Is Wonderboy the best striker in WW?

Is he?

• Total voters
I think he just exposed how bad Hendricks' striking game is.
Well, that's something that Lawler and Condit couldn't do so....

He might be the best mma striker period. I'm sure there are people in mma that could beat him in a kickboxing match, but none of those guys can stay on their feet inside a cage like he can.

I think his striking is superb, what I think is most impressive about him is his range control.

He is able to move to just out of his opponents reach, yet close enough to explode when they have committed and missed. This along with his speed is what makes him much more dangerous that most in the division.

He is without question the most skilled striker at WW. I see some people suggesting somebody like Lawler could make it a brawl and come out on top and that's certainly possible, but in terms of actual skills he is clearly leading the pack.

I think Rory would out strike him, Robbie would aswell.
I don't think Rory would, he doesn't have the power/pressure that would stop Wonderboy from engaging/countering. Rory is good, but Wonderboy would make work of his defensive flaws imo. Robbie is pretty short like Hendricks, so I got Wonderboy again))

Yes. He is very offensively and defensively sound.

But that might be thrown out the window if he gets into a dog fight.

Fighting Lawler, it's going to be a dog fight.

I wouldn't mind him vs Rory either. Would be a close fight.

Only round 5 is a dog fight with Lawler. Rounds 1-4 is Lawler coasting and pot shotting, which he can't do against someone like Wonderboy who is great at range.

I don't think Rory would, he doesn't have the power/pressure that would stop Wonderboy from engaging/countering. Rory is good, but Wonderboy would make work of his defensive flaws imo. Robbie is pretty short like Hendricks, so I got Wonderboy again))
Agreed, I like Rory and think he's possibly the best all-around fighter in the division, but I don't think his style matches up particularly well with Wonderboy's. Rory's incredibly skilled, but he's not an explosive wrestler or striker and I think that leaves him in a tough situation where he'd have to try to outpoint Wonderboy on the feet over 15-25 minutes.

yes. and I think he'll beat Lawler easily. Wonderboy struggled with distance earlier in his UFC run, that's why he got hit more and roughed up in the clinch and on the ground. Now he's confident he can get back up and stuff shots, so he's distance became more natural, like in pure striking, and it'll be hard to touch him.

We can make a case for a few guys at WW. Obviously Wonderboy is one of them.

Honestly, I would like to see him fight Condit before I jump to any crazy conclusions.

yes. and I think he'll beat Lawler easily. Wonderboy struggled with distance earlier in his UFC run, that's why he got hit more and roughed up in the clinch and on the ground. Now he's confident he can get back up and stuff shots, so he's distance became more natural, like in pure striking, and it'll be hard to touch him.

Wow, we are getting a little crazy here. I mean he might as well beat Robbie, but easily? Thats a stretch.

Yes, the win against Hendricks was impressive, but what do you think about Johnny's performance? He totally underestimated the guy, following him around flatfooted, staying at Wonderboy's distance...not trying to dimish what Thompson did in anyway but I can guarantee you Robbie will not be standing there like a duck witing to be shot there. Even if he loses he'd be pressuring Wonderboy, he'll put up a fight for sure.

Plus I am also not convinced Wonderboy is beating Condit.

That was about the best striking performance Ive ever seen in the octagon considering Hendricks's talent and chin. Probably only Anderson v Forrest was better

Did Hendricks fought like hi rank though? Following Thompson around flatfooted, plodding forward...Forest at least looked like he was trying to make something happen

Don't know if he's the best, but he's definitely from real.

How can you be an MMA fan and call half of the roster "midgets"?
Conor even refers to his opponents as midgets
And I'm pretty sure he is also a fan of the sport

Boxing is an essential part of striking. That, I do not think he is the best at in his division.

Yes to Rory because he is long, has kicks, and will mix things up with his grappling. Robbie no way. He would get picked apart outside much worse than what Condit did.
Funny to watch Robbie haters like you. He just keeps going out and extinguishing your flames of hope.

Yes. I would have answered "yes" to the question a year ago and it could have as well been worded "best striker in MMA".

Would love to see him fight Lawler next, Robbie is so tough that we'd get to see 3-4 rounds of that madness of spinning shit and pinpoint striking before it would end.

He might be the best striker, period, regardless of weight division. I never thought he was "just OK". I just questioned whether he'd be able to deal with Hendricks' wrestling. I'm so glad he did.

Larkin and Tumenov are up there. Wonderboy has more weapons but not as good boxing.

Wow, we are getting a little crazy here. I mean he might as well beat Robbie, but easily? Thats a stretch.

Yes, the win against Hendricks was impressive, but what do you think about Johnny's performance? He totally underestimated the guy, following him around flatfooted, staying at Wonderboy's distance...not trying to dimish what Thompson did in anyway but I can guarantee you Robbie will not be standing there like a duck witing to be shot there. Even if he loses he'd be pressuring Wonderboy, he'll put up a fight for sure.

Plus I am also not convinced Wonderboy is beating Condit.

Robbie likely should have lost to Condit because of Condit's distance fighting. The only reason Robbie got the nod is because Condit has frequent defensive lapses and Robbie was able to land some dramatic, head snapping punches. Basically, Condit willl leap into range and forget to ether get his head off line, keep his hands up, or have an exit strategy. It got him lit up by T-Wood, and lost him the decision to Robbie. He also often finds himself off balance because, to be quite frank, his technique is kind of sloppy.

Now, while Wonderboy often neglects to keep his hands up, he always keeps his head off line when he attacks, always slips effortlessly out of range before return fire comes, and is never off balance.

So based on Robbie's struggles with Condit, and Wonderboy's technically superior game to that of Condit, I tend to think he handles Robbie rather easily as well.

Back