• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Islam v Dustin was like a more wholesome version of Conor v Khabib

This was a super entertaining fight though
But what made it entertaining?
Poirier suddenly being able to stuff takedowns and staying in the fight or something else?

But what made it entertaining?
Poirier suddenly being able to stuff takedowns and staying in the fight or something else?
No man

The entire fight was entertaining. The back and forth. Both guys did damage to each other. Islam's grappling on the ground was great, and Dustin defending and escaping was great. I mean... DUH?

No man

The entire fight was entertaining. The back and forth. Both guys did damage to each other. Islam's grappling on the ground was great, and Dustin defending and escaping was great. I mean... DUH?
And then some fools claim Merab is boring… when he displays much more impressive and more versatile grappling against better opponents.

But, yes I agree the fight being competitive and close made it entertaining.

He's number one right now. Who else would it be? Jones is actively ducking the best heavyweights.
Islam just defended against Poirier and you want to argue someone else is cherrypicking?

Islam just defended against Poirier and you want to argue someone else is cherrypicking?
Poirier was the only available opponent. The goal posts you move towards Makhachev, he fought the #5 Lightweight who was coming off a great win, he made weight, the fight was outside of the UAE. It was great fight and yet you and little hating crew are still finding ways to diminish his career, What else do you want? Him to fight your favorite, Conor Mcgregor?

Makhachev will likely fighting before the end this year against Armand.

Yeah UFC fighters take rounds off 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️. Why are motherfuckers here that dumb
They take rounds off. Fuckin Robbie Lawler even said he took a round off in a fight before. Thats how I first heard the term.

Khabib cooked Conor's goose so bad in the first 2 rds so he took the 3rd round off. Conor was too tired to hurt him with his strikes. He was no longer a threat to hurt Khabib so Khabib took his foot off the gas for most of the round. Then when he turnt it up in the end of the round Conor snapped and said "Its only business" and then got annihlated in round 4.

Boxers take off rounds all the fuckin time when they are way ahead

They take rounds off. Fuckin Robbie Lawler even said he took a round off in a fight before. Thats how I first heard the term.

Khabib cooked Conor's goose so bad in the first 2 rds so he took the 3rd round off. Conor was too tired to hurt him with his strikes. He was no longer a threat to hurt Khabib so Khabib took his foot off the gas for most of the round. Then when he turnt it up in the end of the round Conor snapped and said "Its only business" and then got annihlated in round 4.

no, khabib would have finished it in round 3 if he was able to take Conor down but he got stuffed

Conor crumbled under the massive pressure he created. He was not able to replicate Dustin’s gritty performance in the face of a seemingly unbeatable foe. Dustin showed what we always knew, he is a true warrior and refuses to wilt

I sometimes look at these fights with the thinking that if this was in ancient times in a coliseum somewhere, where the consequences were far greater, then what would it mean for the current results? For example, I don’t think Khabib was letting Conor live… But Islam and Dustin had mutual respect that was only made greater after they fought. I don’t know why when I’m watching I’m always considering this, but I think it’s relevant somehow. Lions lick the wounds of their defeated foes
Well said. I definitely prefer seeing that kind of mutual respectful dynamic. It's more informative as a fan to see fighters being genuine and giving an honest assessment of the fight and their opponent's skills. The champion calling his opponent a champion and a legend was heart felt. I personally found the fight highly entertaining. Two extraordinarily talent guys. Poirier staying right in it and looking better the longer fight went on and grittier it got. He proved to be a proper test for Islam and Islam proved why he's the defending champ.

Last edited:
no, khabib would have finished it in round 3 if he was able to take Conor down but he got stuffed
He was tired too which is why he didn't try all that hard

Islam v Dustin was like a higher profile version of Khabib v Iaquinta

Poirier was the only available opponent. The goal posts you move towards Makhachev, he fought the #5 Lightweight who was coming off a great win, he made weight, the fight was outside of the UAE. It was great fight and yet you and little hating crew are still finding ways to diminish his career, What else do you want? Him to fight your favorite, Conor Mcgregor?

Makhachev will likely fighting before the end this year against Armand.
Dustin was the only available opponent because Islam "randomly" decided he'd only fight June 1.

When Dustin was the only available opponent.

God bless him for that because it completely backfired on him.

Islam v Dustin was like a higher profile version of Khabib v Iaquinta
If Khabib was already champion. If Iaquinta was a better fighter. If the former champion wasn't stripped due to no defenses. Other than all that, yeah you are right!

That's true. Not a nuthugger by a longshot, but Conor did take a round against Khabib. If I'm not mistaken, I believe he's the only UFC fighter to do so.
He alson cheated a lot of times in the second round where he would have been finished if the ref have stopped him from cheating.

Dustin was the only available opponent because Islam "randomly" decided he'd only fight June 1.

When Dustin was the only available opponent.

God bless him for that because it completely backfired on him.
Before the BMF bout was finalize, Makhachev said he wanted to fight Gaethje in June & the winner of Armand and Oliviera in the end year. I guess Dana & Co has the other plans.

They offered the bout to Arman, he denied it which in the end it still works out. Armand is next and he has ample time to prepare.

How did it backfire? Makhachev still won, against a great fighter. Your definition of backfired is skewed, Conor Mcgregor picking Nate Diaz in short notice bout who was on vacation, when fighters like Pettis and Cerrone were still in fight shape ready to go, that's what backfired looks like when your submission game & conditioning is exposed.

I can tolerate you most times but anytime a fighter who has a relation to Khabib, you get weird and delusional about said fighter, in this case it's Makhachev.

God bless you, you're doing great.

Do You Like That GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

theres no way for a fight to be wholesome

Back