Is Tyson Fury issuing in a new era of HW’s in combat sports?

So every fighter can be trained to punch as hard as Foreman? Its actually both, natural power and training. Usman always had power, look how jacked he is.
If they were similar in weight and developed their muscles and punching power they can. There's a lot to punching power, and a lot of ways to develop it. Lots of different training. It isn't as simple as just adding more weight to your strength and conditioning. The power punchers all train in similar ways. From the past to the present. That's why they have punching power. The ones that talk about punching power being something you are born with are not training the same way. That's why they feel that way. I've compared their training and it isn't the same.

People love to use genetics as the reason, but power punchers come from all shapes and sizes, some muscular, some lean. So it's not as simple as just saying it's because of genetics. Because if it was, all the power punchers would have similar genetics and physical traits - but they don't.

Someone with his height he has an advantage with having long legs, he's harder to take down and pick up. It would all be trips and single legs that people would attempt or body lock takedowns. He doesn't need to sprawl, it wouldn't benefit him, he would be better getting a strong base and pulling people up, framing, turning them, etc. He already has a great clinch fighting game.

I knew you'd disagree.

That's fine, but you're ignoring the man's own take on it himself as well as the sport of wrestling itself which doesn't include that many tall, leggy wrestlers even at heavyweight.

So every fighter can be trained to punch as hard as Foreman? Its actually both, natural power and training. Usman always had power, look how jacked he is.
Yeah but he learned how to use that power in his punching techniques and is now KOing fighters. Being jacked doesn't automatically mean you are a power puncher. A lot of the jacked guys are strong but their punches are more push style arm punches with no snap/whip. That's why they can't get a lot of power in their punches.

I knew you'd disagree.

That's fine, but you're ignoring the man's own take on it himself as well as the sport of wrestling itself which doesn't include that many tall, leggy wrestlers even at heavyweight.
No I'm not disagreeing. I'm not saying Fury needs to turn into a wrestler. He needs to get good TDD and learn how to get up if he does get taken down. I'm not saying Fury needs to switch his style and start having a sprawl/scramble heavy game. He just needs to keep fights standing like the other HWs that are not well versed with their ground game in mma.

View attachment 884691
Do you believe that bigger and longer HW’s will begin to make themselves known to the MMA and boxing world with the success that he’s had. Could you imagine someone with Fury’s proportions fighting in MMA? It’d be insane and I hope we get to see it one day.

I think you meant "ushering in..."

No I'm not disagreeing. I'm not saying Fury needs to turn into a wrestler. He needs to get good TDD and learn how to get up if he does get taken down. I'm not saying Fury needs to switch his style and start having a sprawl/scramble heavy game. He just needs to keep fights standing like the other HWs that are not well versed with their ground game in mma.

All I said is that it's different when you don't have to defend takedowns, which is true.

Can we at least agree that it presents a number of new challenges for him? We've even seen wrestlers have success with the stand up due to fear of the takedown.

All I said is that it's different when you don't have to defend takedowns, which is true.

Can we at least agree that it presents a number of new challenges for him? We've even seen wrestlers have success with the stand up due to fear of the takedown.
I agree but I'm just pointing out those skills can be learned. There's a lot of boxing focused mma fighters now and the take down threat isn't that much of an issue with them because they're trained for it and leveled up their TDD to keep the fight standing so they can use their boxing/striking in the fights. It won't be easy but I feel Fury out of all the boxers can do it. He already showed interest in mma and has been training it here and there. He's actually defended take down attempts from Wilder very well during the fights. Yes I know they aren't full on takedowns but just his overall movement/awareness and how he angled out shows he has the basic understanding of how take downs work and how to defend it. You don't move like that from a takedown without training those movements.

Nah. Fury's physicality and skillset are built for boxing. MMA has wrestling and fury is not built for that. Striker vs grappler doesn't go well for the striker unless he has real good defensive wrestling. Fury would do poorly in mma, but hes a great boxer.

