• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is weighted pull ups a better upper body's strength indicator than bench press?

They're better at indicating your pullup strength.
"Upper body strength" doesn't have an all encompassing measurement.
What he sayd. No need to over-analyze

If you were to ask wich is more important, strong chest or back, i would say a strong back is much more important probably
In the other hand if you can bench over 225 then youre bro certified strongman and have the right to walk around with the imaginary lat syndrome. So go figure

Also I say the bench is a better indicator because it recruits the back, arms, shoulders and chest. While the pull-up does not really work the shoulders or chest.

So yeah to answer you question it would be the bench.

You are correct in that grip strength (vague term but typically to mean crushing strength) is correlated with longevity and health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6778477/
Yeah basically if the guy can beat you at mercy I would consider his upper body strength superior.

Only exception would be if he has a huge leverage advantage over you like his hands are twice your size or something

IMO, both dips and chins are more complete upper-body movements, recruit more muscle(when done correctly), have more transfer to sport/ADL’s, and are better indicators of strength, than the bench press. All great lifts, though. Bench just tends to get slightly overrated in its value.

MMA is more superior. When a guy punches you in the face noone will care about how many pull ups you do.

On a serious note. They're different exercises. Relatively comparable to complexity. I personally am heavy and can't do 1 pull up. And my bench press is stronger then my Squat, DL.

But I'm working on it again.

DL BP Squat are the best excercise. Pull ups are also excellent. Then overhead press. All free weight exercises, multi joint wich are hard to do, do the most for your athleticism.

MMA is more superior. When a guy punches you in the face noone will care about how many pull ups you do.

This. When someone comes bragging how many pullups they can do, just punch them in the face

What if the guy has a gun and blasts you right in the gut?
What if grandma had balls then she would be grandpa :D

Dont take things so serious

And if he shoots, valar morghulis

Last edited:
In my opinion:
Pull ups
Bench Press
Seated Shoulder Press

I can do 100lbs added for reps at about 190lbs with a parallel or supinated grip, probably with a pronated grip too but that might chip off a rep or 10lbs.

At the same time I probably couldn't bench 225 for 1 right now. Then again I haven't barbell benched in over a year maybe two years.

So from my personal experience either no, or probably more accurately --- there are just entirely different measures depending on what movement or body part we're talking. I would venture to say, pull ups probably are more accurate in terms of grappling for sure. Go look at Islam or Khabib, turtle shell backs, retard level pull-up and grip strength, squeeze strength. Neither guy benches at all and I've seen Khabib bench 95lbs once in a video.

Bench is definitely a good barometer in general, but at the risk of getting into bullshit "functional", it's actually not functional imo on some level. There's guys who can bench 3 plates or more than me, and they're pathetically weak on the mat for example. The best OL in the NFL aren't correlated with the bench press test, although that combine test is trash because it's far from maximal strength tbf.

Also I say the bench is a better indicator because it recruits the back, arms, shoulders and chest. While the pull-up does not really work the shoulders or chest.

So yeah to answer you question it would be the bench.

The bench recruits the back? Lats somewhat but the back? Not really.

Back