Is Zhang here to stay?

Kyojiro Kagenuma

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are touting Weili as a potential dominant champion, saying she has both great technique and power, while her rivals only tend to have one or the other. However, before her fight against Andrade most people didn't even know her, but now she has a monumental amount of hype. Joanna is one of the greatest women's mixed martial artists ever, and picking Weili over her, who was basically an unknown before her title fight, seems foolish to a lot of other people.

Jessica was reckless and came in like a bull, whereas Joanna will no doubt be much more tactical and patient. Joanna is not all what she once was, however, and Zhang painted quite an imposing portrait of herself since that beatdown she laid on Andrade. It's not like she's inexperienced either, she actually has more fights under her belt than Joanna. Against weaker competition, sure, but obviously Zhang's no newbie.

I have to admit, I've got high hopes for Zhang. I'm picking her to win, but you can't count out someone like Joanna just because she was handed a few losses at the hands of Namajunas and Shevchenko, the latter of whom only Amanda Nunes has ever legitimately beaten. People have turned on her pretty quickly though, and somehow Zhang is the favorite to win this fight, despite the fact that Joanna is the division's most dominant fight by far, and a year ago no one knew Zhang's name. In any other situation this seems ridiculous.

What are your thoughts? Will Zhang become the dominant force many are predicting?

We'll see. She may just be another champ who starts partying and drinking nothin but Coronas all day. But I'd say she's here to stay.

She seems to have a palpable mean streak, I think she'll be here awhile

I think Zhang is a badass and I think she'll have long run holding the title.

Joanna's chin can't handle Zhang's power. She got crumpled by Rose of all people.

A lot of people are touting Weili as a potential dominant champion, saying she has both great technique and power, while her rivals only tend to have one or the other. However, before her fight against Andrade most people didn't even know her, but now she has a monumental amount of hype. Joanna is one of the greatest women's mixed martial artists ever, and picking Weili over her, who was basically an unknown before her title fight, seems foolish to a lot of other people.

Jessica was reckless and came in like a bull, whereas Joanna will no doubt be much more tactical and patient. Joanna is not all what she once was, however, and Zhang painted quite an imposing portrait of herself since that beatdown she laid on Andrade. It's not like she's inexperienced either, she actually has more fights under her belt than Joanna. Against weaker competition, sure, but obviously Zhang's no newbie.

I have to admit, I've got high hopes for Zhang. I'm picking her to win, but you can't count out someone like Joanna just because she was handed a few losses at the hands of Namajunas and Shevchenko, the latter of whom only Amanda Nunes has ever legitimately beaten. People have turned on her pretty quickly though, and somehow Zhang is the favorite to win this fight, despite the fact that Joanna is the division's most dominant fight by far, and a year ago no one knew Zhang's name. In any other situation this seems ridiculous.

What are your thoughts? Will Zhang become the dominant force many are predicting?

Zhang has the pride of China riding on her shoulders which is a lot of pressure. If he she can handle that then she definitely has the skills to be great in wmma

she looks and fights like she is here to stay

Weili Zhang eats the sun and drinks the skies, and they both go with her when she dies....

All hail Empress Zhang!

As champ? Probably not. That division is stacked.

She reminds me of a little Amanda Nunes.

Women's SW is the best division in the UFC, there isn't another division were the top 5 can all beat each other.

Zhang is great but you can never count Joanna out. You're right, before her last, most people (except for Better Every Day and a few others) didn't know or actually care about Zhang untill she whooped Jessica but that's Sherdog for you. Hype can do a lot of things, including blind people.

I'm not picking anyone for this fight as it's too close in my eyes but I have no problem with Zhang being the favourite.

I don't think she will have a very long reign as I think Rose, Joanna and the big one Tatiana can all beat her. But I hope I'm proven wrong because I do like her.

hmrclnjg.png

I'm among the minority who believe Joanna will outpoint her, but that doesn't make her any less legit in my view. I've watched the Tecia Torres fight a couple of times and while she did lose, it wasn't what I would call a dominant performance. Tatiana Suarez could certainly be a problem for her. Obviously, trying to brawl with her is a poor strategy.

She seems to have a palpable mean streak, I think she'll be here awhile

Agreed. She is a God Damn honey badger in there at times. Every once in a while there is an almost feral look that comes out of her.

Weili-Zhang-2-696x399.png

When she was fighting Andrade, it was like she was fighting for the last scrap of food on earth.

hopefully, she seems like a good champion.
we will learn a lot from her next fight

If she gets past JJ and Suarez, she will easily coast through the rest of the SW competition and move up to 125

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back