Is UFC Pay too Low Or Other Sports Too High

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
People often complain (and I've been one of them) that in general, UFC fighters are paid too little. But that is partially because we compare their pay to other sports stars. So, is it that they are paid too little, or are other sports stars paid too much?

The correct answer is: Yes.

Whatever sport has the highest revenue will appeal to the best athletes. If you are challenging for a world title one day and a year later cut and working a full time job your sport will never ever appeal to the best athletes in the world.

Is football pay to high? Not if they want to keep the best players in the planet in the sport. Is UFC pay to low? Not if they are trying to milk a trend.

Irrespective of these locker room payments, no one should be making less than

in other sports the players merely got together and through collective bargaining asked for what they considered a fair share of revenue.

is 50% of revenue too much or too little? do owners "deserve" more? doesn't matter, because "deserve" has nothing to do with it. it's all about negotiation. they successfully negotiated higher wages. because they had leverage.

therefore MLB minimum wage is over $500k, and most minor league ballplayers earn less than half as much money as fast-food workers

my point is, deserved (or "should" is i believe you tern you used) is the wrong way of looking at it. the question should be, can athletes who work for Zuffa successfully collective bargain for more? because really, morality has nothing to do with this.

I had a math teacher when I was in high school who used to always bitterly complain about how athletes like Tom Brady would get paid millions of dollars while she wouldn't even have enough money to live in the area if it wasn't for her husband and dad supporting her.

She was horribly incompetent, barley knew the material she was teaching, very lazy always late with grading papers, and over 90% of the kids in her algebra 1 class failed the standardized test.

Ufc pay is too low. In all sports the athletes should get the lions share. If Dana is worth hundreds of millions his fighters should be worth far more than 10k a fight and 2.5k sponsorship.

I had a math teacher when I was in high school who used to always bitterly complain about how athletes like Tom Brady would get paid millions of dollars while she wouldn't even have enough money to live in the area if it wasn't for her husband and dad supporting her.

She was horribly incompetent, barley knew the material she was teaching, very lazy always late with grading papers, and over 90% of the kids in her algebra 1 class failed the standardized test.

So your saying, maybe had she been paid more she would have done a better job teaching...?

Probably a little of both.

So your saying, maybe had she been paid more she would have done a better job teaching...?

no, I couldn't believe she had the nerve to criticize someone like Brady who is arguably the best ever at what he does while she failed every single day to do her job

and by the time I graduated, she got the can anyways

no, I couldn't believe she had the nerve to criticize someone like Brady who is arguably the best ever at what he does while she failed every single day to do her job

and by the time I graduated, she got the can anyways

and yet you put up with sherdoggers every day. weird.

A bit of the former and a lot of the latter.

As "tacky" as those sponsorship banner were, they helped fighters financially more than that pathetic Reebok deal has. The fact that no other sponsors are allowed on the shorts is wrong.

If Dana didn't honestly realise that scrapping the sponsorship for that Reebok pay scheme was going to cause a problem then he clearly gives zero fucks for the majority of the fighters

She wasn't wrong that athletes are overpaid in a real sense, if you accept that possibility. But the idea behind paying people in her position more would probably mean that she wouldn't have a place at the table at all, or at least she shouldn't.

Cos when you consider that fighting 3 x per year = 60k, after deductions that isn't actually a lot of net income. If the UFC can afford to pay everyone a minimum 20k per fight then why don't they?

athletes in other sports generate much more money than mma fighters, mma is a small sport accept it. if mma fighters want a bigger yet realistic piece of the available pie they need to take a risk and try to organize, whether that is successful is another question

There is no way to say without knowing what the UFC makes and pays out percentage wise compared to other leagues

If the athletes in other sports were payed less, then the guys who own and promote those sports would be getting paid more. I'd rather a bigger slice of the pie go to the athletes themselves. I'd like to see that in the UFC as well.

Back