Media Israel Adesanya says he was supposed to headline UFC 300 against Du Plessis, but Dricus didn’t want it

Do you believe Izzy?

• Total voters
Izzy is an idiot. WTF should DDP take this fight on short notice? He'd have been dumb to do so just because the UFC is so thin nowadays that they can't find stars to headline that card. That's their problem. His health comes first.

You feel this across the board, or just when it's Dricus?
Yes...? I've said all along champs should be more active and it's ridiculous when they aren't if there's no actual reason they can't fight besides simply not wanting to. Plenty of other people are happy to be champion instead if that's the case.

DDP fans are the ones coming out saying he's injured and can't fight. DDP said actually he just wants to wait for a card that's not even scheduled and may never be so won't risk fighting at UFC 300.
So set a precedent for one specific champ that has literally never applied to any other champ...... Sounds about right up the alley of this D-level organization in A-level clothing.

Literally has barely been champ a month and you're calling for him to be stripped of the title. He doesn't need a legitimate reason. He just fought a month ago and took a bunch of damage.

Fucking wild, dude. You sure you're a MMA fan?
I'm all for pushing fighters to be active and I agree that things should be done on the UFC's terms (place, timeline, etc.). If it is simply a case of DDP saying 'I want Africa', then hell no...

Having said that, stripping a champ for not fighting less than four months out from a five-round fight in which they clearly did not emerge unscathed seems rather harsh. If DDP has walked through Strickland in a round or two, the argument would be much stronger that he could be *expected* to step up and headline 300. I don't think it needs to go as far as a 'legit medical reason'...he should just be given the opportunity to be fully healthy and have a full camp.

Also in DDP's defense, the *many* other circumstances fucking up scheduling are not his problem...there are *numerous* solutions involving fighters who have been have not competed since 2023, never mind whatever games the UFC and Conor and playing.
It's UFC 300, not an Apex Fight Night on a Tuesday. The organization comes to you saying "we need a main event for our biggest card in years, are you able to fight?"

And if your response is "yes, but I want UFC Africa which isn't even a thing so won't take UFC 300 and risk that"

Then yeah, strip that champion's ass and create a new vacant title for people who will.

It's a two way street between the promotion and the champion, the champ doesn't get to call all the shots. They need champion fights for their PPVs. If you reasonably can then you should be doing so or don't be surprised if they replace you with someone who will.

Yes...? I've said all along champs should be more active and it's ridiculous when they aren't if there's no actual reason they can't fight besides simply not wanting to. Plenty of other people are happy to be champion instead if that's the case.

DDP fans are the ones coming out saying he's injured and can't fight. DDP said actually he just wants to wait for a card that's not even scheduled and may never be so won't risk fighting at UFC 300.

It's UFC 300, not an Apex Fight Night on a Tuesday. The organization comes to you saying "we need a main event for our biggest card in years, are you able to fight?"

And if your response is "yes, but I want UFC Africa which isn't even a thing so won't take UFC 300 and risk that"

Then yeah, strip that champion's ass and create a new vacant title for people who will.

It's a two way street between the promotion and the champion, the champ doesn't get to call all the shots. They need champion fights for their PPVs. If you reasonably can then you should be doing so or don't be surprised if they replace you with someone who will.
Stripping him for that is beyond ludicrous. Strip Topuria, Islam and anyone else not lined up with a fight while we're at it

Fuck it, strip em all! O'malley better have a fight signed for UFC 301 as soon as he is done 299 or fuck it, strip him too!

They should defend their belt 12 times a year or be stripped. All contenders should fight 12 times a year or be shown the door.

Would be somewhat onboard for this fight if the match between Strickland and Izzy was close.

How does someone get tooled for 5 rounds then leapfrog everyone else in the division for another shot?

Izzy's the man (weird but MMA isn't a popularity contest); but he's gotta get a win before being thrown back in the cage to fight for the MW belt.

That said, if someone drops out due to an injury or something and he steps up when no one else will.... sure why not?

***But due to the UFC's precedent of making fights like that, and the milestone event, I voted "Yes I believe him..." or whatever.

This is the guy saying he was taking an extended break now he’s crying about people fighting him?

How about he win a fight first? He hasn’t earned a shot at the title while other guys are putting in work.

There's probably no Africa event being planned to happen in 2024. Do you really think DDP is just going to refuse to fight until UFC makes it happen? Of course not.
He said “I can't even explain to you how long we're willing to wait to make that happen, and to defend my belt on home soil”. So we’ll see.

That’s the second time he’s ducked Izzy… Duck Duck DuPlessis

200w.gif
Izzy is too dangerous to take on short notice and without being fully healed. I don't blame him...

He said “I can't even explain to you how long we're willing to wait to make that happen, and to defend my belt on home soil”. So we’ll see.

He's not stupid lol he'd get stripped of the belt if he sat out that long refusing fights trying to force the UFC's hand. Really doubt he'd be that stubborn in negotiations with the UFC.

A former champion shouldn't get an immediate title shot on return against someone they didn't even lose the belt to.

He's not stupid lol he'd get stripped of the belt if he sat out that long refusing fights trying to force the UFC's hand. Really doubt he'd be that stubborn in negotiations with the UFC.
You don’t want to believe what he’s telling you.

Izzy is an idiot. WTF should DDP take this fight on short notice? He'd have been dumb to do so just because the UFC is so thin nowadays that they can't find stars to headline that card. That's their problem. His health comes first.

Second time it has been offered on short notice, too.

Yeah fuck that, he can fight him fair and on his own terms.

There's probably no Africa event being planned to happen in 2024. Do you really think DDP is just going to refuse to fight until UFC makes it happen? Of course not.

Are you calling Dana a liar? He said definitely ufc africa this year. Dana wouldn't lie.....lol

"If Dricus becomes world champion, it’s a no-brainer: we go to South Africa. Africa has been on my radar for a long time, and we will definitely get that figured out one way or another this year,” he said."

This is the guy saying he was taking an extended break now he’s crying about people fighting him?

How about he win a fight first? He hasn’t earned a shot at the title while other guys are putting in work.

Exactly - didn't he say three years or something silly? lol

Unless he had a legitimate medical reason and literally couldn't fight, I'd be fine with DDP being stripped if he simply refused to defend when asked.
Lol how long has he had the belt?

Are you calling Dana a liar? He said definitely this year. Dana wouldn't lie.....lol

"If Dricus becomes world champion, it’s a no-brainer: we go to South Africa. Africa has been on my radar for a long time, and we will definitely get that figured out one way or another this year,” he said."

read closely

we will definitely get that figured out one way or another this year

That could mean by the end of the year they figure out & line up a date for 2025 for all we know lol. There's only so many PPV slots available for 2024, they're going to Brazil, Vegas for IFW, probably MSG in NY or Australia in the fall, Abu Dhabi, possibly Spain.... I think most people would agree they are a lot more likely to go to Spain than anywhere in Africa this year if we had a poll on it.

read closely

That could mean by the end of the year they figure out & line up a date for 2025 for all we know lol. There's only so many PPV slots available for 2024, they're going to Brazil, Vegas for IFW, probably MSG in NY or Australia in the fall, Abu Dhabi, possibly Spain.... I think most people would agree there a lot more likely to go to Spain than anywhere in Africa this year if we had a poll on it.

He's said they plan to go to africa this year in other videos. I'll try to find it for you.

I believe him. Dricus wanted to headline against Adesanya in Africa. Is UFC even planning to hold an event there? Which African country makes the most sense to host a UFC event? Nigeria? South Africa? Ghana?
South Africa. Cape town.
I can't sanction your ignorance.

Back