Isn't it funny how the 1 thing PRIDE vs UFC nerds agreed on was Spider was overrated?

Fedor is still the GOAT.

Amazing athletes like JDS only help prove that point. People underestimate how hard it is to not lose a fight at HW for as long as Fedor did. Guys that big only need to touch your chin. Oh yea and....Pride never die!

Amazing point.

That's an interesting spin on things, I seem to remember the majority of Pride fans believing Silva was going to beat Leben, and UFC fans thinking Leben would win. I also remember after the fight many UFC fans claiming that Silva shouldn't count as a Pride fighter because he didn't have many fights in Pride and should be considered a Cage Rage fighter.

That's just how I remember things, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

fair point, but Silva said himself he "only" has "5 years."..I think he still remains undefeated @ MW (not sure about any other weight class he dares to venture) until then

Well that's another thing to ponder. Will he consider retiring even earlier than that if he starts to slip up or feel his age catching up with him? He's already said his main goal now is to retire undefeated.

Fedor beat up Tim Sylvia.

He's the fucking GOAT.

Tim Sylvia was one of the longest reigning UFC HW champs. Problems?

I have a creeping suspicion that the majority of people who hate on Fedor have only been watching MMA for a couple years and have absolutely no concept or understanding of what the aura, rankings and atmosphere of MMA was like 5+ years ago.

But he's not the GOAT and probably never will be, at least in my book...

You don't become the GOAT hand picking fights / dodging prospects and rematches and cleaning out a super weak division (franklin, vitor, chael and hendo were the only people who deserved / had biz in there as top 10 fighters during anderson's reign...). Is he inredibly skilled and the current best at MW? Yes. Is the the greatest of all time? Hell no.

Fedor, GSP, Aldo, edgar, hendo, jones, etc have all fought vastly superior comp in their respective weight classes and imo are all much more deserving of p4p status than Anderson.

But he's not the GOAT and probably never will be, at least in my book...

You don't become the GOAT hand picking fights / dodging prospects and rematches and cleaning out a super weak division (franklin, vitor, chael and hendo were the only people who deserved / had biz in there as top 10 fighters...).

Fedor, GSP, Aldo, edgar, hendo, jones, etc have all fought vastly superior comp in their respective weight classes and imo are all much more deserving of p4p status than Anderson.

I love Silva, one of my favorite fighters. But I've been saying he's destroying his GOAT image for years by shuffling around fighters that suite him best.

Silva would be GOAT or #2 GOAT (funny, I know) if he went up and beat Jones.

duh thats why I asked. I look at his record and dont think to myself "holy shit thats amazing" at any of his wins

Well, that's why there is a serious problem with MMA fans in 2012-2013.

Most of them are Wiki-graduates and have no fucking clue what they are talking about in regards to the fighters, the eras and the competition there-in at that period in MMA.

Do yourself a favor and go submerge yourself in MMA from 1999-2009 and once you've honestly got a feel for the talent, levels of competition and orgs at that time you tell me why people thought Fedor was so good. Sadly, the aura is something that quite simply will never be replaced, and will be hard to revisit.

:icon_lol:

Baseball GOAT- Babe Ruth 90 years ago in his prime.

Boxing- Sugar Ray Robinson 60 years ago.

Don't always assume newer models are greater.

And some say it's Ali, some say it's Jack Johnson and going back further maybe some would say Tom Cribb or Thasos? It's a silly thing to label someone as the "greatest of all time" because it implies there was never anyone before them that was as good or better and that there never will be.

Well, that's why there is a serious problem with MMA fans in 2012-2013.

Most of them are Wiki-graduates and have no fucking clue what they are talking about in regards to the fighters, the eras and the competition there-in at that period in MMA.

Do yourself a favor and go submerge yourself in MMA from 1999-2009 and once you've honestly got a feel for the talent, levels of competition and orgs at that time you tell me why people thought Fedor was so good.

:icon_lol:

just because a fan didnt folow your favorite era of MMA doesn't mean they have a problem. no i didnt follow mma in 1999, yes i did follow it in 2009. get over It, you sound like an MMA hipster

just because a fan didnt folow your favorite era of MMA doesn't mean they have a problem. no i didnt follow mma in 1999, yes i did follow it in 2009. get over It, you sound like an MMA hipster

....My goodness. LOL, a problem? :redface:

Holy reading comprehension Batman!

That's an interesting spin on things, I seem to remember the majority of Pride fans believing Silva was going to beat Leben, and UFC fans thinking Leben would win. I also remember after the fight many UFC fans claiming that Silva shouldn't count as a Pride fighter because he didn't have many fights in Pride and should be considered a Cage Rage fighter.

That's just how I remember things, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Yeah, I think any partial observer could see that Anderson was a clear cut favorite, but the PRIDE vs UFC debate was at a fever pitch and that usually means MMA fans let rationality go right out the window.

But still...

Leben will win. Mark my words.

Anderson Silva is the most overrated fighter in the history of MMA. Leben will walk through him just like Takase did

The only way I see Silva winning is by cut or if he lands a flying knee

I'm picking Leben in the upset. Silva has beaten some good guys, but so has Leben. I personally think that Silva is overrated and Leben is underrated.

Why is everyone counting Leben out? B/c he was on TUF? I don't know WHY you guys are counting him out... he has the kind of game that could give Anderson some problems.

I think Leben would match up fairly well against ANderson than most people think or like to give him credit for.

Ohhh, this would be very interesting. Leben by KO baby, round 1. Here's why, I think Leben has one of the best chins in the sport. And...he has the power to do the job. Silva is a great fighter, but possibly not as hungry as the Cat Smasher.

Leben is no chump. He's foughten good competition (swick, doerkson, cote, dewees, rivera, luigi, and radach) and only lost a decision in a great fight with doerkson. Silva has foughten good competition as well but i actually see him losing this fight.

Back