It would be silly to call him part of a "new breed" because Fury's such a unique specimen, but it would have been interesting to see what he could have done in mma. He's certainly broken with the stereotypical issues that giants usually have in boxing, that of being sluggish and defensively vulnerable. The coordination and agility he has as a genuinely huge dude, along with the excellent conditioning, is something not quite like any other boxer I can think of.

In mma giant heavies tend to carry the reputation for sluggishness both on the feet but especially on the ground. Semmy for instance had very solid defense on the feet (even while being less than graceful) but ended up getting outworked on bottom and beat up by quality top players. It would have been interesting to see if Tyson's unusual agility as a big man could also have been translated into quick agile scrambling.

Heavyweight Boxing is on fire right now!!! I feel like mma fans are jealous of Heavyweight Boxing momentum right now with Fury, Usyk, Wilder, Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz.

lol these mma fanboys are getting pathetic.
putting up volkov, struve, timmy.... lmao fury is one of the greatest hw and is the p4p best hw boxer of all time, a two-time ring magazine winner.
they stripped him for cheating

how many guys his size can move like he does?

Fury is a special fighter and guys who try to copy him just because they're tall are in for a rude awakening

Heavyweight Boxing is on fire right now!!! I feel like mma fans are jealous of Heavyweight Boxing momentum right now with Fury, Usyk, Wilder, Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz.

What a line up, the glory days are finally back!!/.../s

View attachment 884691
Do you believe that bigger and longer HW’s will begin to make themselves known to the MMA and boxing world with the success that he’s had. Could you imagine someone with Fury’s proportions fighting in MMA? It’d be insane and I hope we get to see it one day.

No. He is unusual in that he moves lightly for a 270ish pound guy. Has good cardio, coordination, and punch selection/variety to his game.

You find find too many big fellas like that

View attachment 884691

I've always been interested in Wilder fighting MMA, he could make LHW. With his reach and power he'd be scary as hell, though a long skinny frame like that would be enticing for a wrestler of course.

Punching power being something you are born with is one of the biggest myths of combat sports. Punching power is developed. The power you are born with, and the power you develop through work/training is not the same. Remember Usman? He turned into a KO fighter. It's in the training and technique. Everyone has power, not everyone knows how to punch with power.

Hespectfully disagree.

You can work on accuracy, technique etc which will improve your ko power but there is nothing mythical about natural born punchers.

Lets say average Boxers are born with 5/10 punching power and improve with hard work to 8/10. Natural Punchers are born with 7/10 and improve to 9 or even 10/10.

Yeah it's absolutely bro science but no one can tell me that Shavers, Foreman or Tyson are not natural born punchers. I just think you've never trained otherwise you would know what I mean. There are always some hobbyist bums at every club with great explosivness, rotational power, quick hands etc without any kind of extra training.

Last edited:
Hespectfully disagree.

You can work on accuracy, technique etc which will improve your ko power but there is nothing mythical about natural born punchers.

Lets say average Boxers are born with 5/10 punching power and improve with hard work to 8/10. Natural Punchers are born with 7/10 and improve to 9 or even 10/10.

Yeah it's absolutely bro science but no one can tell me that Shavers, Foreman or Tyson are not natural born punchers. I just think you've never trained otherwise you would know what I mean. There are always some hobbyist bums at every club with great explosivness, rotational power, quick hands etc without any kind of extra training.
I am a power puncher and I trained myself to be one. So I know it's bullshit when people use genetics or being born with it as an excuse. They are just not training power punching properly and not punching with proper power punching technique. Some people are naturally stronger yes, but that doesn't mean you can't work to those strengths. Nothing comes free in life. Everything is worked for. Thinking people are born with a skillset is a lazy way of thinking when it comes to training and fighting. I get called a natural all the time, nothing natural about it. If people knew the amount of work I did in completely unrelated body mechanics/movement/strength/conditioning they would understand I wasn't born with it and it isn't natural talent. Those phrases are excuses in my opinion.

Andy Ruiz? You mean Chadwick Rowan?

Back