Is Wonderboy the best striker in WW?

Is he?

• Total voters
I can't see how a legit argument can be made for anyone else so I'm going with yes.

I have to say yes. I know it was just one performance but that was one of the best striking performance's I've ever seen especially given who he fought. That was reminiscent of Anderson Silva vs Leben or Franklin.

Technically very good, but I still see fighters more experienced being able to beat him standing. Condit and Lalwer are more accustomed to war I don't see them being phased like Hendricks was. I also think Saffediene can beat him via close decision with superior leg kicks, hands and ability to avoid damage and slow down fights.

Put someone who does leg kicks and hes done

For Rory I agree somewhat he is not as good as CC in the stand up though where this fight would take place. I dont see Tarec beating Thompson. Plus he's small. Thiago Alves is also a damn good striker but he is too small for the division
Yeah those 2 have great skill on the feet but are small as you said. Reach bothers them more than actual size though as strikers. I'd give them a better chance against Thompson though because top strikers are better at cutting the cage and have better defense.

Cro Cop was highly skilled on the offense and was very explosive, but when backed up he often got stuck (both in the ring and cage) and his 2 options were to either push off to get back to the center or try to get in a left straight for space to get off the corner/cage. Thompson can circle both ways because he switches stances depending from which angle he's being cut off, and can counter with both hands and feet. Cro Cop was more limited with his counter game (left-heavy) and didn't have the ability to be as effective from both stances.

Also, this is a lot like when Machida came to the UFC. His opponents talk shit on his style, don't take it seriously, and get embarrassed. Straight up playground schooled in there. But Thompson is better at that elusive style. He doesn't leave his chin up when he throws and has length to get away from stuff.

Also more weapons, and from what I've seen those are all well-trained techniques, not stuff for show. The side kick has snap to it, spinning kick is fast and accurate (both to body & head), flying switch from both sides has power & speed and his low kicks come unexpectedly. Thompson also has this punching technique that's hard to read. He doesn't always counter right away, but steps to the side and waits a bit, then throws it off an angle where he looks to be off-balance.

Last edited:
Yup. Can't think of a better one at this point.

Yeah those 2 have great skill on the feet but are small as you said. Reach bothers them more than actual size though as strikers. I'd give them a better chance against Thompson though because top strikers are better at cutting the cage and have better defense.

Cro Cop was highly skilled on the offense and was very explosive, but when backed up he often got stuck (both in the ring and cage) and his 2 options were to either push off to get back to the center or try to get in a left straight for space to get off the corner/cage. Thompson can circle both ways because he switches stances depending from which angle he's being cut off, and can counter with both hands and feet. Cro Cop was more limited with his counter game (left-heavy) and didn't have the ability to be as effective from both stances.

Cro Cop even though an excellent striker had very predictable striking game, as you pointed out. Fedor figured him out and stood and traded with him for the largest portion of their fight.

Thompson's movement is impressive, no doubt, but we already knew that.

Also, on the undercard, I was very pleased by Coggins'performance who showed similar striking abilities and movement as Thompson. His TDD was super on point too. Keep an eye for this guy.

Cro Cop even though an excellent striker had very predictable striking game, as you pointed out. Fedor figured him out and stood and traded with him for the largest portion of their fight.

Thompson's movement is impressive, no doubt, but we already knew that.

Also, on the undercard, I was very pleased by Coggins'performance who showed similar striking abilities and movement as Thompson. His TDD was super on point too. Keep an eye for this guy.
I did not see the fight, but have heard some good things from that fight and will eventually check it out.

Back