Is Wonderboy the best striker in WW?

Is he?

• Total voters
...and the testicular band wagon is off...

Most of you still have the smell of Sage Northcutt's nut sack still fresh on your breath and you are already in a feeding frenzy to get a taste of ''Wonderboy's'' lol. How long before you scrotum connoisseurs with your cannibalistic nature and your insatiable hunger to latch on to the next and newest set of balls turn on him ?

An off night, a poor performance or if he is simply just bested by what turns out to be a much skilled fighter...either would have you tripping over your potato chips and running from your tv to post on hear in outrage he proved to be just a man.

I voted yes. I expect more "surprising" kos, but the man is beatable. He got caught staying in the pocket with ellenberger too long, which could be bad for him if he made a similar mistake against someone like lawler, but despite that, my vote is for wonderboy on overall striking game at ww.

He might be more technical, but I would still give lawler a slight edge in the standup war. I'd give thompson the edge against condit/rory but only very very slightly.

also, i'd favor rory in an overall mma match

Last edited:
I don't think Rory would, he doesn't have the power/pressure that would stop Wonderboy from engaging/countering. Rory is good, but Wonderboy would make work of his defensive flaws imo. Robbie is pretty short like Hendricks, so I got Wonderboy again))
Isn't robbie 6'0"?

You can argue with anyone, for example:

Robbie Lawler
Nick/Nate Diaz
Georges St Pierre
Carlos Condit
Tyron Woodley
Sage Northcutt
Michael Paige
Paul Daley
etc...

Wonderboy looked long, lanky, and bigger than Hendricks (69" reach). He doesn't have that advantage against Robbie (74" reach) and Rory (76" reach).

His striking is pretty good, but mostly due to his kicks. He uses them well to keep distance and setup his hands. Can't think of any WWs that can kick like Thompson. So, if you're judging on kicks alone, he's at the top of the heap.

Robbie likely should have lost to Condit because of Condit's distance fighting. The only reason Robbie got the nod is because Condit has frequent defensive lapses and Robbie was able to land some dramatic, head snapping punches. Basically, Condit willl leap into range and forget to ether get his head off line, keep his hands up, or have an exit strategy. It got him lit up by T-Wood, and lost him the decision to Robbie. He also often finds himself off balance because, to be quite frank, his technique is kind of sloppy.

Now, while Wonderboy often neglects to keep his hands up, he always keeps his head off line when he attacks, always slips effortlessly out of range before return fire comes, and is never off balance.

So based on Robbie's struggles with Condit, and Wonderboy's technically superior game to that of Condit, I tend to think he handles Robbie rather easily as well.

Robbie has basically fought a list of who's who strikers. In a purely stand up affair no one has had it easy against the champ save for Diaz may a decade ago.

So, as I said he might as well lose to Wonderboy but until the latter puts together a couple of more impressive performances like that (against say Rory and Condit or Lawler) I wouldnt be so quick to call him unbeatable in the striking department. Way too many fighters have looked that way and have been annihilated. Remeber what Dos Anjos did to Pettis with basically just striking? Who the faq saw that one coming?

Funny to watch Robbie haters like you. He just keeps going out and extinguishing your flames of hope.
Did I hit a sensitive spot? What in that post makes you think I'm a Robbie Lawler hater? Just because I think Condit beat him and Wonderboy would too somehow makes me a hater? So funny man. Flames of hope lol.

Robbie has basically fought a list of who's who strikers. In a purely stand up affair no one has had it easy against the champ save for Diaz may a decade ago.

So, as I said he might as well lose to Wonderboy but until the latter puts together a couple of more impressive performances like that (against say Rory and Condit or Lawler) I wouldnt be so quick to call him unbeatable in the striking department. Way too many fighters have looked that way and have been annihilated. Remeber what Dos Anjos did to Pettis with basically just striking? Who the faq saw that one coming?

Anyone who followed RDAs progression saw that one coming. Just like anyone who followed wonderboys career knew he'd beat Hendricks.

He's great against the stocky fighters, haven't seen him up against elite fighters with length and versatility yet.

His straight up boxing is awkward when he gets up close, he stands flat footed and has his body totally square to his opponent.

That's why ellenberger dropped him, could be disasterous against a guy with quick technical striking like rory or condit.

Did I hit a sensitive spot? What in that post makes you think I'm a Robbie Lawler hater? Just because I think Condit beat him and Wonderboy would too somehow makes me a hater? So funny man. Flames of hope lol.
Damn did I hit a soft spot? What a rant, save it for after Robbie beats Wonderboy like he did Condit.

One could argue all of MMA not just WW.

Wow, we are getting a little crazy here. I mean he might as well beat Robbie, but easily? Thats a stretch.

Yes, the win against Hendricks was impressive, but what do you think about Johnny's performance? He totally underestimated the guy, following him around flatfooted, staying at Wonderboy's distance...not trying to dimish what Thompson did in anyway but I can guarantee you Robbie will not be standing there like a duck witing to be shot there. Even if he loses he'd be pressuring Wonderboy, he'll put up a fight for sure.

Plus I am also not convinced Wonderboy is beating Condit.

I didn't think Thomspon was that good. Him being able to switch stances at the correct time to be able to both strike & circle to both sides while keeping correct distance is huge. Cro Cop couldn't do this.

And now Thompson has shown TDD and the ability to get back up against 2 good wrestlers in a row. Remember, not only Hendricks got tooled on the feet, but Ellenberger as well.

Brawlers like Condit & Lawler will have a tough time hitting him, closing the distance will be a problem. I'd much rather see Wonderboy fight Tarec or Rory. Those fights are more competitive on paper.

Anyone who followed RDAs progression saw that one coming. Just like anyone who followed wonderboys career knew he'd beat Hendricks.

Probably saw Holm beating Honda like that too, eh? How much did you make off of these fights anyway? I mean if it was so clear cut to you I suppose you bet the house? Yeah, didnt think so either.

You might have thought that Thompson might beat Hendricks via some crazy KO, I thought that was possible too. Did I see coming what happened on fight night? Hell no.

With respect to Pettis, guy was looking as good as ever. Had just finished fighters like Bendo, Cowboy and Gil in a fucking row. Convincingly and whatnot. But you knew exactly what would happen - that Pettis would look like a rookie on fight night, eh? Good for you, man.

I didn't think Thomspon was that good. Him being able to switch stances at the correct time to be able to both strike & circle to both sides while keeping correct distance is huge. Cro Cop couldn't do this.

And now Thompson has shown TDD and the ability to get back up against 2 good wrestlers in a row. Remember, not only Hendricks got tooled on the feet, but Ellenberger as well.

Brawlers like Condit & Lawler will have a tough time hitting him, closing the distance will be a problem. I'd much rather see Wonderboy fight Tarec or Rory. Those fights are more competitive on paper.

For Rory I agree somewhat he is not as good as CC in the stand up though where this fight would take place. I dont see Tarec beating Thompson. Plus he's small. Thiago Alves is also a damn good striker but he is too small for the division

Probably saw Holm beating Honda like that too, eh? How much did you make off of these fights anyway? I mean if it was so clear cut to you I suppose you bet the house? Yeah, didnt think so either.

You might have thought that Thompson might beat Hendricks via some crazy KO, I thought that was possible too. Did I see coming what happened on fight night? Hell no.

With respect to Pettis, guy was looking as good as ever. Had just finished fighters like Bendo, Cowboy and Gil in a fucking row. Convincingly and whatnot. But you knew exactly what would happen - that Pettis would look like a rookie on fight night, eh? Good for you, man.

Thanks man. I'm pretty good at spotting talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back