empty cosmos? I'm not sure what role scientific truths have to play in that.

Too many to mention. Basically, the ones I don't talk about much here, including foreign policy (like I said to Dochter--boots on the ground, airstrikes, don't get involved, arm one side--whatever you do, there's blood on your hands, and you don't know if it's the best option until much later). I'm pretty much pro-gun, but I don't really care and don't get why some people see it as such a big issue. I think highly of the impact that religion can have on people's lives, but I'm not a believer myself.

However, the way the government can tell a woman what she can and can't do is quite disgusting as well...
You think a government shouldn't be able to tell a woman not to apply a running chainsaw on you and those dear to you? That to do so is "quite disgusting"?

For social media because it brings people together.
Against social media because the environment it brings people together in is ultimately artificial and yet so many people spend more time on their boring useless profiles than real life. I do like discussion forums though because discussion is interesting. Where youre going today, where you were
yesterday and your latest mentally masturbatory selfie are not interesting at all, not even slightly (imo of course). Specifically referring to the egocentric farce that is facebook here.

Secondly,

Im for and against portable communication devices because I can be contacted almost anytime, almost anywhere.

I like tandori chicken but I don't like towelheads.
How can you not like Sikh's, Man... They are among my favorite people ever. I've never met one I didn't like. But yeah, I like Tandori chicken as well.

cuz....Isis.
Sikh's are completely different. No one hates Muslim's more than them... They are among the kindest people you could ever meet. I have a great respect for them. It's unfortunate that they get mistaken for what they get mistaken for.

I'm of two minds on death penalty in the sense that there are absolutely crimes which merit it but am aware that when governments have a written right to kill people, they inevitably misuse it and end up murdering people.

Pussy.

So costly yet feels so gud. A drug worse then any and more addicting. And more damaging then all combined.

Pussy.

So costly yet feels so gud. A drug worse then any and more addicting. And more damaging then all combined.
You should be thankful you get so little of it then, Bud...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back