Is Zhang here to stay?

I don't remember her seeming so impressive her last fight. It was pretty lackluster, actually. She's yet to prove herself against the best of the division.

She suffered a serious neck injury in that fight that affected her performance. It's why she hasn't fought since then.

You've got 5 different women who could be champ and 4 of them have already. Joanna, Rose, Zhang, Suarez, Andrade. This is the wmma equivalent of the LHW division before Jones when the belt was getting passed around.
It's the only legitimately good division in the women's divisions as well. Flyweight is just Valentina's slaughterhouse, and no one in bantamweight has a realistic chance against Nunes.

If she gets past JJ and Suarez, she will easily coast through the rest of the SW competition and move up to 125
I'm looking forward to her vs Suarez, don't care if the title is on the line or not

Every time someone claims the title, half of the dunces on this site proclaim them nearly unbeatable and guaranteed to be long time defending champions

Perfect example of how utterly brainless the average plebeian is.

Only half? More like 95%. I was around when everyone thought Holly was unbeatable after she finished Ronda, yet look where she is now.

We'll see. she has a lot of power, something you don't see at 115. If she KTFO/beat Joanna and rose... then she's legit.

If the T-virus keeps wrecking her country she’ll probably be here to stay (in America)

A lot of people are touting Weili as a potential dominant champion, saying she has both great technique and power, while her rivals only tend to have one or the other. However, before her fight against Andrade most people didn't even know her, but now she has a monumental amount of hype. Joanna is one of the greatest women's mixed martial artists ever, and picking Weili over her, who was basically an unknown before her title fight, seems foolish to a lot of other people.

Jessica was reckless and came in like a bull, whereas Joanna will no doubt be much more tactical and patient. Joanna is not all what she once was, however, and Zhang painted quite an imposing portrait of herself since that beatdown she laid on Andrade. It's not like she's inexperienced either, she actually has more fights under her belt than Joanna. Against weaker competition, sure, but obviously Zhang's no newbie.

I have to admit, I've got high hopes for Zhang. I'm picking her to win, but you can't count out someone like Joanna just because she was handed a few losses at the hands of Namajunas and Shevchenko, the latter of whom only Amanda Nunes has ever legitimately beaten. People have turned on her pretty quickly though, and somehow Zhang is the favorite to win this fight, despite the fact that Joanna is the division's most dominant fight by far, and a year ago no one knew Zhang's name. In any other situation this seems ridiculous.

What are your thoughts? Will Zhang become the dominant force many are predicting?
My thoughts are that Zhang will, at some point in the fight, overwhelm JJ with her power and ferocity and strike-volume. JJ DOES have a chin that is not made of titanium. She got flattened by Rose and Zhang hits with (my view) far more power than Rose.

I think Zhang wins by KO, and stays champion for as long as she wants to be there.

EPaG6EeUYAEY8Vf
that's quite funny man

Bienvenue.

It's hard to say. Almost all fighters use the dream of being champ as motivation to make it to the top. It's harder to keep those fires of motivation burning while already at the top of the mountain. We'll see what happens. SW has plenty of good challengers for her.

Jarl

Only half? More like 95%. I was around when everyone thought Holly was unbeatable after she finished Ronda, yet look where she is now.

Remember when max supposedly cleaned out his division and should move to LW because there was no one else for him to fight?

Women's SW is the best division in the UFC, there isn't another division were the top 5 can all beat each other.

Zhang is great but you can never count Joanna out. You're right, before her last, most people (except for Better Every Day and a few others) didn't know or actually care about Zhang untill she whooped Jessica but that's Sherdog for you. Hype can do a lot of things, including blind people.

I'm not picking anyone for this fight as it's too close in my eyes but I have no problem with Zhang being the favourite.

I don't think she will have a very long reign as I think Rose, Joanna and the big one Tatiana can all beat her. But I hope I'm proven wrong because I do like her.

No way. The champ has 1 top 5 win to win the title, impossible to even know if she's great yet. Andrade will never beat JJ, we've already seen it and it was ridiculously one sided. JJ will never beat Rose, we've already seen that fight twice and neither was that competitive. Suarez looks promising but she gets beaten badly by everyone above her, and dont get me started on Ansaroff.

Not even top 5 divisions.

I think she’s here to stay. As legit as they come if you ask me.

She'll be champ for a while, but tough to see her beating Suarez.

No way. The champ has 1 top 5 win to win the title, impossible to even know if she's great yet. Andrade will never beat JJ, we've already seen it and it was ridiculously one sided. JJ will never beat Rose, we've already seen that fight twice and neither was that competitive. Suarez looks promising but she gets beaten badly by everyone above her, and dont get me started on Ansaroff.

Not even top 5 divisions.
Joanna - Rose 2 was actually competitive.
Rose won because she landed the harder strikes, but she actually got outstruck and it's not like she came out unscathed either..

I think Joanna has the tools to beat her.

People who're saying "she got flattened by Rose, imagine what Weili would do to her!" pay obviously no attention to matchups.
Rose has arguably the best boxing in WMMA, while Zhang looked not as dominant against opponents who chose not to brawl with her and Jedrzejczyk is fantastic at keeping the distance while continuously landing on her opponents.

She has good technique and actually looks like she carries some serious power in her punches.

Back