Is wonderboy the best Karate based Kickboxer in the UFC history?

PKA guys get chopped up against good leg kickers and good boxers.

Its usually called “North American”rules where all strikes are above the waist, with usually a kick minimum per round (maybe 4 or 6 or sumn) so that it will actually be a kick-fight.

I competed in “International Rules” all the time, leg-kicks allowed, no knees, and no kick minimum per round.

the guy who lost 6 out of his last 10 fights? LOL
source.gif

<JagsKiddingMe>

I wouldn't say he's the best karate-based kickboxer in UFC history, no. And that clickbait title making everyone wonder what Josh you meant, cmon now.

Don't forget, Chuck Liddell started with Koei-Kan karate until he started training in Kenpo karate. But really, what this thread needs is the following:

lol @ guys saying Struve and Josh.

Fulton by far. 255-54-10 (1) since '96.

Pat Barry did some
Rick Rofus
MVP and Raymond Daniels in Bellator
Chidi and Anthony Njokuari

Mike Bispin

Stephen Thompson:

You mean Wonder Boy Thompson

Yes I meant him!

It's a Sherdog pet peeves of mine when people refer to fighters by their first name.

Josh?

Who the fuck are you talking about? I've got to read a wall of text to find out what this goddamn thread is about?????

Grow up and act like adult!

He's talking about James Wonderboy Thompson

Yes!

Confusing Josh Thompson with Wonderboy?

Yeah man, my bad bro!

TS be talking bout Josh “WonderPunk” Thompson

The fusion man!

Silver belt with a white belt's heart.

Black belt with my hands, SUP!!!?

Machida has a better highlight reel and won a belt so it goes to him.

Fuck karate, wasted my young years doing that crap instead of wrestling or judo

His style looks more like taekwoon-do to me.
American karate reminds me more of taekwoon-do rather than karate.

I'll always be bummed that Andrews Nakahara never made it to the UFC...
I mean he was in TUF 21 representing team Blackzilians (against ATT), but he never fought in the UFC proper

Some of you probably remember him as the promising young Brazilian karateka that Sakuraba submitted in DREAM, but he had some cool fights with impressive kicks after this one.
His bout against Yoon Dong Sik was a lot of fun, like almost all of the fights I've watched from him...

His karate accomplishments according to wikipedia:
"Nakahara first begun to study Kyokushin kaikan a strong full contact karate style developed by Masutatsu Oyama. Nakahara went on to join the International Karate Organization (IKO) team. Since then he has been successful in many competitions both in Brazil and America including championship fights with rival karatekas Ewerton Teixeira and Eduardo Tanaka."

• Kyokushin[4]
    • 2007 All American Open Karate Championships IKO-1 (Lost to Ewerton Teixeira)
    • 2006 All American Open Karate Championships IKO-1 (Defeated Ewerton Teixeira)
    • 2005 All American Open Karate Championships IKO-1 (Lost to Eduardo Tanaka)
    • 2005 3rd Kyokushin World Weight Tournament
    • 2005 South American Open IKO-1
    • 2004 All American Open Karate Championships IKO-1 7th Place
    • 2004 6th South American Karate Tournament (Middleweight)
    • 2004 Brazilian Open IKO-1

Fuck karate, wasted my young years doing that crap instead of wrestling or judo

You went to a bad karate school bit this doesn't make karate bad. I agree with judo training.

Practice a style of karate that is mixed with judo. It's a big time difference than a run of the mill karate places.

The best and most decorated Karate practitioner in MMA is Machida.

Back