Is Wonderboy the greatest striker we've ever seen in MMA?

It's the fad. Guy wins decently, declared goat by fanboys of sherdog. Sunrise, Sunset.
Dude, there is hyperbole on both sides. wrecking the #2 WW on the feet like that, a guy who bludgeoned GSP and held his own against other top WW's for a long time, is more than just decent.

He could be on the list for best ever one day for sure. Not yet, but it is a possibility.

I love the wailing and moaning of nuthuggers because it's popular to announce anyone that grinds one out in the Prelim Card is the New GOAT.
We now shove hype trains down YOUR throats for a change. Take it till you like it, huggers.

No.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

• “Dana, when you get a chance, when you get a chance to watch Ronda Rousey fight, it’s not just a fight at this point. It’s a cultural spectacle.”
  • “It doesn’t just seem like a fight. It seems like some sort of historical event that you have the privilege of watching live.”
  • “She’s such a unique athlete. And such a unique person.”
  • “She’s almost like a mythical *stumbles over his words*… A mythical human at this point.”
  • “[Bethe] is fighting a woman who transcends sport. She’s fighting a woman who is a hero.”
  • “Wow. Woah. Crazy. Oh my goodness. Wow. Wow.”
  • “She’s a cultural icon.”
  • “She is just spectacular.”
  • “She just keeps getting better. She’s terrifying!”
  • “There’s something staggering about that woman. I really do feel like she’s just some incredible, historical figure.”
  • “She’s not a once in a lifetime, she’s once EVER.”
  • “Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.”
  • “To be able to call her fights is an honor. I don’t use that word lightly at all. It is a real honor.”
  • “It’s an honor to call your fights. It really is. You’re the best ever, you’re just*stutters like the first time you asked a girl on a date* a.. a… a once in a lifetime human being.”
  • “It’s like watching some unbelievable historical figure that’s never existed before.”
  • “Man, I’m blown away tonight.”
  • “I just want to tell you I’m just beyond honored to call this fight.”
  • “Ronda Rousey is on another level. I mean, another level from where she was before, and THAT was another level.”
  • “The best ever, ladies and gentlemen.”
  • “She’s just something so undeniably special. I’m just humbled, man. I’m humble.”
  • “This is something you’re going to get a chance to tell your children about. To tell your grandchildren about.”
  • “She is better than she ever was before, and she was already the best.”
  • “When people tell you ‘Hey I was there when Muhammad Ali fought Sonny Liston’, ‘I got to see Mike Tyson beat Trevor Burbick’, that’s what I feel like when I watch her fight.”
  • "Once in a lifetime doesn't apply to Ronda Rousey. It's once EVER in human history."

joe-rogan-3ammma.jpg

He's got potential to be the next Holly Holm.

Anderson is still my pick. Thompson looked amazing though.

Dude, there is hyperbole on both sides. wrecking the #2 WW on the feet like that, a guy who bludgeoned GSP and held his own against other top WW's for a long time, is more than just decent.

He could be on the list for best ever one day for sure. Not yet, but it is a possibility.
Sure. He potentially can. But very few guys actually live up to the hype this place gives them. Asking whether or not he's the greatest mma striker when he has yet to even capture a major mma title on the back of his skill set is beyond premature. He has 13 pro fights. If he goes out and does the same to the champion, then proceeds to defend convincingly. Then yeah, we can talk. Until then. He's a top contender in the WW division, nothing more.

lets be real, hendricks was at about 12.63 %

and thats being generous.

Conor 19 wins. 17 KO/TKOs (Only been past second round once in his career)
Anderson Silva 33 wins. 20 KO/TKOs
Wonderboy 12 wins. 7 KO/TKOs

In terms of accomplishments by a striker who's now in MMA - Overeem and Spong. And relative to his/her own competition - Holly Holm, in terms of both accomplishments and technique.

Inside the Octagon and during actual MMA fights - Anderson Silva and several others. I'm not a fan of Conor, but even Conor has a better claim inside the Octagon. Wonderboy has spectacular offense but he got dropped by both Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger - who, at the time, were a non-top 10 fighter and the #9 fighter, respectively.

Oh ok so he got dropped twice but what about Overeem who's been knocked out multiple times? AS was dropped and ktfo against Weidman, dropped again the rematch. Hell, even Sonnen dropped him. Fact is even the best strikers can get dropped. Imo right now in mma Conor and Wonderboy are in a league of their own, at least lately.

Conor fans shook, can't handle a taste of their own medicine.

I need more convincing
If he beats Lawler with a KO then we can talk

Wonderboy was extremely effective against stocky, short range fighters.

Yet to be seen how he would fare against more versatile length strikers that are elite, a-la Condit and Rory Mac.

I think proclaiming him the striking GOAT at this point is pretty premature, we'll see where he is in a few more fights. He certainly looked excellent yesterday though. I personally don't like proclaiming a GOAT in anything, rather I prefer acknowledging that there are numerous GreatsOAT.

As to the original point of the thread... Anderson Silva is one of those striking Greats. I think Connor is on the path to go down as one of the striking Greats. Frankie Edgar's boxing and footwork is pretty beautiful to watch as well. Machida in his prime was pretty darn impressive as well. Shogun's brand of striking matched up very well against his though. Come to think of it Joanna Jedrzejczyk has excellent striking, like Connor I think she's on the path as well, I would still like to see a couple more fights though.

I'm sure there's many others, but all those names come to mind as striking Greats.

Wonderboy was extremely effective against stocky, short range fighters.

Yet to be seen how he would fare against more versatile length strikers that are elite, a-la Condit and Rory Mac.
Condit may be his toughest matchup

Wonderboy is truly a once in a lifetime striker. Maybe one day men's MMA will luck out and get a once-ever striker like the women's side lucked out with Rousey, but until then Wonderboy sits atop a throne as the best striker to ever grace male MMA. He would destroy prime Cro Cop in a kickboxing match.

Back